SGTKTrooper - 2018 - HWT Backpack Build

Hi there,I’m TK40609 and greetings from Sunny Singapore to admin and all, 

I am just a novice in building backpack and armor and most of the times, I reference to whitearmor posts ,  FISD, CRL for my armor and backpack build. (without you and your posts, I would not have known how to begin, so thank you!)

This is the first time I am posting here as I think if I share, other builders may benefit with my limited skills and ideas.

To begin, 

My reference is to match closely to justjoseph63, Joseph's excellent NOTE ON HWT PACK SPECS post ( https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40081-tip-note-on-hwt-pack-specs/)

And referencing to ukswrath’s build thread (https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30034-hwt-backpack-build-part-1/) which came to me with many ideas.

My Goal;

I want to make my own backpack and be qualified as a HWT.(I just got news this week that I am approved) 

I’ll try to be as complete as possible. 

To begin; Materials

(Below currency in SGD and measurements in Metric System)

Cost of HWT Backpack Build

Wedco Oil Drain Pan - $73.75 ($23.67 + $50.08 shipping to Singapore)

#7 & 8 Tube - 80cm $5.30

White plate with 7 bumps for Antenna Tube - made by hand by myself with scraps.

#1 Top Left Button Box - $3.30

#1 Button Box Buttons -  9 x square rubber bumpers - $1.90

#2 Middle Tube - Clorox Disinfectant wipes. (258gms)- $4.45

#3 Top Right Vent Box - $13.00

#4 Bottom Left Radio Box - $24.00

#4 Box buttons x 2 - from milk carton- no cost

#5 Bottom Right Box - $16.00

#6 Drop Siphon Funnel - some random cup I found at home which meets the specific requirement and a plastic milk bottle which I use the material for the “skirting”

#7 -optional- Radio Antenna -$16.00

Backpack straps and back- $30(estimated)

Needles and thread

PVC sheets (1mm thickness) x  2 -from left over projects

Bolts,nuts and rivets - x20 or more sets - from leftover projects

Paint, Matt Black -$7 each x 2, Light Grey -$7 each x 1 -

Estimated total cost: around S$200

Required Tools;

1)Heat gun and Dremel tool kits 

2)garden snips

3)standard metal ruler and marker

4)E6000 or Pipe Glue

5)metal files 

6)Different grades of Sandpaper (leftovers from previous projects, grades doesn’t matter for this build)

Dimensions (general specifications ref Justjoseph63’s post) 

( all the boxes I found are electrical junction boxes)

Box#

Specs Given (Required)

1(top left button box)

Required:14x10x4.5cm

Found: 14x8.5x4cm

3(top right vent box)

Required:18x11x6cm

Found:15.8x9x6cm

4(bottom left radio box)

Required:29x19x6cm

Found:28.9x21x7.8cm

5(bottom right)

Required:20x13.5x6cm

Found: 20x12x7.6cm

7( Antenna Tube)

Required:Dia6.5x60cm

Found:Dia6x80cm

Pics to follow.mine’s too large to post, shall have to change format and repost.cheers

**Edited for better reading for each part's build

Edited by SGTKTROOPER
Edit for Easy Read

Hi Michael!  First, congrats on your 501st approval!  :jc_doublethumbup:  GREAT to hear that we will having another HWT join the ranks.

Looks like you have done a fantastic job on sourcing your materials, and I can't wait to see some build pics!**

I noticed that you are considering an antenna on your pack.  I would leave this off.  The bottom photo of the pack on the CRL shows it having one, but that is being changed.  Also note that the HWT CRLs have changed, so you should use those as a reference:  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt

If I can be of any help, just PM me, and best of luck on your quest for HWT!

"Pics to follow.mine’s too large to post, shall have to change format and repost.cheers"

**  I would suggest using imgur, which is an awesome site where you can edit and post your photos for free.  Daniel (Ensi) has a fantastic tutorial here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

Hi Michael!  First, congrats on your 501st approval!  :jc_doublethumbup:  GREAT to hear that we will having another HWT join the ranks.

