Getting close! Helmet tutorials wanted.

I am so geeked!  As geeked as a 46 year old man who has had his kit for five years can be  :)  I am nearly finished with most of the body/arms/legs.  I have an ATA kit, so the helmet is something I have to put together myself.   I have a few questions about the helmet, as per my normal posts on here.

1.  I am doing an ANH TK Stunt.  From what I know, all of the markings need to be hand painted, correct?  I have a stencil set already, but I thought I saw somewhere that the mouth can be cut every other piece with a black grill put in behind it - to allow for a little ventilation.  Is this correct, or does the mouth have to be completely kept on and painted?

2.  I am looking for the best tutorials that even the dumbest, least skilled builder can follow... ok, this isn't a question - it's more of a plea for help!

3.  Who can put me on to the best place to buy the liner for fitting on the inside of the helmet?

4.  I know I have another question that I have forgotten about, so if you love helping people like me, keep an eye out on this post.

Thanks!  You guys (and ladies) are the best, and so helpful on here!!!  You honestly give me hope that there are more good people in this world   :)

Hi Ron,

Exciting to hear that your armour is coming on well. The helmet is really rewarding when it’s done so try to enjoy the journey.

Q1.  I am doing an ANH TK Stunt.  From what I know, all of the markings need to be hand painted, correct?  I have a stencil set already, but I thought I saw somewhere that the mouth can be cut every other piece with a black grill put in behind it - to allow for a little ventilation.  Is this correct, or does the mouth have to be completely kept on and painted?

Hand painted better suits the originals so it is generally the preferred method. The teeth are opened/cut - for ANH Stunt, this is 4 per side to comply with the CRL. (Some screen used helmets had more or less but most had 4 holes per side).

I found that Mike from TrooperBay gave a superb set of painting tutorials.

2.  I am looking for the best tutorials that even the dumbest, least skilled builder can follow... ok, this isn't a question - it's more of a plea for help!

This is the tutorial that I personally followed. This is my armour maker, Ross of RWA), making one of his lids. I found this incredibly clear and helpful.

*Be advised that this suits his helmet, so check out other builds of your armour maker if you can.

3.  Who can put me on to the best place to buy the liner for fitting on the inside of the helmet?

Don’t really have a liner for mine. Went for tactical helmet pads and blacked mine out with self adhesive sheets of EVA (craft foam).

84c48ab9f80adfd3331423a33c580ef0.jpg

Feel free to post any more questions. :-)

Dan

Edited by CableGuy
  • Like 2

I'm doing an Anovos kit, but I found that TK1636 Mike had some great tutorials and information.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ron that's great you kept at it are nearing the finish line. I've watched the vids that are suggested and they are really good those guys all make it look easy.
Especially Mike, TK 1636.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Thanks, fellas!  I also found an old one I looked at in the beginning of my build - by Pandatrooper.  Helpful, but yes, they all make it look so easy!  I need a video made by a doorknob like myself who'll make it easier to follow  :)

14 minutes ago, rzill said:

Thanks, fellas!  I also found an old one I looked at in the beginning of my build - by Pandatrooper.  Helpful, but yes, they all make it look so easy!  I need a video made by a doorknob like myself who'll make it easier to follow  :)

Yeah I have to remind myself it isn't hard but it's unfamiliar stuff. Then you see some people that make it look super easy and realize they've probably done several builds from several makers.:laugh1: