The Captain Requesting Pre Approval Review (Anovos)

1.  First/last name: Winston Thompson

2.  Future Garrison/Squad/Outpost or local area: Southern California Garrison

3.  Armor maker: Anovos

4.  Helmet maker: Anovos

5.  Cloth belt maker: Home-made

6.  Neck seal maker: Stormtrooperundersuit.com

7.  Boot maker: Totally Killer (TK) Boots

9.  Blaster maker (if applicable): HFX Productions (Hyperfirm – ANH E-11)

10.  Gasket maker (if applicable): N/A

11.  Height  (optional): 6’ 1”

12.  Weight (optional): 195lbs

13.  TK type (ANH Stunt/Hero. ESB, ROTJ. TFA etc.): ANH Stunt

14.  Name(s) of any Trooper(s) who significantly helped with your build: Joseph (@justjoseph63) for answering my plethora of questions, Tony (@ukswrath) for an awesome Anovos guide!

Photos: (First set. See 2nd set below)

Front

pVmL63t.jpg

Back

YNMqPns.jpg

Right Side

WWaYMLc.jpg

Left Side

5Zn7AQG.jpg

Ab Close-up

3QoJ6tc.jpg

Helmet Front

k502XYB.jpg

Helmet Right

qwgW0nt.jpg

Helmet Left

f7Vi01Y.jpg

Helmet Back

1MZQBw8.jpg

Extra Photos:

TD Top-down View (Because I know the positioning has come up in the past on these posts)

A7RRAEh.jpg

E-11 Left

orEuZWS.jpg

E-11 Right

ehs3kSI.jpg

Headshot (Blurred because I don't want to include my face until I get approved. Won't blur for actual submission)

F5bK41K.jpg

Action Pose

gqA6DRZ.jpg

Things I already know will cause concerns or are issues for L2/L3:

Helmet Frown needs less return edge between teeth, and maybe slightly less on left eye.

Helmet ears are R1 style (ridge around the circular part)

Back Plate came a little loose on the left side, creating a gap. (Already fixed, but not until after photos. Will this create basic approval problems if I still use this photo?)

Left thigh has gap on back-side at bottom. (trimmed to be a bit larger, haven't yet shimmed the bottom edge/ridge)

Left side kidney-to-ab strapping popped when I raised my arm, hence the gap you can see almost covered by the belt. This is not normal, but I know that L3 will want to see a cleaner, more even connection there. Will the current gap cause basic approval problems if I use this photo?

The neck seal appears to flare out at the top. This is actually a cover for my upper neck+chin, which I slipped down for the headshot. Not actually a problem, just looks a little bad in this photo.

My left shin came undone. Whoops. Will this photo cause basic approval problems?

I know some of these points are in the "Well you could've just fixed those as you were taking pictures" category, as well as adjusting the lighting/background. But my "helpers" weren't very helpful...

Looking forwards to your feedback!

- The Captain

2nd Photo Set!

Front

XMQy5pP.jpg

Back

mf4gqrt.jpg

Right

u9T0OqX.png

Left

C140SE5.jpg

Edited by The Captain
Added 2nd Photo Set
  • Like 1

Looks like your aware of all of the issues and fixed most of them already. As for the photo submission. I got shot down for things like pieces not sitting properly. I think all garrisons are different but in mine it had to be perfect. If my thigh rotated I needed a new pic, not just a your good but rotate it when your trooping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi Winston, as Frank mentioned, it looks like you're aware of all the isues/potential issues.

I think that the only thing that will hold you back from the basic is the left shin being open. You'll need a solid photo of you wearing it correctly, otherwise your GML will be unable to verify that it does close and look correct on you. The main things that stood out to me are the shin (as mentioned), your back plate/kidney being a bit crooked, and the gap at the back of your left thigh. I'd prioritize these for your fixes/adjustments.

Of course, as you troop your first few events, you'll find other things to adjust.

• Like 1

Sorry for not responding right away! Got busy after posting. So...