Looks like you have done a fantastic job on sourcing your materials, and I can't wait to see some build pics!**

I noticed that you are considering an antenna on your pack.  I would leave this off.  The bottom photo of the pack on the CRL shows it having one, but that is being changed.  Also note that the HWT CRLs have changed, so you should use those as a reference:  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt

If I can be of any help, just PM me, and best of luck on your quest for HWT!

"Pics to follow.mine’s too large to post, shall have to change format and repost.cheers"

**  I would suggest using imgur, which is an awesome site where you can edit and post your photos for free.  Daniel (Ensi) has a fantastic tutorial here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

Lastly, now that you have your official 501st approval and TK ID#, I would request Legion Access here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/

Thanks Joseph!you are very kind! I am actually the 2nd approved HWT in Singapore! cheers

Legion access request sent separately.

i am trying to figure out imgur and shall be uploading the build pics soon.(just recovered from a bad eye infection)

Some pictures I post may not be in sequence but nonetheless, it shall show how I build the pack.;)

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

***How I made the white plate with 7 bumps for the Antenna Tube***

As I importing the shoulder straps to make the bumps is expensive considering the price and freight, it took me a while to figure out how to do this. 

Materials, tools and consumables;

1)wood plank as base x1

2)Chinese wooden chopsticks(round)x 2 

3)E6000 or any glue that does not give way to heat easily

4)PVC sheets (1mm thickness), 8x11cm, make a few pieces and use the best formed. 

5)heatgun

Steps:

a) saw the wooden rounded chopstick, 2.5cm x 7 pieces.

b)glue to the wooden base with a slight gap in between each stick and let glue harden overnight.

c) cut 8 x 11 cm of PVC sheets ( the large area for easier bending to form over tube later)

d)place the PVC sheet over the dried mould and heat using heat gun.

d)when PVC is soft enough, use another chop stick to mould the bumps by pressing hard in between the gaps mentioned earlier and allow to cool.

e) once basic shape is formed, use heatergun slightly away and once the PVC is slightly soft, curled it over the pipe and cool.

f) cut the cooled plate to fit. 

Presto!! 

Optional; 

You can build another set of the mould to compress against each other for easier forming. But I’m  just doing for me and a few pals  so I didn’t go into that.

x7rcUSn.jpg

9HUdh9t.jpg

HCtl02Y.jpg

cLjqSQF.jpg

43bGLoz.png

YmBNiZf.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Top Left Button Box.

1(top left button box)

Required:14x10x4.5cm

Found: 14x8.5x4cm

Note: The dimensions are different from the guides as the box sizes are slightly different.

Simply, I cut a 3.5 x 11 cm PVC sheet, divided the length of the PVC sheet by half and then work from there to get what I want for the dimensions.

onEZ2ZQ.jpg

1q91J2Q.jpg

8F6RR07.jpg

Initially I use any flat door cushion stopper for the buttons - however, I found it looks better with these.

TSoGaV1.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Middle Tube.

#2 Middle Tube - Clorox Disinfectant wipes. (258gms)

Besides following the working guides mentioned earlier, I cut the strip 14 x 5 cm from PVC sheet, used heatgun and  bend the sheet to the shape of the tube. After which I used small bolts and nuts to secure it to the bottle. I didn't just wanted to use paint for that area as I thought having something protrude out from the surface of the bottle looks better. The position where to place the strip is just estimation.

T2cai8Y.png

YQbXomc.jpg

7xltPQp.jpg

Ti28pvF.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Top Right Vent Box.

3(top right vent box)

Required:18x11x6cm

Found:15.8x9x6cm

Note again: The dimensions are different from the guides as the box sizes are slightly different.

For this, I merely cut a 15.8 x 9 cm plate to fit the top of the box and work from there.

ieueFsg.png

6QaAqf2.jpg

I cut thin strips and attached to the vents edges to make it looks like elevated

eMxO5h4.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Bottom Right Box.

5(bottom right)

Required:20x13.5x6cm

Found: 20x12x7.6cm

By estimation, I cut 17 x 10cm PVC sheet ( not 20 x 12 cm) and divide it equally to obtain the layout as per below. The cut sheet does not cover the whole box and leaves the screw holes visible - as per guide.

xVgxOSx.jpg

After putting them together, it looks like the way below and it gave me more motivation to carry on.

Antenna Tube.

