First Build: ANOVOS ANH TK Build Thread

Erice3339

Unlike many here, my first post is not of a big brown box unfortunately. While I got my kit for a decent price (I think), I have been tolerating a 18+ month wait time; however, despite my use of the word "tolerating", I have taken that time to research and prepare. In a way, I am grateful for the wait and don't mind it so much. I actually feel somewhat confident, but I am sure that will dissipate as soon as the box arrives. 

In the meantime, I started this thread early because I got a headstart on the strapping system I intend to use in my armor as publicized by justjoseph (shout-out to him; great asset on FISD and that's a gross understatement). Even so, I am now waiting on more snaps from Tandy which has caused my wallet to suffer (along with many... many other purchases). Without further adieu, here's what I have so far: 

mGktMA6.jpg

RUNGxRZ.jpg

XTuevnO.jpg

xsnoXOp.jpg

6jD3wZQ.jpg

0VjiAZU.jpg

Edited by Erice3339
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, Eric!  You are definitely doing the right thing by getting ahead of the game, brother, especially in the research area.  Most folks (myself included) ripped into our first BBB like a kid at Christmas then realized "Oh crap... I have to put this thing together", lol.

As you have probably heard here before, take your time....  it's a marathon, not a sprint.  And always feel free to ask questions.

I see you are using imgur, and what I would suggest is posting the photos directly onto your thread as opposed to adding a link.  To do this, go to your images page and click on the image you want to add.

You will see a menu on the right with 6 options,  Click the blue "COPY" tap next to the DIRECT LINK (second from the top), and then you can paste it on your thread.  BUT, if you alter or delete the photo from your image library it will disappear from your thread.

Best of luck on your white armor journey, and again, If I can be of any help just PM me.

I hear you, the wait for Anovos kits can be really long sometimes. However, it's great to see that you are using that time to get as much prepared as possible. So you'll see, when you'll get you kit, you'll be ready to go and knowing what you have to do! :duim:

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

You will see a menu on the right with 6 options,  Click the blue "COPY" tap next to the DIRECT LINK (second from the top)

Thank you for the advice. Is there a way to insert an album with a single link or are we only able to add direct links one-by-one for each individual photo? 

Edit: For now, I just added each picture individually. Let me know if I am missing an easier/quicker way to do it. 

Edited by Erice3339

2 hours ago, hollowbodies said:

So you'll see, when you'll get you kit, you'll be ready to go and knowing what you have to do! 

That’s the idea! Even then, I have to say, some days of browsing FISD had me thinking, “18 months isn’t enough to absorb this information. Anovos has got to give me more time before BBB day.” 

Like Joseph said here, I do want to treat it like a marathon instead of a race, but I will admit I’m eager to get started. 

• Like 1

Does the base of your snap setting tool have a reverse side?  (See the piece marked B in the first pic)  It looks as if you have used the concave side to set the female part that attaches to the armor.  Not sure if it the convex shape (pic 3) will cause any issues with adhesion, but if you do have that side I would recommend using it to keep the bottom of the snap flat. (Pic 2)

zQNGcJp.jpg?2       HL0L9jW.png      VjuxkVb.jpg

10 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Does the base of your snap setting tool have a reverse side?

It has a concave side which I used for all the males and was sure to flip it over to use the reverse side for all the females. 

The reverse side of the anvil is flat. I purchased it, along with the setting tool and snaps, from Tandy Leather. It does look a bit different than yours. Here is a link to the anvil page: here. In the description, it’s said to be compatible with the Line 24 snaps I got.

What, if anything, do you think I should do about the female snaps? Unfortunately, I have already set thirty. Since I do not have my armor yet, I cannot do a precise test, but I did try pressing one of the straps against an ABS yard sale I have.

The fabric seemed to make contact with the surface of the sign (i.e. if I were to apply glue, I think it would fasten) and it seemed, for the most part, flat. There was a slight dip in the fabric between the snaps where the nylon made contact with the plastic surface. Let me know what you recommend. Thank you. 

Can you post up a photo (or 2) of the issue for us, Eric?  It would make it easier to give you the correct advice.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Can you post up a photo (or 2) of the issue for us, Eric?  It would make it easier to give you the correct advice.  Thanks!

NCPheXO.jpg

I used this flat side of the anvil for the female snaps that were said, by Tandy, to be compatible with this tool. 

O9lDMe3.jpg

xCBcsGF.jpg

v1HCsPK.jpg

Ds1DQGY.jpg

When clamped down, except for the corners, the area between and around the female bases appear to make contact with the plastic piece pictured.

