Actionsdower Requesting Pre Approval Review (RS)

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Jim

Do you have a picture of the other side or that elastic? Basically, where the popper is?

You could possibly move the popper, pinch and sew the elastic to make it a little shorter or attempt removing the glue.

Depends on what your working with really. :-)

This is the only other photo I have.  I can take another tonight after work.

BF41dTI.jpg

2 minutes ago, Actionsdower said:

BF41dTI.jpg

He was asking for a photo of the strap the connects the shoulder to the bridge. what we need is the other side of the strap hanging off the top of the shoulder

BF41dTI.jpg

No worries mate.

I’m guessing there’s a popper roughly where the red circle is. Depending on how it’s attached, you could try moving it to (roughly) where the green circle is. This would pull them up towards the shoulder bridges and reduce the gaps. :-)

8bde9d07421c86d6bc53cd2a03a41d2b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

No worries mate.

I’m guessing there’s a popper roughly where the red circle is. Depending on how it’s attached, you could try moving it to (roughly) where the green circle is. This would pull them up towards the shoulder bridges and reduce the gaps. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no circles lol

You should be fine just ripping the elastic out even if it’s CA glue, on my first suit I had to shorten my shoulder straps and did just that it’s faster and easier than removing and re-sew the snap:)

• Like 1

And...the shoulders also look a bit big, especially from the back, I think it will look cleaner if you trimmed them down some, not trying to be difficult - just wanting you to look your best:salute:

I took a couple more photos of the strap, showing the popper.  Are these helpful?

jqKInUi.jpg

YHrv7d1.jpg

Also, I decided I'm asking RS for a replacement TD.  The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.  They assembled it with the writing in literally the worst place it could be; they could have easily rotated the conduit a few degrees so it would be hidden.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Actionsdower said:

I took a couple more photos of the strap, showing the popper.  Are these helpful?

jqKInUi.jpg

YHrv7d1.jpg

Also, I decided I'm asking RS for a replacement TD.  The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.  They assembled it with the writing in literally the worst place it could be; they could have easily rotated the conduit a few degrees so it would be hidden.

yep perfect. yeah you need to move that snap a lot closer to the actual shoulder bell, that will help tighten things up

• Like 3

So I just undo the stitching holding the snap on, move it a bit, and re-do it?

Also, and this is a good piece of general knowledge, I emailed RS asking about the writing on the TD.  They came right back and recommended using nail polish remover.  Guess what, it worked perfectly.  So now I have a clean, gray TD with no need to paint.

• Like 5

Also, and this is a good piece of general knowledge, I emailed RS asking about the writing on the TD.  They came right back and recommended using nail polish remover.  Guess what, it worked perfectly.  So now I have a clean, gray TD with no need to paint.
Yes just pull the stitches and then adjust your snap/popper to where it will give you a slightly snugged fit. Then sew it back on.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Actionsdower said:

It will be som much easier to just remove the elastic and reglue - but it’s your choice of course :salute:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

It will be som much easier to just remove the elastic and reglue - but it’s your choice of course :salute:

@Actionsdower, Go this route if you cant sew, or if its one of those, "ill just youtube it" things, I wouldn't trust a first time stitch on something that is gonna take that much stress.   

Edited by Commander Gree
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 4:43 AM, TheSwede said:

It's actually not a very complex stitch, I could probably do it.  That being said, I'd prefer to reglue it.

Should I just try to rip the strap off, or do I need to soften the glue with a solvent?  The armor is PVC, would something like mineral spirits be safe for that?

This page indicates yes:

https://www.calpaclab.com/pvc-polyvinyl-chloride-chemical-compatibility-chart/

16 minutes ago, Actionsdower said:

It's actually not a very complex stitch, I could probably do it. 

Yes I have no doubt you can :duim: my point was ONLY that it`s much faster hence easier which ever word you choose to use, to remove the elastic and there shoulden`t be any need for a solvent, just a good pull working your way up, you don`t want to stretch more of the elastic than you have to, so don`t just grab it at one end and keep pulling, keep the grip just at the egde of the glue and work your way up. If disaster strucks and the elastic gets torn then you still have the option to remove the snap, clean that elastic of, get some new elastic, sew it on and carry on becoming a Stormtrooper:salute:

• Like 2

Look, having built many RS armor, you are worrying about nothing . Get hold of the black elastic and tear it upwards away from the inside of the shoulder bell ...it will come away easily . Then re position it and glue it back with superglue. I have done it many times..it's so simple !!!! Even thinking about re stitching the snap is a stupid idea, 

