Greetings and Salutations from Nebraska

Up until this year I had never heard of the 501st Legion.  I've seen pictures of folk dressed in Stormtrooper costumes and thought "wow, that's cool" but I had no idea that an organized group was behind it.   

Then I met TK-5107 and he explained to me the 501st and his experiences.  I expressed my interesting in learning more and he invited me to an armor party.  That was pretty fun and really made me want to be a TK even more.  So I volunteered my services as a wrangler and photographer for their next troop.  My offer was accepted and I was invited to Star Wars night with the Omaha Storm Chasers on May 4th.  That was a blast.  Seeing the kids (both young and really old) reactions was a delight.  

Two things I learned that night.  One, I *will* be a Stormtrooper.  The only question is when.  Two, Wookie trumps Trooper.  There was a fellow (who's name I forget) wearing a Chewbacca costume.  For several hours he never moved.  He had a steady line of people wanting pictures with him.  While other 501st and Rebel Legion members had requests for pictures, their lines were no where near as long.

While I've been perusing these forums (and hitting the "New Posts" button till there are no results) since March 18, I haven't posted anything until I was positive I had the financial means to order the BBB.  I'm still not sure about that day but I figure I may as well start the process of making the smaller purchases for build supplies, etc. and figure out what the total cost will be.  Approximately...

So, for the big question.  What kit to get?

From the thread "The various types of armor and where to find them" it has the following considerations:

1) Your budget
I told my wife about $900 for the armor alone.  This was going by RS Propmasters cost, assuming I have a proper currency conversion rate.  Granted if I can get a kit for less my wife would be very pleased.

2) What your body size is (yes, different armors lend themselves for different body types) *
I'm 5' 11" tall and 195 lbs.  Average build with extra relaxed muscle above the hips (42" worth).

3) How experienced are you at building armor
I'm a newb but looking forward to the build process. Regarding material, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking fiberglass will require a lot of priming, sanding, repeat. I don't think I want to try that my first time.

So, given that information would any of the armors fit me or should I go with AM, RT, or TM given my beer abs?

I guess another consideration is screen accuracy vs sleekness (for a lack of a better term).  While I appreciate the screen accuracy of the RS buckets, I think I'd rather have a nice smooth helmet without the authentic bumps and whatnot.  The R1 bucket slots (instead of painted stripes) really appeal to me but it's currently only available in fiberglass.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

• Like 2

Welcome aboard future Trooper!

My suggestion is to check out a few of the build threads of each type - then you can get eyes on of what might suit you best.

You’re off to an epic start and can’t wait to hear about which one you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello and welcome to the FISD! Something you can do in your research is looking up various EIB and Centurion application as applicants often list their height and weight. That will give you an idea of how to armour might fit on you (obviously body shape will vary outside of height and weight, but it's not a bad start). Unless you have your heart set on building an R1 trooper, you'll more than likely be working with ABS. Which TK are you looking to build? ANH Stunt?

Welcome aboard, Ray.

The others pretty much have you covered. Checking out build threads and approved EIB and Centurion applications of those armour makers will give you a really good idea of how they sit on different frames.

Most original trilogy armours will be ABS. it’s nice to work with, which is good.

Love the story behind your choice to join. It’s a wonderful, worldwide family and I’m sure you’ll love it! :-)

Best wishes
Dan

Aaron, Brien, Dennis, Q, Ilan, Shane, Luc, Erik, Dan,
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will definitely be checking out the build threads and EIB and Centurion applications with a bit more scrutiny.

Luc, since ABS is probably my best bet for my first build, I'm looking at ANH Stunt and aiming for Centurion.

Erik, if you could take some detailed pictures of the out of the box AM kit that would be awesome!

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Ray!

The guys already told you my best tip so I'll just say great story and who let that thing into a troop!

Good Luck Future Trooper!

Hi Ray! Welcome to FISD! If you have any questions, we are always here to answer them. Cheers!