TheSwede`s FOTK build [KB]

TheSwede

Had time for a little session today as well so sanded the biceps and added more paste and put some on the ab/kidney to then sat them aside and started on the forearms. KB updated the molds so they are now 2 pieces instead of 4 and apparently makes them a breeze to build - sounds good:)

3n1kLwm.jpg

Identifying the parts that go together, this is the right.

DdxZr3F.jpg

Ref pic

ROw1Heo.png

The smaller piece goes inside, no trimming done yet though

cKV9Cls.jpg

This made me nervous upon receiving the kit but according to KB you cut that off and that would look similar to ref pic above,  the whole side was also paper-thin, almost see-through

3mDTHhq.jpg

KB for reference, looks wierd but really don`t have an option but to cut.

4XaOPyw.png

So that`s what I did - not liking the look of this….

4ouPhfa.jpg

The back side offers some option to size, not to much or they won`t line up properly as you can`t trim from both sides. Will look inte that more later.

HM8U7VQ.jpg

Rought trimmed the left and it was in "better" shape, also thicker, so did a gradul cut and to me that looks better so decided to rebuild the right with some abs but that`s for next time.

cJh3z6m.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

So...The forearms are sort of "blocky" by default but I felt mine were like putting the arm in a brick so I started analyzing by looking att CRL, build pics and screen shots….and came up with that some modifications are in order.

CRL pic: drew a straight line to show that there is equal amount of space between the line and the ridge

5cAXCsA.png

You can also see it here, borrowed a pic from Tonys build (Anovos) that seam get filled later but it served as a great reference point to make my conclusion. One can also see that the ridge goes on straight all the way from the wrist to the top and no curve at the end like mine has (see black line below), it just gets "higher".

C2jvnJR.jpg

Here`s mine, I drew alot of lines to help me decide but bottom line is that I will remove that blue section. Arrows point to the ridge I mentioned.

o9Sx33J.jpg

Unless proven otherwise I feel this mod will make them more accurate and as a bonus provide some sizing options for those who choose to do the same.

Or: I will have to buy new forearms - anyone got a spare??:smiley-sw013:

Edited by TheSwede

No turning back now

dzAHFKY.jpg

Making cutline #2

jG0G2Ic.jpg

Cut made

6PTwDRY.jpg

Checking..this could work

BbaFbpw.jpg

And it did, glued an inner strip and it’s ready to be glued together, some abs paste and sanding and it will be ready for paint. Very pleased how it turned out, much better shape to it:)

Before to the right and after to the left.

evJ5EnT.jpg

i1mIhXO.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Great problem solving Daniel, if you have to paint it anyways may as well chop away. ;)

Haha yeah I had the same feeling for it, endless sanding anyway so might as well ad some moreB) And thanks:)

3 hours ago, shashachu said:

I have the old 4 piece forearms but thought maybe the 2 piece would be too hard to size down for me anyway. Really nice fix!

Yeah that built in "flaw" turned out great if i can say so myself:smiley-sw013: And thanks, looking forward seeing your build as it unfolds:salute:

Todays collective work.

1cqrwC5.jpg

That bionic arm didn`t chip in one bit....

lLVII9Q.jpg

So...what did I do - Sanded both biceps, they are now ready for paint and might switch to glue them shut...such a turncoat:P

Also finished of sanding the ab/kidney section, next will be the ab boxes. 

And I remodeled the right forearm just like the left and added back to the odd looking cut-out with some abs scraps and pasted the lot.

yibBGAT.jpg

Right arm Before: glad I didn`t stick with that.

4ouPhfa.jpg

Edited by TheSwede

Coming along nicely, great work on the forearms, they definitely look better modified

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shashachu said:

I'm sure you mentioned this before, but you're doing your filling with ABS paste? How's that working out? Does it have any flexibility to it or does it seem like it might develop cracks?

Haven`t really put it to the test yet and I also decided to use a stronger filler for the ab/kidney and that holds just great ("Plastic padding" it´s for autobody work).

The biceps and forearms I´m using abs paste and I think it will be just fine as there`s not much flex in those pieces unless you go screen accurate and use velcro for the biceps and put them on/off by oppening them….for that reason I think I will glue them shut but I can do some flexing with them on my next session to see if they crack, don`t think they will though:duim: 

2 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Haven`t really put it to the test yet and I also decided to use a stronger filler for the ab/kidney and that holds just great ("Plastic padding" it´s for autobody work).

The biceps and forearms I´m using abs paste and I think it will be just fine as there`s not much flex in those pieces unless you go screen accurate and use velcro for the biceps and put them on/off by oppening them….for that reason I think I will glue them shut but I can do some flexing with them on my next session to see if they crack, don`t think they will though:duim: 

I've used most of Plastic Paddings fillers and they will crack under flex :( I'd smear it on a scrap piece the next time you use it just to test out, maybe i'm completely wrong :) 

17 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I've used most of Plastic Paddings fillers and they will crack under flex :( I'd smear it on a scrap piece the next time you use it just to test out, maybe i'm completely wrong :) 

This one has fiberglass in it and is just superstrong, I have flexed the ab/kidney section quite rigorously and all is good. I did however glue wide inner strips with plastic weld so that might be a factor, not putting much of a strain on the seam itself….I guess time will tell:)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 5:49 PM, shashachu said:

I'm sure you mentioned this before, but you're doing your filling with ABS paste? How's that working out? Does it have any flexibility to it or does it seem like it might develop cracks?

I simulated opening and closing the biceps repeatedly and no cracks but decided to glue them just the same = no worries over cracks:duim:

Spending friday night with the sewing machine

PqMmLQ8.jpg

nothing wrong with the gaskets but I wanted them more snug and taper more so some sewing was in order, thighs are done and currently working on the elbow gaskets and left one is finished. Didn’t take any before shots but there were a lot of wrinkles when trying the armor on, again nothing wrong with the sizeing from Theresa(geekypinks) but I’m bigger than average so can’t have much space beteeen limbs and armor unless I want to look like a cube so had to Keep the armor relatively tight although I would prefer not to. Anyways happy with the outcome and contemplating sewing the gaskets onto the undersuit but haven’t decided yet:)

lrJaJY3.jpg

8aTz0js.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Hopefully you bought the sewing machine dinner first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA! Of course I take care of business Frank but as it’s Friday I gave her a bun....figured it was appropriate...you know...that princess...:lol:

mWj1564.jpg

Decided to sew the gaskets to the undersuit

CXdZF28.jpg

And in order to stop me to change my mind I went a head and cut the strapping of

OCJOzN2.jpg

No going back...well I could always sew them back on but that would be a failure and the First Order doesn’t do failure:smiley-sw013:

BlZ2VCS.jpg

Gonna remove the velcro for the thigh pieces (top velcro) as they are no longer needed and it will make the gaskets a hair longer which is only a good thing, going to leave the others for now although I’m not sure I will have use for all, and for removing the velcro I choose a red cutter because...you know...the First Order...?

OCJmHBj.jpg

HjyMake.jpg

• Like 1