Centurion question: Rivets/Snaps on ANH TK Stunt

Hey guys! I am about to wrap up my ANH Stunt armor and have a few questions to ask regarding if certain rivet/snap types are required for centurion. I have an Anovos kit, which comes with instructions that I know aren't L3 ready (I'm trying to follow Ukswrath's guide), but most of the materials are correct. I would like to make an outwardly accurate costume, but I'm only shooting for L3 Centurion approval and not going above-and-beyond to make it as similar to the originals as possible.

Crotch Strap:

Anovos provides a strip of elastic with two snaps on the end; female, popper type with a black cap. To install it, there's a single split rivet (for the codpiece) and two male snaps (for the butt plate). I know that the split rivet and two males snaps are L3 correct, but I was wondering if the elastic strip to connect the two had any special requirements, and if the number of female snaps or that they have a black heads/caps would be an issue. (Other L3 build threads I have seen always show the crotch strap with a single female snap and it's fully silver/metallic)

Belt:

For the belt kit Anovos provides three pop rivets to connect the plastic ammo belt to the cloth belt (to be covered by the three square button pieces). I don't have a pop rivet gun, and would really like to not have to buy one just to do three rivets. Are pop rivets required for L3, or do any similarly-sized rivets work here?

Additionally, Anovos did not provide any rivets for the ammo drop boxes. Their instructions say to simply glue the white elastic to the backs of the boxes, but most threads I see use more pop rivets (which I would like to avoid). The CRL doesn't specify how the elastic straps are attached to the boxes, but will simply gluing the straps on cause an issue when going for L3?

Thanks for any help you can give. I know that the CRL doesn't specify on most of this, but I also know that Centurion inspections can go a little beyond what the CRL specifies (Like how I have to replace the Anovos cloth belt because it is flimsy, or adjusting how the armor sits). So if any of you out there do Centurion inspections and have any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

- The Captain

The head is not a problem, but if you want to change the snap head crome is better, for accuracy, for the belt you need 3 single cap rivet and you can close with an hammer

Tony Cerchieri "GodOfLibra" TK30977
Kowc0At.jpg

Hi Winston!  Some great questions there, and I will try to help you out. 

"So if any of you out there do Centurion inspections and have any input, it would be greatly appreciated!"

Along with Tony (ukswrath) I am one of the Deployment Officers who approve EI and Centurion levels.

Crotch strap-  The one Anovos supplies (1 inch black elastic) is what you will need, so no problems there.  As for snaps, any snap that can be seen cannot have paint on it, and must be silver/chrome/nickel in color.

Belt-  The type of fastener does not have to be pop rivets.  I have seen people use split rivets, Chicago screws, etc.  Since the head is covered by the square button covers and cannot be seen it will not affect approval, although pop rivets work really well.  Does someone in your Garrison have a pop rivet fastener you could borrow?

You do not need rivets to attach your drop boxes.  Many of us just make a loop of white elastic and glue it directly to them.  BUT... remember to make sure that the tops of the boxes touch the bottom of the belt.  There should be no gap.  Also, for level 3 the outer edges must align with the outer edge of the ABS belt.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

"So if any of you out there do Centurion inspections and have any input, it would be greatly appreciated!"

Along with Tony (ukswrath) I am one of the Deployment Officers who approve EI and Centurion levels.

Crotch strap-  The one Anovos supplies (1 inch black elastic) is what you will need, so no problems there.  As for snaps, any snap that can be seen cannot have paint on it, and must be silver/chrome/nickel in color.

Belt-  The type of fastener does not have to be pop rivets.  I have seen people use split rivets, Chicago screws, etc.  Since the head is covered by the square button covers and cannot be seen it will not affect approval, although pop rivets work really well.  Does someone in your Garrison have a pop rivet fastener you could borrow?

You do not need rivets to attach your drop boxes.  Many of us just make a loop of white elastic and glue it directly to them.  BUT... remember to make sure that the tops of the boxes touch the bottom of the belt.  There should be no gap.  Also, for level 3 the outer edges must align with the outer edge of the ABS belt.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Kinda funny we just talked about this

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

First off: Thank you so much! I definitely wanted to get the info "straight from the horse's mouth" if possible, hence my comment at the end there.

Great! Being that the black snap heads will be between me and the armor, it sounds like I don't need to replace them with chrome ones (as you can't see them)

Being that I have a ton extra, I'm probably going to go with heavy-duty split rivets or Chicago screws then. As for borrowing a tool, I mostly wanted to avoid pop rivets because I wanted something easier to undo/replace, as well as that I'm putting all of this together tomorrow (trying to be done on Sunday). Due to the time crunch, I didn't ask around. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for any other tool issues I might have going forwards!

One additional question: To avoid scratches on the ab/cod plate, I was going to put a cover over the back side of the belt rivets. Like a spot of glue, or even a little piece of fabric. Being that it will be on the inside of the belt (not seen), will that affect L3 approval?

1 hour ago, Commander Gree said:

Fantastic! And I am very familiar with the drop box placement. I already have everything measured out, I just wanted to wait till I heard back!

Thanks again for your help!

- The Captain

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Captain said:

One additional question: To avoid scratches on the ab/cod plate, I was going to put a cover over the back side of the belt rivets. Like a spot of glue, or even a little piece of fabric. Being that it will be on the inside of the belt (not seen), will that affect L3 approval?

That won't affect approval at all, Winston, as that is one of the area that cannot be seen.

18 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

That won't affect approval at all, Winston, as that is one of the area that cannot be seen.

Ok then. Thanks so much for all of your help, it's made things much easier on me.

I got my better cloth (with plastic inside) belt today, and have been working on drilling/gluing. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I am done, so that I can make one last verification for everything.

- The Captain

Here is a reference image of how the belt/drop boxes should look when complete, as well as one showing how high it should sit on the ab plate, (just below the bottom ab button):

DkpfxGT.jpg                     WNqioeL.jpg?1

6 hours ago, The Captain said:

I actually just did my ab-piece belt snaps today, and I found that Ukswrath's guide put my new belt  just a touch too high (over the edge of the bottom button on the plate)

When you say "over the edge of the bottom button on the plate", did you mean the bottom of the button?  That is fine, and much better than sitting too low, (you should not be able to see the lower part of the plate itself).  Here are 3 images showing acceptable variations:

Just below the button                                     Covering the bottom of the button                         Covering most of the button

CSMMDfI.jpg?1                  zFlkRCY.jpg?1                        kOUmWwg.jpg?1

The positioning of the drop boxes on your belt looks fantastic!  :duim:

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

When you say "over the edge of the bottom button on the plate", did you mean the bottom of the button?  That is fine, and much better than sitting too low, (you should not be able to see the lower part of the plate itself).

It was covering about half of the button. I know it's accepted, but I just didn't want to cover up any. I adjusted it so it sits right at the base of the button + ridged section on the plate (and not at the bottom of the plate itself).