TheSwede`s FOTK build [KB]

TheSwede

1 hour ago, Ghollum said:

What ever works man.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

So true, it’s a really fun build to experiment on:)

And onwards we go...after some test I moved the front ”snaps” closer as there was a risk to get them tangled with the yoke comming down...I snapped them on and made a mark roughly were to drill and drilled a pilot hole and then the big one

7W2J9PD.jpg

Testing...jepp it works

JgZ8XTu.jpg

R4kKLny.jpg

Drilled away and strapping complete:smiley-sw013:

8OsjW6E.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

Well I set of to work on the bells but like many other times I shifted gear and decided to fix the  mounting for the TD. Most I’ve seem use a ABS support but I”m using aluminium, had a piece in order to make the shoulder brackets as per Tonys build (if you don’t know who I mean your on your own:smiley-sw013:) but then changed my mind and was going with Q:s ABS method (same applies here) but now I might do a hybrid between the two...but more on that later, it’s TD time:

I cut a piece that I thought would do the job

w3oTnko.jpg

I also made sure it would fit between the suspenders, they are actually some strechers for bed linnen or something (my wife knows, I got them from her:P)

Yeah the magnets are a mess in there...

Xi7Bmto.jpg

Then I snipped the corners and did some sanding

9mGysrk.jpg

Figured this was enough for a good bend

Z9oJcQM.jpg

Draw a line from the outside, put it in a wise and bend

WQ8a1or.jpg

WctnbDL.jpg

Og9Wbpa.jpg

The final bend you can do with your grip and feel YEAH! I’m powefull!!

4PsdTkY.jpg

cWtoEQ5.jpg

After that display of power it was time to glue, mixning it on the plate itself

VYdKf86.jpg

The bend came out a bit crooked but all that matters, unless you have severe OCD which is fine, is to have the top straight.

LlU20LV.jpg

Now onto shoulders...after I’ve taken care of some laundry, Yepp using a work perk isn’t always a joy, I’m also washing the vests from gym-class and they stink:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Nice work, I did find with my kit I needed a little bit of a curve in the bent section just so it sat a bit flatter. I found everything was a little snug once you have backplate and chest connected over the TD, a little thin foam or tape on the top of the TD will help stop some rubbing off of paint too ;) 

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, I did find with my kit I needed a little bit of a curve in the bent section just so it sat a bit flatter. I found everything was a little snug once you have backplate and chest connected over the TD, a little thin foam or tape on the top of the TD will help stop some rubbing off of paint too ;) 

You mean like this, if so I found that out too when wanting it to sit tight but I have snaps under the aluminium so figured that was the reason and I bent the corners in some:)

uCAHYK3.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

You mean like this, if so I found that out too when wanting it to sit tight but I have snaps under the aluminium so figured that was the reason and I bent the corners in some:)

uCAHYK3.jpg

Exactly ;) 

Support brackets are in, they may be a tad to long but easy enough to cut of that should be the case I would like to do some more work but it’s been far to late for some time now in this part of the galaxy so that’s it for now:)

nh6iMdM.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Only the swede chamfers inner cover strips :laugh1:

Are you doing the velcro overlap on biceps/thighs?

Well I made such a mess with the magnets in the back so feelt I had too:D

And I think I will glue them shut but haven’t decided yet - any ideas?

8 hours ago, TheSwede said:

If you're going for centurion (which I suspect you are:D) it is a requirement :) 

sRaJQcI.png

EDIT: They can also just be overlapped and glued without removing the seam. Maybe that was what you meant by gluing them shut? :) 

Edited by Ensi

9 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I have one set fully closed and the other set with Velcro, I find the fully closed doesn't seem to catch as much as the Velcro set bug that may not be the same for others ;) 

Coming along nicely

17 minutes ago, Ensi said:

If you're going for centurion (which I suspect you are:D) it is a requirement :) 

sRaJQcI.png

Ah! I am but CRL says they can be fixed or functional so was doing the overlap but not sure if to use velcro or glue:) Also wording is a bit fuzzy, ”should be overlaped”..if it’s mandatory it should read: seam is to be overlaped - thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have one set fully closed and the other set with Velcro, I find the fully closed doesn't seem to catch as much as the Velcro set bug that may not be the same for others ;) 

Coming along nicely

Thanks and yeah that’s my thought too and if they are glued they can’t (well atleast they shouldn’t ) come apart...velcro is screen accurate...still on the fence on what to use:)

Decided to go velcro to start with for the arms, and legs, that way I can size them more after wearing it a few times if needs be thus making the sizing process alot easier and allowing me to size them up or down as I see fit just making the overlap bigger/smaller by adjusting/replace the velcro....however….when I  taped up an inch ovelap and tried them on they were snug, I only removed the flashing so haven`t trimmed it down any and that felt wierd because all I`ve heard about this kit is that it`s massive..well it`s not. I had no problem with the limbs fitting when I tried them, thighs were about 2inch overlap on each side so plenty of room there, Shins a bit less but still ample room - not massive amounts though. Chest and back is unaltered meaning I left all I could, ab/kidney I cut 4 inches total and it fits snug around my waist. So this beeing a massive kit is simply not the best description, atleast in my opinion. Or the molds have changed but I don`t see why they would as he made the ab section taller to accomodate taller troopers, it seem strange that he would alter the width/girth….Aaaanyway I should get the bicep to work, I´ll see when I try them with the gaskets...whaaaat!! you haven`t?...no I haven`t as I haven`t trimmed anything other than the extra material:) My ego would be boosted if I needed to shim the biceps so not to unhappy after all:smiley-sw013:

What I have doen is to cut the pill-holes on biceps, smeared some paste, one side had tinner plastic so that`s why it`s such a mess...and I filled the seam on the ab/kidney using a stronger filler due to the pieces seeing some flexing when putting it on. Biceps are a test-subject with the paste, if I open the velcro to put on/of it might crack the seam but I wanted to experiment as I have faith in the abs-paste, they are easy enough to sand/refill and repaint if that happens.

It`s not finished yet but the stronger stuff hardens quickly so had time to rough sand that.

LlNgpyJ.jpgs3Q2HaL.jpg1FVR70t.jpg

• Like 2