Actionsdower Requesting Pre Approval Review (RS)

Alright, have a bit of an update.  I've been hitting the job search pretty hard these past couple months, which finally paid off last week!  So, once I get settled in the new digs, I'll have some more time, but I've been whittling away here and there.

I slightly moved the straps that hold the shoulder bells onto the torso shoulder straps.  This looks good, but introduced a new issue.  The right-side shoulder strap (the one that has a snap closure to hold the chest and back plates together, gets pulled out to the side.

You can kind of see it here:

d7pjddS.jpg

And it's much more visible up close:

oMNVhe2.jpg

The two shoulder-bell straps are of an identical length; I must have measured them four times before and after re-gluing.  Any suggestions on what I can do about this?  It ends up making the arms slightly uneven, and just looks weird.

I'm also having a hell of a time attached the biceps to the shoulder bells; they're held on in the photos with tape.  I had thought the way to do this was by running a strap up the inside.  See a partially-glued version here; I haven't yet glued the strap onto the shoulder bell.

JSwxCFb.jpg

I'll get everything measured, and then tape up a test-fit, but just with gravity, everything ends up hanging differently.  So it's extremely hard to predict if it will look good and appear even.  Can anyone point me to part of a build thread or something that goes into some detail on this?

I actually applied to my local garrison last month, and with this stuff sorted out I should be in good shape, so this is really all I have left to do.

Edited by Actionsdower

Jim,

You might want to try replacing the white straps connecting the back and chest plate with something more sturdy. From the picture above it looks like the weight of your arm parts are pulling the strap out of shape, hence the uneven look (I think you have got your measurements right).

If you can’t find a thicker material, maybe folding the strap into double layers would help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, giskard8 said:

Jim,

You might want to try replacing the white straps connecting the back and chest plate with something more sturdy. From the picture above it looks like the weight of your arm parts are pulling the strap out of shape, hence the uneven look (I think you have got your measurements right).

If you can’t find a thicker material, maybe folding the strap into double layers would help.

That's a good point.  I'd rather not have to re-do the stitching, so I might try just reinforcing the existing straps.  The elastic strapping I have is a bit heartier than what came on the armor, so that may help.  Only issue is mine is black, not white, but it shouldn't end up showing so it's likely not an issue.

That's a good point.  I'd rather not have to re-do the stitching, so I might try just reinforcing the existing straps.  The elastic strapping I have is a bit heartier than what came on the armor, so that may help.  Only issue is mine is black, not white, but it shouldn't end up showing so it's likely not an issue.
Is it narrower than what you have already attached? If so then I don't think it would be an issue.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

On 9/17/2018 at 3:12 AM, Actionsdower said:

And it's much more visible up close:

oMNVhe2.jpg

That small white elastic is supposed to go around both the shoulder bridge and the main elastic thus keeping the bell more in place and keeping the shoulder bridge nicely over the back tab so try that:salute:

On 9/18/2018 at 8:23 AM, TheSwede said:

That small white elastic is supposed to go around both the shoulder bridge and the main elastic thus keeping the bell more in place and keeping the shoulder bridge nicely over the back tab so try that:salute:

Want to know something funny?  When you pointed that out right there, that was the first time I'd noticed that little elastic band.  I'll try actually using it, lol.

• Like 1

I gave up on white elastic connections between the chest/back- it stretched out way too fast and would never sit right, much like what you're experiencing.  I switched to white nylon- no problems since!  (White elastic is listed as preferred per the CRL, but not required.)   That could be an option for you.  The shoulder bell to the nylon connection is black elastic, though, and so far so good.  

• 4 weeks later...

So here's what happened: I fixed the shoulder bell elastic and was able to get the wayward shoulder straps under control.  I also used the time to attach the biceps to the shoulder bells.

Resubmitted the new photos, and was approved!  You're now talking to TK-10668, Golden Gate Garrison! I've had a lot of fun so far, but have a feeling I'm just scratching the surface.  Big ups to all of you here for your knowledge and patience!

However, I started my new job literally yesterday, and will be out of town next week.  So, have to miss a few possible first troop opportunities. Oh well, there'll be plenty more.

• Like 1

Congratulations Jim. Do not forget to request 501st access with your new TK ID to find some new sublevels at FISD.

Edit: oops, you already did  :D

Edited by T-Jay

• 3 weeks later...