TheSwede`s FOTK build [KB]

TheSwede

So...as I decided to use an inner strip to connect the back with the bottom front piece instead od´f an overlap some more cutting was needed and as I already had markings were the overlap ended from previous session I simply took the pieces apart and traced a line and cut it.

5XqyZ82l.jpg

Qnz0ocMl.jpg

Now all the parts are layed out, ready to be glued and I choose to use CA glue and plastic weld for the job and I´m sure there are other ways to do it but this is how I did.

Gos2Mpj.jpg

I started with the sides to the back, top part is closest to the camera.

x4bbzX7.jpg

I then glued the front pieces together and forgot to take pics of each section but the top and bottom piece gets glued to the tabs on the middle piece that you can see two pics up.

r2zMGii.jpg

I maneuvered the pieces together and rough fitted them (I tested this during the "tape-phase")

Lt7Xkx4.jpg

6EP6xMk.jpg

Made sure everything lined up and taped the middle piece to the sides for a good hold and started to glue the bottom piece, pulled it apart and spread the glue on that lower edge.

EbgMjcW.jpg

I then used the plastic weld to glue the middle and top part - repeat for the other side.

sSwiXBR.jpg

I glued the inner strip for last and put tape on the outside to make it easier.

1YioAXd.jpgFgrHdTn.jpg

All glued together, next up is some filling with abs paste and sanding before painting.

kkLt6FS.jpgJbHO8ru.jpg

59H2zFi.jpg

Been thinking about the cover and think I´ll go with magnets altogether and not use a hinge at the bottom to be able to take it of completely but we will see, have some other ideas for the back pack as well but for now...to be continued:)

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

Put on the first "coat" of abs paste on the back pack and as it dries/hardens I turned my attention to the belt. The rubber part of it was too wide so time to cut again…..used the fabric part that was included as guide (2") could just as easily used a ruler...the belt kit was a 2 part so I got the sponge (closed cell foam) from ebay. Started cutting and....hmmm...that smaller rubber band reminds me of something….

qy9HV61.jpg

Liquorice!!!!:happyandcheerfulbirthday:

hV9htdG.jpg

After a well deserved treat it was time to cut the sponge and had it laid out for marking when it hit me:icon_eek:

nINnuvi.jpg

Why not peel the adhesive and secure it, surely that`s gotta be easier and faster?! and---so I did, made a little rubber roll and placed it on the sponge and...well...rolled it on:smiley-sw013: cut it and that`s that.

ucmKKoC.jpg

LEEgpRe.jpg

And with all three layers (not cut to size yet though)

EQgMQnR.jpg

• Like 3

Not much to show but I have put in some work in sanding in between working on the Sandtrooper-stuff and now I think it’s ready for primer...in other words - to be able to spot more need of filling/sanding:P

kwWHEmk.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

My 3d kit didn`t have that raised section for the mounting screws so I took some thin abs and made one

After some cutting and painting this is how it ended up

Looks great! What did you use for the chrome/metal paint?

After the blaster it was time for the back pack and I decidedafter the primer that it was good enough, so after some paint and clear coating it was ready for the detailing, there were no decals for the  "trim" that goes all around the sides so that`s painted and no small squares pattern that goes on the handle/grip of the lid so I have to figure that that out...all in all pretty happy with it and still waiting on magnets for the lid so that`s only taped in the position I want it. It`s wery light so I´m sure magnets would hold it just fine on the back plate but as I´m going to have the vest I will use those straps to also secure the pack...not decided how yet, have some ideas though but need some armor done to be able to test those ideas:smiley-sw013:

TsgSTEN.jpg7u8jXOe.jpgmxGJIeG.jpgKyFK81L.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sandtrooper said:

Looks like BSP changed the decals for the backpack.  Here are the ones that came with my kit.

Decals

Yeah, thinking I was missing some decals I asked about it and they were the ones telling me to use marker to paint the "side trim" as they said they had changed the decals for not beeing any good:huh: I see you got the squares, that would have been nice to have though...not looking forward to cut out all of those..oh well…:)

Well this post don`t have much to to with the FOTK but did you notice that stuff in the top right corner in previous post? does it look familiar now when you look at it? If you think it`s TK parts you are correct….I have in between my own builds also been building a hybrid TK for my son and I wasn`t going to post about it but obviously changed my mind, it`s not "enough" for a build thread so decided to put it up here just to show my friends what I´m up to :) Apologies if this is to much of a side track.

60MvHtr.jpg

This is how far we gotten, I say we because my son has been cutting and sanding as well and the goal is to have him joining the Galactic Acadamy (he`s 16 come november) in time for Heroes Comic Con in September so we can troop officially together. Anyway...the hybrid part of it is as he has an FX kit and black series helmet and I bought a torso section from Anovos when they offered parts. I also had a kittle belt laying around from when I was going to modify my FX kit (oh yes I have one too) but I got some better armor insteadB) so...now you might think why did you get TM and RS armor for yourself and your son "get stuck" with FX?? Well….I´m not to sure he`s totally in to the whole beeing a Stormtrooper as much as wanting to make me happy so if and when he decides he wants to be a full member of the 501st when he`s 18 I will see to it he does so in style, this hybrid will work for now:)

Beeing a hybrid and all I still want it to look as good as possible so the outside is with Centurion specs but the inside is not built using the screen accurate method.

