Haven't started cutting and I already have some questions.

XWingAce77

working on an anovos kit

question 1. when it comes to cutting pieces out do you prefer to use a dremel or utility/ exact o knife and why?

2. if you use a dremel what speed is it set to and do you use any specific cutting wheels? usually when i use a dremel to cut anything plastic it tends to heat the part up and instead of cut it melts its way through, the rough parts can be cleaned up with sandpaper but is there any way to make it look cleaner like if you were to use an exact o blade?

thanks guys!

I use a dremel for the larger pieces and then clean up the cuts with a pair of lexan scissors.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I seem to at least partly melt the plastic as I cut - I have no patience I guess.  I only use the utility knife on straight cuts and always away from inside corners (use a drill to drill a small hole in the corner and cut away from the corner).  I use lexan scissors a lot.

Here is the dremel wheel I use.

e27e0782629c8444a9a831ad2050a223.jpg

I recently trimmed my kit and documented most of the process.  you can find it here if you are interested:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44468-wooks-totally-dirty-td-build-ap/?do=findComment&comment=610860

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I use a dremel for the larger pieces and then clean up the cuts with a pair of lexan scissors.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I seem to at least partly melt the plastic as I cut - I have no patience I guess.  I only use the utility knife on straight cuts and always away from inside corners (use a drill to drill a small hole in the corner and cut away from the corner).  I use lexan scissors a lot.

Here is the dremel wheel I use.

e27e0782629c8444a9a831ad2050a223.jpg

I recently trimmed my kit and documented most of the process.  you can find it here if you are interested:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44468-wooks-totally-dirty-td-build-ap/?do=findComment&comment=610860

awesome thanks for the help!

Hi Brendan,

Personally, my armour was 1.5mm ABS so I used curved Lexan scissors for the whole build, with the exception of cutting the eyes. I did a small amount of sanding with the dremel, once the parts were glued, but even most sanding was done by hand for more control. 

I found the dremel essential for my blaster build but not really required for my armour. :duim:

Best wishes

Dan

• Like 1

Hey Brendan. Got some solid advice from the troopers above me. I would suggest practice using the Dremel on some spare ABS plastic if you never used one before as it can get a little tricky if you are not careful. 

An Exacto knife and some Curved lexan scissors can go a long long way for your build but does take a little longer to complete the cutting/trimming. 

Both methods are great. It will come down to you and your skills with a dremel. Good Luck!:salute:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
In order of primary usage:
1. Exacto knife
2. Belt sander
3. Dremel
Thanks! Also i was following your tk build thread, it has been very helpful, going to start mine soon as well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, XWingAce77 said:

Thanks! Also i was following your tk build thread, it has been very helpful, going to start mine soon as well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome, glad it helped :duim:

• Like 1

I used in no particular order

Lexan scissors until the handle broke than I used tin snips

Utility knife for straight cuts using a metal yard stick as a guide

Dremel with sanding wheel for smoothing things out.

• Like 1