7 hours ago, Rob .T . said:

Look, having built many RS armor, you are worrying about nothing . Get hold of the black elastic and tear it upwards away from the inside of the shoulder bell ...it will come away easily . Then re position it and glue it back with superglue. I have done it many times..it's so simple !!!! Even thinking about re stitching the snap is a stupid idea, 

I'd like to make a few points here. It's nice to offer help when you're a master builder here but take in consideration that this recruit is new and nervous and is dealing with a commissioned set. So his building expertise is limited. Your post came in kinda HOT and didn't end well with saying another Troopers idea is " Stupid":(

Remember, Troopers helping Troopers!:duim:

My other point is I have a friend who commissioned a set from RS and I helped him with final fitting for approval and I had to restitch all the snaps for him. RS doesn't put much stitch to them. Really just enough to get it out the door. 

Learning to fix your armor will come in time. 

Good Luck with fixes and approval!

• Like 6

The bells are always a problem with RS commissions. I believe the problem looks to be that they trim them flat when they should be curved, which allows the sides of the bells to come in closer to the chest plate. They also look to be on the big side too. Take a look at these bells to give you an idea of how to trim them if you feel like it. I can also get some measurements for you to maybe trim them down a bit.

• Like 2

Hey man, that RS armour's looking good!

A lot of very good suggestions here. Please don't get overwhelmed! Your amour absolutely should be rock solid for basic approval. In fact, I think RS armour is supposed to be delivered as EIB approvable, with a little bit of work for Centurion.

On the topic of the brackets...I must admit I've seen those things migrating further and further out onto the armour surface with RS over the past few months. Pretty sure it's due to the fact that they do eventually break and pull through, the return edges bend, etc. over time, and it's stronger the further out they can push it. The screen worn armour did the exact same thing over time. 

Oh, and on the topic of belt...I just use a black leather dress belt. It's strong, it stays in place, and once I got the thighs straps in place the best I could, I was still able to micro adjust the position according to how tight or loose I made the belt--what notch I chose.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, menschie said:

Oh, and on the topic of belt...I just use a black leather dress belt. It's strong, it stays in place, and once I got the thighs straps in place the best I could, I was still able to micro adjust the position according to how tight or loose I made the belt--what notch I chose.

I ended up going with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Klik-Belts-Tactical-Release-Buckle/dp/B071GM3MDL

It's much wider/thicker than the one that came with the armor, so it not only stays in place better, but it doesn't get folded over so easily.  The quick-release is also a nice touch.

Let me know if I'd get a better response in a different thread/forum, but I was hoping to get some advice.

The RS suit didn't come with the biceps attached to the shoulders (though they are attached to the forearms).  This means just friction holds them in place, and it works about as well as you'd expect.  So I'd like to attach the biceps to the shoulder bells, but I would like to do it so that it's adjustable.

What would be the best way to do this, and what materials would I need?  I'm picturing just some webbing with a triglide (is that the right term?), should be pretty straightforward but i'm 100% new to this.

2 hours ago, Actionsdower said:

Let me know if I'd get a better response in a different thread/forum, but I was hoping to get some advice.

The RS suit didn't come with the biceps attached to the shoulders (though they are attached to the forearms).  This means just friction holds them in place, and it works about as well as you'd expect.  So I'd like to attach the biceps to the shoulder bells, but I would like to do it so that it's adjustable.

What would be the best way to do this, and what materials would I need?  I'm picturing just some webbing with a triglide (is that the right term?), should be pretty straightforward but i'm 100% new to this.

If i might ask, why would you want them adjustable? once they are on at the right place, they dont need to move from there. Most people either put snaps with an elastic band running between the 2 parts, or glue the parts together. If you go look through the pre approval threads, or the WIP threads you should see tons of pictures of this.

42 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

If i might ask, why would you want them adjustable? once they are on at the right place, they dont need to move from there. Most people either put snaps with an elastic band running between the 2 parts, or glue the parts together. If you go look through the pre approval threads, or the WIP threads you should see tons of pictures of this.

Mostly because I don't trust myself to get it in the right place, so want to keep my options open.  I'm also going to be messing with the shoulder bells, so I want to be able to accommodate a bit of a change if necessary.

However, the more I think about it, the more I feel you're right.  If I get the shoulders all set first, it shouldn't be too much trouble.  Please prepare yourselves for a "Does this look right?" post in the coming days, haha.  Seriously though, you all have been great throughout this whole process. 

Edited by Actionsdower