On 7/7/2018 at 4:19 PM, Frank75139 said:

Looks like your aware of all of the issues and fixed most of them already. As for the photo submission. I got shot down for things like pieces not sitting properly. I think all garrisons are different but in mine it had to be perfect.

Ouch. So, besides the aforementioned back plate and shin, does everything else appear to fit correctly? You specifically mentioned thighs, were mine OK? (besides the back gap)

13 hours ago, lucnak said:

I think that the only thing that will hold you back from the basic is the left shin being open. You'll need a solid photo of you wearing it correctly, otherwise your GML will be unable to verify that it does close and look correct on you. The main things that stood out to me are the shin (as mentioned), your back plate/kidney being a bit crooked, and the gap at the back of your left thigh. I'd prioritize these for your fixes/adjustments.

Yup, I figured these issues would render the photos unusable. Shin is an easy fix, and I already adjusted the back plate to sit better. Do you think that this would be enough? What would you suggest for the back of the thigh? I was looking at just running a strip on the inside of that ridge to close it until I can get some ABS paste in there to fully seal it off.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, CableGuy said:

Looks like you’re well on track to basic. If you’d like some tips on L2 and L3, let us know.

Actually, I was looking through the L2 definition on the costuming database, and it appears to me (after I get my fitment/spacing issues fixed) that I would qualify. I know I didn't post images showing off everything in detail, but when I do my second set I'll include those shots. Would it be possible to go straight to L2 after approval, or is there a waiting period?

New set of pics coming probably Wednesday/Thursday

Thanks!

- The Captain

Actually, I was looking through the L2 definition on the costuming database, and it appears to me (after I get my fitment/spacing issues fixed) that I would qualify. I know I didn't post images showing off everything in detail, but when I do my second set I'll include those shots. Would it be possible to go straight to L2 after approval, or is there a waiting period?

Hi Cap,

Once you have your approval, you’ll have to then start a separate EIB application thread for L2. As you say, you’ve clearly built your kit with higher levels and I’ve no doubt that you’ll be able to reach them, however they have to come one step at a time, and in order.

Based on previous EIB/Centurion applications, little suggestions might include trimming the return edges off the smaller ab plate, perhaps extending the frown paint a little, the gaps that you’ve mentioned etc. I’m not sure if the seam lines on the back of the thighs will come up as a concern: I’m not sure I’ve seen that before. But that will all come up when you start your L2 application. Those would be very small, easy changes but really add to the out and out look.

Best wishes,
Dan :-)

• Like 1

Most issues have been brought up already, so you should be in pretty good shape for submitting to your GML, Winston.

You can apply for level 2 right after your basic approval, but you will need to apply for legion access here at the FISD first:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/ which is pretty quick.

I would also take some paint to the frown points and open up those teeth a bit more:

y5c7796.jpg?1      

Reference image

mcOD6PR.jpg

Your large ab button plate is spot-on, but the smaller 4 button one needs to be trimmed at some point.  It should be fairly easy to get it off with an exacto knife and a bit of patience, but it should look like the one below.  (Note that it is flat and has square corners)

Reference image

0zOTOWM.jpg?1                 fQSlDwg.jpg

Best of luck on your basic approval, sir, and I look forward to seeing your EI submission!!  :duim:

• Like 1

This is what I got shot down for. I highlighted your pic. It’s a simple fix but even the slightest misalignment and I’d got told to redo pics. Make sure it’s on straight line.

IMG_3422.thumb.PNG.4997392bee846eff94be10793572b930.PNG

• Like 1

Yes, for the thigh, just glue in some scrap and then fill with ABS paste. The other option is cutting out the knees for mobility, which you might need to do anyway. Saves you the trouble. I don't think you should have many issues with basic.

Sounds like Frank's GML was pretty strict. My guess is that we would let misalignment fly in our garrison, as long as it wasn't too bad.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Once you have your approval, you’ll have to then start a separate EIB application thread for L2. As you say, you’ve clearly built your kit with higher levels and I’ve no doubt that you’ll be able to reach them, however they have to come one step at a time, and in order.

Sounds like a plan! I was wondering if there was any sort of "must be a legion member for 6+ months" or anything like that, but it sounds like its just getting the armor approved first.

