selcooper

Greetings From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Greetings from sunny Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I am Scott Cooper, my wife and I have been interested in doing this for a long time, and we have been putting it off.  But there comes a time when you just have to start taking the plunge and start the research and then the build. My wife and I have various other hobbies and like everything it takes time.  Why is time so precious.... simply because it is limited. 

Any how I have decided that I will start working towards the creation of a ANH "stunt" stormtrooper.  This will be the first project if this is successful and depending on how long it takes, I will then attempt a snowtrooper from ESB.

A little about myself, I am 42 and stand about 6ft 2" and weight in at about 280lbs. Therefore I will need some large armour. I believe this will put me at looking at RT and AM (if this is wrong or if someone is of the same stature as I please let me know what you have done..)  

As for previous experience in this, I have very little with ABS or HIPS, so I will definitely need some advice about playing with it.  My experience with cloth and leather is quite substantial wrt the construction of other items,   I believe that I can  do this project but it will take dedication, something that I believe most of you have!

Anyhow I look forward to any helpful hints and tips and definitely suggestions 

bellow are two of my previous build neither have been registered.   the first is my daughter as a jawa and the second is my wife (jedi) and daughter (rey)

Cheers   Scott Cooper 

jawa.jpg

jeidandrey.jpg

Welcome aboard, you have come to the right place. I will tell you, you are spot on with the armor choice. AM armor is amazing, and built with the larger trooper in mind. They do amazing work and have a following to show for it. cant really go wrong there. I love that your family is involved, it will make the process easier. Hello from Texas BTW. Good luck with your build, do a ton of research, and when you buy your armor, do a ton more research. Everything you need to know is on this page. just check around, ask questions, and most of all, have fun!

Hi there fellow Canadian! I hope you'll enjoy your time here and building your armor! You might want to check out AP, which add extra ABS to the parts so that the armors can fit heavier/bigger troopers. However, I don't know if it's as much as the RT and AM ones you mentioned. Plus, AP is from Canada, so it might be less expensive shipping-wise.

Anyways, lots of info around here (and I see you have already looked up some stuff too), so welcome to the FISD! :)

Scott, great to see you posting up here. Was great meeting you and your wife at our armour party on the weekend. AP armour will definitely be too small for you, in my opinion. Take a look at this thread that I mentioned:

You will absolutely get there! Research is a big part of the build, but we have a great gallery here at the FISD with lots of references photos and a great team of attaches from other garrisons who will assist you along the way. Once you've decided on a vendor, start a build thread over here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

In the meantime, if you have other questions, feel free to post them here and/or you can give me a shout via a PM here or on the CCG forums.

Welcome Scott!

here are video tutorials.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeDunMes3e0wQn8_ns-ma4g

Once you get it built, we can review your armor prior to a GML evaluation if you’d like.  Also consider EIB and Centurion levels.  There are some terrific photos of finished product you may use as reference.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

have fun in your build!

Edited by Thumpy~

Welcome aboard. I speak from experience AM will work well for you. I did mine at 5’10” 260 pounds and had extra room. You’ll be fine with it and we’ll help along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lucnak said:

AP armour will definitely be too small for you, in my opinion.

Thanks, I knew that AP left some extra ABS on his armor pieces for larger trooper, but I wasn't sure as I did not know how much was needed... Sorry, just focus on those other armors then! 8-) :smiley-sw013:

4 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Thanks, I knew that AP left some extra ABS on his armor pieces for larger trooper, but I wasn't sure as I did not know how much was needed... Sorry, just focus on those other armors then! 8-) :smiley-sw013:

No need to apologize! I have just seen AP on people around 6'2" and personally feel that the bigger armour options are a better fit. Less worry about the top of the ab showing, gaps in the back, etc. The extra left on AP will accomodate for a larger waist size, but this height is certainly pushing it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Scott!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Welcome fellow Canadian! Great to have you on board and even more looking forward to seeing in the ranks of the 501st!

Thanks all I will start looking into AM and a couple of the others.   If I need too I will head hunt pieces from different vendors. 

Cheers all 

And Thanks 

• Like 1

Thanks all I will start looking into AM and a couple of the others.   If I need too I will head hunt pieces from different vendors. 

Cheers all 

And Thanks 

Might not want to go with different vendors. Vendors make their kits differently which means different shades of white and thickness of plastic. In my opinion I’d stick with 1 maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Scott and welcome aboard future Trooper! 

Have a read in the “Getting Started-Read this First” section, as there is some really good info in there for new members.

Then, have a read in “Costuming and Builds” section to discover other troopers who are building (or have built) the same armor as you! Really good tips, examples, pictures, previously answered questions, and successes here.

In addition to looking at all the various build threads, I highly recommend checking out the “Advanced Tactics” section where you can see examples of those who have taken their armor to the next levels of screen accuracy (EIB and Centurion).  I’d recommend that you aim to build to one of the certification levels, as TK’s look their best at these levels. It's really not hard to acquire EIB or Centurion, and it’s best to do during your build rather that after.

If, and when, you’re looking for other bits –and-pieces, accessories, boots, blasters, electronics, etc., be sure to check out the “Imperial Commissary/PX” section for items for sale, project runs, and for other stuff that most of the troopers use.

Also, make contact with your local Garrison. They’ll help guide you through the process of becoming a member of the 501st, and may have local Armor Parties in the works where you can get hands-on build advice and guidance, not to mention meet members of your future Garrison.

So, start a build thread here on FISD; post lots of pictures and questions. We are all here to help you out and to make sure you look your best, and represent the 501st as best as possible.

All the best on your TK journey! :dancing-trooper:

Welcome Scott. Great to have you here. Lots of fun in building armor. You have experience making other things as you mentioned so that is all you need to get started. Enthusiasm goes a long way. Ask around as much as needed and have fun in the process. 

Looks like you got plenty of resources! Welcome to the FISD! Remember ask any and all questions! Best of Luck!

Hi Scott! It was good to meet you and your wife at the armour party! Best of luck sourcing all your parts and you have some amazing local resources in Luc and Andy. I look forward to following your build. 

Welcome to the FISD Scott!!! we are very happy to have you here and really look foward to seeing you join our ranks. Like Brad already pointed out, contact your local garrrison for on-site help and we will be happy to help you here through build threads and PMS. Good Luck future Trooper

Welcome to the FISD, Scott!  Looks like you have got a bunch of great links and info already.  From what I hear, AM amour is probably the way to go.   And a snowy to follow it up sounds like an awesome idea!  And on a totally different topic, are you in the SCA or similar? 

On 7/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, wook1138 said:

Welcome to the FISD, Scott!  Looks like you have got a bunch of great links and info already.  From what I hear, AM amour is probably the way to go.   And a snowy to follow it up sounds like an awesome idea!  And on a totally different topic, are you in the SCA or similar? 

Yes my wife and I are in the SCA, I am leaving the end of this week to head down to PA for 3 weeks of fun. 

24 minutes ago, selcooper said:

Yes my wife and I are in the SCA, I am leaving the end of this week to head down to PA for 3 weeks of fun. 

I never did make it to Pennsic.  I haven't been involved with the SCA for a few years now - but I did enjoy it (especially the fighting ;) ).  Have fun! 

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

I never did make it to Pennsic.  I haven't been involved with the SCA for a few years now - but I did enjoy it (especially the fighting ;) ).  Have fun! 

I intend to, the first week is to try and help do some setup work... Volunteer.  Hmm I think that is a word..  

Yes there is always the balance between the desire, the time and the money.  

• Like 1