Okey. as I said this is the progress up untill today..oh drop boxes and hand plates are RS and the TD is TM and I also used my TM bells to trim the FX ones to a little nicer shape

MHCan1V.jpg

Today I started on the FX belt and timmed it down as much as possible, glued on some snap plates so it`s easy to replace with something more accurate down the road, made the angle cuts and lined up the drop boxes and glued down the elastic.

RJWUdpa.jpgHUd3O7O.jpgPmLTbMp.jpgPz0FHe9.jpg

Next was to connect chest and back and after fitting I simply drilled for the snaps instead of making a snap plate and gluing that...I promise it gets hidden by the shoulder bridges:P

u1ce9PT.jpg

Promise kept:smiley-sw013: Bridges are held on with velcro, did the other one,,,,

j3eCXoi.jpg

...and then I installed snaps for the shoulder bells to finish the connections for the torso

KFlSP5c.jpg

Pics to follow show the connections, outside Centurion in mind - inside easy to take apart in mind..except for the butt/kidney plate but they are basicly the same size as the ab so no real need to be able to take those apart.

ZcS1ICU.jpgoNHKizc.jpges8afZE.jpg

ksvYpqk.jpgCDK4ujF.jpgYqRTvQv.jpgAx7voRL.jpgN8cgjEI.jpg

• Like 1

Everything rough-trimmed and sort of lined up as I´m not 100% sure I paired them correctly, perhaps someone can shime in on that.

H7pcAq9.jpg

And I have the TD painted and clear coated although it looks a bit dull in this pic.

yWMhbAS.jpg

I also sanded the shoulder bells so they are ready for paint 

ZFE1sHp.jpg

And was about to glue the tabs but they didn`t seem to line up right, atleast they looked different from reference pics so I halted on that...I´ll probably need to trim the support tabs but no other KB build has mentioned that so perhaps the bells are upgraded and made smaller, as many have commented on how big they were and maybe the tabs have stayed the same.... I don`t know...anyways here´s how it looks.

The tab is protruding just over 1/2 inch at the top

LFdU0uw.jpgQif0uL1.jpgOgKxBy0.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shashachu said:

What paint are you using?

A standard white gloss paint, Think it`s sort of similar to rusteoleum (or whatever it`s called:P) The shine is fine in person though:)

1 hour ago, shashachu said:

And tabs look fine to me - what concerns you?

That they will be to visible from the front/back, one can just barely see it top of the right bell and I feel mine will show easily....the tabs seem to go to far down the sides:huh:

ROw1Heo.png

Edited by TheSwede

Here's two approved EIB applications where the tabs are visible: 

So looks like it shouldn't get in the way of approval. If you're worried about screen accuracy that might be a different issue.

18 hours ago, shashachu said:

Here's two approved EIB applications where the tabs are visible: 

So looks like it shouldn't get in the way of approval. If you're worried about screen accuracy that might be a different issue.

Thanks and yeah I´ll trim them down some as I feel they are a bit big compared to screen used:)

The front "dude`s" tabs ends a lot higher up than mine...how does yours look? Oh I can go check your build:smiley-sw013:

EDIT: and just did, yours seem to end way higher up, a bit hard to tell from the pic but looks alot more like the screen ones. Kinda makes me belive that the shoulders are smaller on my kit.....well not a major issue as cutting plastic is somewhat a normal state at the moment...mearly curious if there were a difference:)

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

Hm, I see what you mean. I'd not heard of KB making a new shoulder bell mold, but it's possible. You could also probably just scoot the tabs in a smidge and they wouldn't stick out as much.

4 hours ago, shashachu said:

You could also probably just scoot the tabs in a smidge and they wouldn't stick out as much.

Yeah I`ve tried that too and when the sides look good there´s not enough at the top....so triming it is:)

Well this post don`t have much to to with the FOTK but did you notice that stuff in the top right corner in previous post? does it look familiar now when you look at it? If you think it`s TK parts you are correct….I have in between my own builds also been building a hybrid TK for my son and I wasn`t going to post about it but obviously changed my mind, it`s not "enough" for a build thread so decided to put it up here just to show my friends what I´m up to Apologies if this is to much of a side track.

60MvHtr.jpg&key=2c054477ce0665bc46f4133281a5e82de4a075b09a9a5c368aff9a05f8db5ea7

This is how far we gotten, I say we because my son has been cutting and sanding as well and the goal is to have him joining the Galactic Acadamy (he`s 16 come november) in time for Heroes Comic Con in September so we can troop officially together. Anyway...the hybrid part of it is as he has an FX kit and black series helmet and I bought a torso section from Anovos when they offered parts. I also had a kittle belt laying around from when I was going to modify my FX kit (oh yes I have one too) but I got some better armor insteadB) so...now you might think why did you get TM and RS armor for yourself and your son "get stuck" with FX?? Well….I´m not to sure he`s totally in to the whole beeing a Stormtrooper as much as wanting to make me happy so if and when he decides he wants to be a full member of the 501st when he`s 18 I will see to it he does so in style, this hybrid will work for now
Beeing a hybrid and all I still want it to look as good as possible so the outside is with Centurion specs but the inside is not built using the screen accurate method.
Okey. as I said this is the progress up untill today..oh drop boxes and hand plates are RS and the TD is TM and I also used my TM bells to trim the FX ones to a little nicer shape
MHCan1V.jpg&key=f50a2f82f0e12abc114df9fe417199eae53f1bd619034d8df1c9aeee39b40bb5
Today I started on the FX belt and timmed it down as much as possible, glued on some snap plates so it`s easy to replace with something more accurate down the road, made the angle cuts and lined up the drop boxes and glued down the elastic.
RJWUdpa.jpg&key=a6ba40e220303176ba6cd0943d9b6718098ae2f2e100cbe4228e18a73d64015dHUd3O7O.jpg&key=3962dfa8165bc04d0b6336d44201b10edd5ca318e5d642efdd5f0a9869710354PmLTbMp.jpg&key=a7564dde0112bc676c30c0a00d741f11cc354e69dd9a026de892f7b14ec1b434Pz0FHe9.jpg&key=daa9dd4866d2a9dff7beb44c32b2397863e18f52ab460b469a5278a39b3b4f92
Next was to connect chest and back and after fitting I simply drilled for the snaps instead of making a snap plate and gluing that...I promise it gets hidden by the shoulder bridges
u1ce9PT.jpg&key=cf91ed767063a5925b2ccecc13725907871d840e52527dddf9d09070f4d08fc8
Promise kept:smiley-sw013: Bridges are held on with velcro, did the other one,,,,
j3eCXoi.jpg&key=d5bc8548b640cb0d0f0c68854bd79a80968b00e448a66602a59def65f4465a02
...and then I installed snaps for the shoulder bells to finish the connections for the torso
KFlSP5c.jpg&key=e7ee56c621bd855a3d81442a929191100ae54fbb26f6c0b49f067a18b0b65e17

Pics to follow show the connections, outside Centurion in mind - inside easy to take apart in mind..except for the butt/kidney plate but they are basicly the same size as the ab so no real need to be able to take those apart.
ZcS1ICU.jpg&key=1264f7c3cecdf55fbdc91357f5da700bd36398abfd04ea80fcb446bea0ad41e2oNHKizc.jpg&key=890911d9ca6c773dd4c092546b77296c97abc73598ff81ba2abd21e72ce799ebes8afZE.jpg&key=279394f61f3ed07e1b0d8a19945f981bb565054848dc8fe7548f96dd08c82c0b
ksvYpqk.jpg&key=8bbf1d3ce23a69172e4b65bb16ed2487b86d0f056c9d525406548f7c43183db3CDK4ujF.jpg&key=abd68e15b3969e5911a3823ea069abcc5d9cee98fd1dcd879e3003dc19fd2eb2YqRTvQv.jpg&key=be1a0bbc5071ffff1fc54311162a77890b00792c2dba4b1e9e885fa6492ea255Ax7voRL.jpg&key=cb4f43cd6e61e6c5632929a7b30095e898b174b14756bbf382121dbd5b654707N8cgjEI.jpg&key=502eb54758b76124bdffc8efe3b50efbd6f2e871c1d8e305db0c1cff638d364f

So, your other half has to put up with TWO armour building trooper men in the household!?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CableGuy said:

So, your other half has to put up with TWO armour building trooper men in the household!?!! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I´m the only full blown nerd she has to put up with (my son just humors me, he`s turning 16 and has other interests awakening:P) and I have to say she`s a Trooper about it given she has zero interest herself:smiley-sw013: 

• Like 2

So...time to get back on this, decided I wanted to use snaps to connect the chest to the yoke

mNQ6V0w.jpg

Figured this was a good spot...

F4PP8So.jpg

….so transferd that to the other side and driiled the holes

BcMD4Nf.jpg

Held the chest in place and marked were to put the snaps using a pen and the previously drilled holes

gaIK4F8.jpgTI17Igx.jpg

Yep this should work

7vcyhx4.jpg

So the next thing was to glue snaps to the chest and hammer the other to the yoke

MBdJMfu.jpgchhqqcr.jpg

Testing….and decided I was happywith it:)

OoiXNKH.jpg

Did some sanding to clean of the pencil marks and prepping for paint, happy how it looks but…..

Bl0RdkU.jpg

….all of a sudden life as I knew it was over!!

CRACK....

QQHOCFA.jpg

Rescue mission was sucessful so the happy life was back on^_^

rrFk9sS.jpg

• Like 2