14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I would also take some paint to the frown points and open up those teeth a bit more:

Yup! I mentioned the teeth in my notes (I have a set of files on the way) but I was really worried about the extra frown paint. I know it's not required for basic, but I assume L3 will want this, yes? The ridges lose most of their depth at the edges, so I'm afraid I won't know where to stop on this particular helmet. I'll most likely bring it to an armor party so that I can have a little help and side-by-side comparison. 

14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Your large ab button plate is spot-on, but the smaller 4 button one needs to be trimmed at some point.  It should be fairly easy to get it off with an exacto knife and a bit of patience, but it should look like the one below.  (Note that it is flat and has square corners)

Hadn't caught that! I did take all of the return edge off (the backside of that plate is perfectly flat) but it appears that the Anovos pull is more rounded than original. I'm assuming that I can shave off 1-2mm worth from each side and end up with something more squared off. Again, maybe an armor party thing, so I can side-by-side compare.

12 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

This is what I got shot down for. I highlighted your pic. It’s a simple fix but even the slightest misalignment and I’d got told to redo pics. Make sure it’s on straight line.

Now I get what you were saying! Sadly I can't make those bottom cuffs of the thighs any smaller because of how my leg has to fit in and how flat they are in the back, but I did just try something. My thighs connect via straps from my Ab/cod piece, and this seems to be why they pull in like that. I added a pad to the outermost sides of the internal thighs, so that it pulls it away from my knees. This seems to get it to line up much better. When I post my "Take 2" pics, I'll showcase that in detail. Looks like it fixes the problem though. If not enough, I can run a second set of straps from the outermost sides which should even up the pull.

11 hours ago, lucnak said:

Yes, for the thigh, just glue in some scrap and then fill with ABS paste. The other option is cutting out the knees for mobility, which you might need to do anyway. Saves you the trouble.

Cutting out the knees? I didn't know that was allowed! Do you have any photos of other Anovos sets which have been modified for that? I'm going to stick to the scrap and fill for know, because my mobility was pretty good. But that sounds a lot easier....

Thanks for all of the help guys! Again, second set of photos to come probably tomorrow or Thursday!

- The Captain

Edited by The Captain
Spelling

Oh, I do have one extra question; How does the belt look? L3 ok?

Like I said in the info sheet, it is home-made so I wanted to check and make sure it was acceptable. I know it's fine for basic, but so was the super-flimsy Anovos belt from the stuff I was reading.

My main concerns are that it is still flimsy in the back (where the velcro pads are cause I had to sew those on) and that the internal folds of the canvas are slightly visible. Will this cause any concerns for L3 later on in my 501st career?

Thanks!

- The Captain

Cutting out the knees? I didn't know that was allowed! Do you have any photos of other Anovos sets which have been modified for that? I'm going to stick to the crap and fill for know, because my mobility was pretty good. But that sounds a lot easier....

Thanks for all of the help guys! Again, second set of photos to come probably tomorrow or Thursday!
 - The Captain

Basically make sure your cover strips are in a straight line.

Also if your thighs are strapped to your ab it’s gonna pull your ab down. Trust me I’m fixing that problem as we speak. I have (soon to be had) mine down that way.

As for the knee cutout here is a pic of my armor knee cut, you can see the trim job on the lower half of the thigh. It helps with walking and reduces armor bites. If your not having problems then you can always wait on that. I’ve gotten a few troops in and that’s why you start feeling the bites and what not. I literally went to work the day after my first troop and had huge bruises on the inside of my elbows. Everyone kept asking what happened.

IMG_3427.PNG

• Like 2

Great work Winston!  You've done a lot of work.     The staff already pointed out the required list.

Looking forward to your progress and application photos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Basically make sure your cover strips are in a straight line.

Also if your thighs are strapped to your ab it’s gonna pull your ab down. Trust me I’m fixing that problem as we speak. I have (soon to be had) mine down that way.

As for the knee cutout here is a pic of my armor knee cut, you can see the trim job on the lower half of the thigh. It helps with walking and reduces armor bites. If your not having problems then you can always wait on that. I’ve gotten a few troops in and that’s why you start feeling the bites and what not. I literally went to work the day after my first troop and had huge bruises on the inside of my elbows. Everyone kept asking what happened.

I actually had problems with my ab plate riding too high, and the thigh straps fixed that. Weird, huh?

As for the knee cut, I definitely will keep that in mind, but I'll wait until after my first troop. If it doesn't cause me issues, I think I'd rather avoid doing it. Thanks for the image though!

Thigh fixes are curing right now, so everything should be good to go tomorrow for new photos!

- The Captain

I actually had problems with my ab plate riding too high, and the thigh straps fixed that. Weird, huh?
As for the knee cut, I definitely will keep that in mind, but I'll wait until after my first troop. If it doesn't cause me issues, I think I'd rather avoid doing it. Thanks for the image though!

Thigh fixes are curing right now, so everything should be good to go tomorrow for new photos!
 - The Captain

You’ll get a better feel for things after a few hour troop

• Like 1

Winston, you have done great so far. If I might add one thing to what has already been said, and something you hit on. If you can get in contact with a garrison member, someone close to you, to help with you photos, that will make a big difference. That person will most likely already be approved and will know exactly what to look for. I got lucky as my wife is a theater teacher and has an eye for detail, so I told her all the things to look for that might be wrong, or need slight adjustments for photos, and she was on it. Having a trooper help you out could be huge because you wont be able to exactly tell whats wrong until you look at the pics. That person being there could fix it before the photo is taken, and thus save you a little bit of time and get your submission in. We will be waiting excitedly for your announcement of acceptance and your further process to begin your L2/L3 application

• Like 1

Also, the other things that kinda stuck out to me that may not have been mentioned, and for your furtherance into L2/L3 is your Hovi Tips, they should be white interior with white around the rim to show wear. As far as I can tell, your belt looks great. the TD (thermal Detonator) photo should actually be showing the connections of the clips to the TD, ie the screws used. the should be pan head screws that are black/painted. the placement of the clips looks to be right from what I can see, but that underside photo will be key for that portion of the approval (again this is for L2/L3). if you have any other questions or concerns, or get kicked back for whatever reason, have no fear/worry, we are here to help you and get you approved!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

the TD (thermal Detonator) photo should actually be showing the connections of the clips to the TD, ie the screws used. the should be pan head screws that are black/painted. the placement of the clips looks to be right from what I can see, but that underside photo will be key for that portion of the approval (again this is for L2/L3).

Like this?

hD2zMli.jpg

- The Captain

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Captain said:

Like this?

hD2zMli.jpg

- The Captain

Exactly! the things being looked at are the spacing of the clips, there should be little to no space between the clip and the end caps, and the screws should be pan head and painted black. that looks pretty good to me. If you can get that left clip closer then the better. but ultimately that will be up to the ones deciding your L2/L3 approvals.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, The Captain said:

2nd Photo Set!

Front

XMQy5pP.jpg

Back

mf4gqrt.jpg

Right

u9T0OqX.png

Left

C140SE5.jpg

New photos with the basic approval stuff fixed. (Don't know why the first one is yellow ish) Please tell me what you think!

- The Captain

Edited by The Captain
Photos didn't embed properly

2 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

If you can get that left clip closer then the better.

I don't know if you can see it well, but the metal is a little rolled up on the edges. At that angle, it makes it look like more of a gap than it really is. I'll take a more straight-on shot when I go for L2/L3, so it's not as misleading. Thanks for the heads up!

- The Captain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Captain said:

New photos with the basic approval stuff fixed. Please tell me what you think!

- The Captain

These photos are much better. looks great. I see a few issues for the L2/L3 but mainly has to do with trim and armor placement. You should be able to nail basic without any issues. but if something does come up, let us know and we can help you fix it. The GMLs are generally pretty good about telling you not only what to fix, but how. if you are in contact with your GML, could even help to shoot him over some photos before submitting and he/she can tell you if anything stands out right away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...