7( Antenna Tube)

Required:Dia6.5x60cm

Found:Dia6x80cm

For the Right Antenna Tube,  I simply cut off 2 x end rings,  (2.5cm) from the 80cm tube ( what I need is only 60 cm -length). There is a gap while sliding the end rings onto the 60cm tube at each end, which I cut another 2.5cm ring, and fill the gaps. To use some filler putty to fill the gaps and paint.

ZaRqc3n.jpg

XxRsJNB.jpg

KibIYg0.jpg

r62LlXD.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Drop Siphon Funnel.

Had a random bottle cap from a milk carton, bolt and nut to secure with the Dia 9 cm disc.

8W35NFP.jpg

zNYMvWl.jpg

jlX2zHH.jpg

I have managed to find the right size bottle in the supermarket for the skirting. This is the replacement solution as before this I use the flexible cutting board but it cracked after a few days (maybe under tension) - my first error.  

LHxOnUa.jpg

LkGv62O.jpg

That is the maximum I can push the skirting up the cup and luckily, it is just enough.

AfZ4eWf.jpg

the distance from the skirting to the lip of the cup is about 4.5cm around. the whole skirting is about 16cm long.  Seems it fits the requirement by looks, I didn't go any further on this.

ldLNQ8o.jpg

6mSvcog.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Bottom Left Radio Box.

4(bottom left radio box)

Required:29x19x6cm

Found:28.9x21x7.8cm

Managed to find bottle covers from milk cartons which meets the 4 cm requirements. All is needed is to sand down the brand and attach to the  box. The "brackets" is 1.5cm in width and the lengths are just estimations.

UVnZe4B.png

fIoY46h.jpg

AeZl5DC.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

Preparation of the drip pan for installation of the boxes and accessories.

this is where it gets interesting. Instead of just attaching nylon straps, which I consider maybe a problem with comfort and as well as unnecessary strain on the TK back armor plate, Not to mention also possible scratches, I use the back of a motorcycle helmet backpack as a backing/padding.

2nd consideration is to make it easy to replace if broken, I intended to secure the boxes, tube and cup by using bolts and nuts only. So to access the bolts and nut, I have to cut open the drip pan for access.

WI8EDf1.jpg

bPJJVZO.jpg

Motorcycle Backpack Configuration.

**I do not have a sewing machine, hence everything is done by hand**

I cut the backing off the backpack, leaving enough cloth material to use to strengthen the edges. I flip the edges into half and sew the whole length around the edges. After which i use the cabinet metal plates (flat plate with 4 holes) x 3, 2 in inner of the  drip pan and one at the outer, to secure the top part of the pack to the pan. (using bolt and nuts again).  I have also modify the straps to have quick release for easy mounting during trooping.

To attach the rest of the pack to the pan, I use heavy duty snaps X 6, drill and rivet. so that I can easily remove the pack to gain access to the nuts securing the boxes. It also allows me some storage space in which can either put a Bluetooth speaker in there if needed or merchs to exchange, or even valuables during troop.

onaaod2.jpg

Q4Gp1Pz.jpg

cUNqcq3.jpg

WHuNtDN.jpg

JzMUsVP.jpg

h5Det0J.jpg

msmujml.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER

The selection of the motorcycle backpack took some considerations.

1)Whether there is enough material to cut, roll and sew and to cover the drip pan.

2)does it have enough quick release to use, for strap modding purposes?

3)Does it have enough cushion effect, to prevent scratches and bring comfort?

4)Are the straps curved inwards, otherwise affecting the wearing of the backpack?, to prevent visibility of straps being seen.

5)Does it has a single quick release to hold the 2 straps in place? - for quick removal of the backpack from user.

yBuFd2m.jpg

After spray painting the snaps and bolts to matt black.

zrPU1v1.jpg

Pardon my shoulder ammo pack strap slipping down my shoulder. But this is how it looks like with the backpack on. (with antenna)

Please be nice on commenting as I only go for basic approval. :P

Post completed.:smiley-sw013:

wU2aHfw.jpg

IH0QsUB.jpg

SvJzMx9.jpg

elR1sRa.jpg

oEJkD4m.jpg

Edited by SGTKTROOPER
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...