FX Armor Still Approvable?

Hi!

I’m an old member wanting to get back in. I had an old FX suit that treated me well back in the day, but was yellowing and looking old, and I thought I would need to buy a new suit to get approved.  I finally was able to buy some ANOVOS armor, but after long waits and other setbacks was playing with the old FX set. 

I was able to find a product that has worked amazingly to remove the yellowing and the FX plastic looks great now. I have an updated helmet and was wondering what would be needed to make the old FX kit good for basic approval as either a stand in until the Anovos kit is ready, or for a back up suit. 

Any help would be appeciated, thank you!

• Like 1

Welcome back Will!

I’m sorta an old-timer myself and got back into active service this past spring.

Post pics in the pre-approval area and staff would be more than happy to evaluate your FX armor/updated bucket completely.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/191-tk-pre-approvals/

I'd say it depends on how your armor looks right now and how much you can do on your own. But if you got rid of the yellowing, I guess you're not work-shy. :D

Like Alan said, just make some pictures and put them in the Pre-Approval section. I got approved with my FX kit, 3 years ago. And it's still possible. ;)

Hi!

I’m an old member wanting to get back in. I had an old FX suit that treated me well back in the day, but was yellowing and looking old, and I thought I would need to buy a new suit to get approved.  I finally was able to buy some ANOVOS armor, but after long waits and other setbacks was playing with the old FX set. 

I was able to find a product that has worked amazingly to remove the yellowing and the FX plastic looks great now. I have an updated helmet and was wondering what would be needed to make the old FX kit good for basic approval as either a stand in until the Anovos kit is ready, or for a back up suit. 

Any help would be appeciated, thank you!

What did you use on the yellowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this product from the beauty supply store. After searching around and seeing it work on restoring other plastics I tried it on a spot of my FX armor. 

I just brushed it on with a small paintbrush and let the plastic it sit out in the sun for 1/2-1 full day. 

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-color/toner-and-developer/40-volume-creme-developer/SBS-760680.html

ill post some pics later when

I get a chance to show the difference before and after. 

I know trooperbay has a product that’s worked for a lot of people, I just wanted to try this because I’m could get it right away and I had this extra set of armor that I could play with. 

Edited by Weck

• 2 months later...

I have an opportunity to purchase an FX kit unbuilt. Is it a ton of work to get it approved??? I understand I need a helmet upgrade, but this would allow me to hang with my little Galactic Academy Recruits and play until I get a bucket..

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, Weck said:

I used this product from the beauty supply store. After searching around and seeing it work on restoring other plastics I tried it on a spot of my FX armor. 

I just brushed it on with a small paintbrush and let the plastic it sit out in the sun for 1/2-1 full day. 

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-color/toner-and-developer/40-volume-creme-developer/SBS-760680.html

ill post some pics later when

I get a chance to show the difference before and after. 

I know trooperbay has a product that’s worked for a lot of people, I just wanted to try this because I’m could get it right away and I had this extra set of armor that I could play with. 

That looks amazing. I'm still in my FX after 11 years.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, zilk said:

I have an opportunity to purchase an FX kit unbuilt. Is it a ton of work to get it approved??? I understand I need a helmet upgrade, but this would allow me to hang with my little Galactic Academy Recruits and play until I get a bucket..

Well, you need a helmet to get approved.  Actually you can make an FX kit to 501st acceptance for about $50 and a few hours of work.  I even wrote an article once on how to get it to EI, but it may be out of date.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, zilk said:

FX helmet must be replaced for all new approvals, as you know, and it can't be used to reach Centurion (L3).  Otherwise, I don't think it's a bad kit necessarily, but it's got some odd stuff that dates it, from what I've seen.  The ab plate, buttons specifically, may not be up to snuff anymore- but I'm not positive as ti's been a while since I've seen an FX kit up close.  

Otherwise, I don't see anything in the CRL that would actively exclude it.  Just check the CRLs and the parts carefully.  

I’m going off of memory, but aside from the helmet the breakdown is really like this:

1. Replace the plastic belt with a fabric one.
2. Affix the holster via rivets vs. using the loops.
3. Cut the cod off the back
4. Remove the silver tape from the TD and mount it using banker clips (or similar)
5. Replace the ab plate buttons

So, about $50 or so and a few hours of your time. :)