I’m not sure how else to illustrate the issue— if there is one— without the armor aside from taking the pictures displayed thus far. 

Edited by Erice3339

• 1 month later...

slY0nbN.jpg

After 473 days, 23 hours, and 3 minutes, the BBB has arrived. Somehow, with all the time I’ve had to research, collect what I need, and even go to an armor party, I am not as nervous about starting as I thought I’d be (still have shaky hands though). 

Thanks to Joseph and Tony for advice and his build thread, respectively! And, of course, all the other numerous Legion and FISD members who have tolerated my many questions and offered great insight!

Edited by Erice3339

g5d538W.jpg

8F3hilO.jpg

uOnvwPQ.jpg

Repainted the frown; the recent update to the ANOVOS kit left the teeth unpainted to avoid overspray and allow builders to paint themselves.

Therefore, I painted in and over the teeth with Humbrol #5 and added the frown extensions on either side as seen in Uswrath’s build thread (helmet mods). 

I am unsure about the spaces in between the teeth. Tony’s (Uswrath) helmet does not seem to have any plastic in between the teeth (that I can see). Nonetheless, I painted these plastic “arches” with the same color. **If incorrect, please advise.** I could repaint with white gloss once this coat dries. 

Edited by Erice3339

Congratulations for your BBB!

Your patience will be very helpful for the building process. :D

I would refine the cutouts of the teeth a little bit. The ones Anovos made have very rounded  corners. I guess that are the „arches“ you mentioned. 

SJTPZqt.jpg

I would make them more angular:

dCGG2Cp.jpg

You can do that with key-files or a modeling scalpel. But be careful with the knife! The ABS is VERY thin there. 

Cheers

Christian

Edited by Novak Dimon
Pictures

1 hour ago, Novak Dimon said:

The ones Anovos made have very rounded corners. 

I would make them more angular. 

Precisely what I was concerned with, although perhaps better articulated. Is it a disqualifier for Centurion? 

Congratulations on BBB Day!

Love your countdown time from order to arrival.:laugh1:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the rounded corners of teeth will need to be corrected for Advancement to higher levels.

Good Luck with your build! We're all here to help you along the way.

2 hours ago, magni said:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the rounded corners of teeth will need to be corrected for Advancement to higher levels.

7 hours ago, Novak Dimon said:

You can do that with key-files or a modeling scalpel. But be careful with the knife! The ABS is VERY thin there. 

Thinking about using one of these precision files to angle the corners between the teeth. If you would, what do you two think? 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Steel-Precision-File-Set-6-Piece-707476H/100572556?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100188490-_-100572556-_-N

2 minutes ago, magni said:

Same one I own and used

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Sweet, thank you for the input! Funny how that was the first file set I looked at. 

Sweet, thank you for the input! Funny how that was the first file set I looked at. 
Me too! When I was in the store I looked up and there it was!

23 hours ago, Erice3339 said:

Precisely what I was concerned with, although perhaps better articulated. Is it a disqualifier for Centurion? 

I don’t think it is a disqualifier for Centurion. The CRL don’t mention it. 

But the original helmets had mostly angular holes:

d2xQoXp.jpg

2 hours ago, Novak Dimon said:

I don’t think it is a disqualifier for Centurion. The CRL don’t mention it. 

But the original helmets had mostly angular holes:

d2xQoXp.jpg

I’ve been doing my best throughout the past day to file the curved edges down. It’s slow but steady progress. Still a relief to hear it might not be a disqualifer after all, though. 

3 minutes ago, Erice3339 said:

I’ve been doing my best throughout the past day to file the curved edges down. It’s slow but steady progress. Still a relief to hear it might not be a disqualifer after all, though. 

Actually i believe it is. The teeth need to be cut as shown, and the gray paint cant go to the top, it should never leave the teeth. I have seen several told to fix this during their EIB approval. BUT, the great thing is that you will be notified during your EIB submission of anything needing fixed for Centurion, so you wont be caught off guard about it

I'm not saying Tony or Joseph would disqualify you for it. I'm sure they would recommend it since you're going the whole accurate route. A little clean up doesn't hurt the look and Anovos is known to need it.

Keep up the good work! You'll be covering a shift for me before you know it!

33 minutes ago, magni said:

I'm not saying Tony or Joseph would disqualify you for it. I'm sure they would recommend it since you're going the whole accurate route. A little clean up doesn't hurt the look and Anovos is known to need it.

Copy that. :duim: