Ensi's ANH Stunt Build [ATA] With Centurion in mind!

Ensi

Hey all, some of you might know me from the TFA section where i've primarily hung out and posted.

Well.. to make a long story short I went to a con with my big armor case and came back poorer with an ATA kit.  I want to post this build thread now in order to get help from all of you before I make any mistakes/order the wrong stuff and so on. I am 177cm tall and weigh about 79kg (5'10", 175lbs).

My plan is to build this to centurion from the start. My first kit was my TFA TK, which was very intricate so i'm happy to start a more straightforward build :) 

Here are some pictures from the sea of plastic. Note some of the parts have already been trimmed/worked on. Please comment if you see anything worrying :D 

eLI4ib5.jpg

SfCX3Sj.jpg

CUWEDYp.jpg

xcQSgGe.jpg

NNXVzuC.jpg

fzZPdju.jpg

One "concern" I have (not knowing a lot about the ANH TK) is the buttplate which seems to be rather rounded off in the corners, where most of the ANH's i've seen have it very sharp.

1rPBB9K.jpg

This is what I think/know I need to acquire (with my suggestion of vendor in parentheses):

• Boots (Imperial Boots)
  • Gloves (chemical gloves from hardware store)
  • Latex/Rubber handguards (???)
  • Undersuit (2-part compression suit will do fine?)
  • A whole lot of rivets/screws/elastic/webbing/snaps I don't yet know about (but will read up on!)
  • Canvas belt (trooperbay?)
  • Holster (trooperbay?)
  • Neckseal (my TFA seal may work but not ideal I think)
  • E-11 (Doopydoo's with an accuracy upgrade kit i've heard of, or praetorianblasters)
  • TD tube + metal clips (???)
  • Humbrol Paints (hobby store)
  • Teeth mesh (trooperbay?)
  • EDIT: Inner drop boxes, maybe I could make my own?

Tell me if I missed something or you have suggestions for another vendor :)

My game-plan forward will be to do intensive research on the kit, and then order the correct needed parts. In the meantime I can do some trimming!

Appreciate any and all help I can get with this :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Ensi
  • Like 1

Welcome. Your ears need some work. They are a pain. To me they seem to be rotated, the rank bars should be more horizontal. And the curve will probably need to be trimmed out quite a bit more I highly suggest looking up Panda trooper 's ATA build. It is either his or Gazmosis' build (actually both) that go into detail on shaping the ears. Personally mine took hours, but it was also the first time I built a helmet, so I went really slow to not mess up. The method of placing the ear against the side of the head and marking with a pencil where plastic needs to be delicately removed, replace, remark, remove, produces excellent results. Congratulations on your new kit, slow and steady wins the race.

If you look really close in the cube you can kind of make out the line between the ear and excess plastic, it's a good start for your trim, but it is unlikely you will match up the Faceplate and cap exactly the same way as others, which affects the shape the ears need to be to sit right (there are a lot of curves going on)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hi Daniel,

Looks like you’re on the rights tracks so far.

That’s a good shopping list. Don’t forget a voice system if you’re going that route. I’d recommend TRamp as it’s very reliable and all in one unit. 

The ears look okay so far. If in doubt, check out the FISD gallery, www.starwarshelmets.com or some of the approved build threads. 

As you’re not too far away in Norway, don’t forget some of the U.K. suppliers, too. Imperial Warfighters, RWA, RS Propmasters, Burkbench Designs, for example. They all make great props, including gloves, neck seals, boots, belts, loads of supplies. RWA makes a strapping kit including all of the fixing and strapping which is very handy. 

Keep those questions coming. :-)

Best wishes

Dan

4 minutes ago, DBGrip said:

When I click on that link it goes to an update on ROTJ CRL by Daetrin.

Odd. It's a link to a photo of a ANH Stunt helmet in the Gallery. Based on that, plus the fact that the photo posted is from pretty close, my thoughts are that Daniel's ears are good.

It's weird. Maybe it's a tapatalk issue. Will try on PC. The biggest problem I see is on the left ear where it meets the bottom of the helmet. Way too thick there, you can see into the ear from the back. My assumption was that the curve on the inside tapers to a point with the outside so the ear blends in with the shape of the underside of the tube.

Just looked on my PC, and the photos you linked were there...Weird9dc6c8774dede99401184400ab4d7ee6.jpgade0b0221cbdcce98742737a17264757.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

This may help for your needed supplies, Daniel:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Thanks all! Yes the gaps had me wondering a little, but the screen used helmets were indeed a bit gappy and wonky yeah? I could maybe try to trim some more but i'm not going to touch it yet until i'm sure. I did not assemble it, but if it's OK as is that's great :D Am I correct in that the teeth could use some more filing?

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Daniel,

Looks like you’re on the rights tracks so far.

That’s a good shopping list. Don’t forget a voice system if you’re going that route. I’d recommend TRamp as it’s very reliable and all in one unit. 

The ears look okay so far. If in doubt, check out the FISD gallery, www.starwarshelmets.com or some of the approved build threads. 

As you’re not too far away in Norway, don’t forget some of the U.K. suppliers, too. Imperial Warfighters, RWA, RS Propmasters, Burkbench Designs, for example. They all make great props, including gloves, neck seals, boots, belts, loads of supplies. RWA makes a strapping kit including all of the fixing and strapping which is very handy. 

Keep those questions coming. :-)

Best wishes

Dan

Awesome :) I already have a TRamp from my TFA TK and I absolutely love it!! Thanks for naming those suppliers, i'll check them out, would indeed save some on shipping and wait time.

50 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

This may help for your needed supplies, Daniel:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Thanks for this! Funny thing is I read ukswrath's Anovos guide and ordered all the elastic/webbing/magnets from eBay, 2 minutes later I see your post :D 75mm black, 50mm white+black, 25mm black, and 20mm white.

I started out removing the wrist-end forearm return edges. First cut was hard for the soul but i've already gotten kinda comfortable with it B) I've learned that if you trim by blade you do it real slow and real careful, almost put a nice deep cut into the armor. Lexan scissors and cleanup with sandpaper was the way to go for me, score/snap for bigger pieces.

XWWrNxa.jpg

Also started making some of the coverstrips. I went straight for 15mm and it fits me pretty well (using my TFA undersuit), although i'll probably have to trim a bit off the return edges at the back, was a bit tight.

Any thoughts on the buttplate?

• Like 2

So my build hasn't progressed as fast as i'd want to, but i've been taking my time getting to know ABS and how it behaves.

Continued trimming, quickly realized even though score and snap is scarier, it is way faster and requires less cleanup.

hD18w2s.jpg

iIxp9OI.jpg

WyrrLk1.jpg

Left ATA bicep all wonky as heck. After completely removing the lower return edge and some more at the top it fit nicely. Still going to give this one a hot water bath to make it fit even better. Right now it is very tight, if I flex it moves/shifts, hope it'll be better after the bath.

OAeBMIi.jpg

Y5K9sUa.jpg

Right side did fit well without  such "drastic" measures.

lRlVRn0.jpg

One thing that I figured out is that i'm not really 79kg/175lbs, i'm 83kg/183lbs :laugh1: So the ab/kidney didn't fit as well as I had hoped. 

O2ETl2E.jpg

This pic was with me pushing my stomach all the way out. If I really really sucked it in they'd touch eachother but that's not doable so i'm gonna have to shim this.

Arms are trimmed and fitted. Shins are trimmed but not fitted yet. This pile took a long time but it makes me happy nonetheless :) 

g30HV2q.jpg

Also ordered rivets, screws, and handguards from Joseph. Big thanks for that man :peace:

Edited by Ensi
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, 68Brick said:

Great progress Daniel!

Thanks mate, it doesn't really feel like it as I keep running into problems to solve. But hey, what would a build be without?? :D

So I was initially going to go for canon measurements on the coverstrips, but apparently I have somewhat big shins. 

So what i'm thinking now is:

15mm arms

25mm shins and thighs front + thighs back

30mm shins back

Don't know if the 15mm arms will look disproportionate to the increased legs, though.

Here's a fitment with 25mm front and 30mm back measurements. It's really tight but with the excess "coverstrip platform" removed and maybe some more heatshaping I think it'll be doable. About that, what is the best way to heatshape these huge pieces? I have a semi-large pot but could only get 1/3 of it in there. Maybe just pour it over the piece slowly?

mXUTvjf.jpg

jEPYvrT.jpg

5gooLbl.jpg

As for the measurement specs, we don't normally recommend more than an additional 3mm over canon however, uniformity is more important. If they fit I recommend leaving the arms canon sized and scale up just the legs, if you absolutely have to. 

7 hours ago, ukswrath said:

As for the measurement specs, we don't normally recommend more than an additional 3mm over canon however, uniformity is more important. If they fit I recommend leaving the arms canon sized and scale up just the legs, if you absolutely have to. 

I've found out it is only the left shin that is a problem, right one has plenty of space. Without the extra material overlap from dry-fitting, another hot water bath, and classic TK boots (they seem narrower than FOTK ones) I think canon measurements will work fine. So i'm gonna go for that and hopefully it works out :) 

Trimming/fitting continues while I at the same time try to figure out where to source different stuff. Right now scratching my head a bit trying to find some pipe for my TD, in the right size and color :huh:

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, StrmTRPR85 said:

any electrical conduit should be the right gray color, if i recall diameter is 2 in and 7 1/2 inches long

Been searching for it for the past 2 days. Nothing locally. Only one that I found only sold to registered businesses :glare: Oh well!

Most of my free time this week has gone to more research and trimming/fitting. I have come to the (sad :() realization that I won't be able to do canon measurements for strips on legs. I seem to have larger limbs than I originally thought :laugh1: Here is the thigh taped up at 25mm in front and 30mm in back.

LD5l3MY.jpg

Txn4WKC.jpg

It's a tight fit but I think it can work, there's barely any return edge left here but I may remove it all for an even better fit. I plan to have the same config on the shins to make it uniform.

Also what I found strange was that this area chafes a bit for some reason, only at certain angles tho. (Most of the return edge is trimmed)

9rb0fom.jpg

In other news I put up a big order from Burkbench Designs over in the UK:

• Cloth belt
  • Hovi Mic Tips
  • E-11 Holster
  • Some more rivets
  • TD Tube
  • TD Clips+Screws
  • Neckseal
  • And I also got him to pull me some inner drop boxes :D

Planning on jumping on Imperial Boots next wave to get my classic TK boots. Also put up an order from a local hobby store for the Humbrol paints. Only missing chemical gloves from the hardware store and a blaster then I should be all set :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by Ensi

On 7/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, ukswrath said:

Looking good Daniel, don't fret over the fitment. 

Thanks Tony, I just wish certain carbonated beverages weren't so good :laugh1:

So I got some paint:

3NOzHl6.jpg

Finished cutting all of my strips. I'll start assembling my parts when my magnets arrive.

JDOSvKj.jpg

Went to town on the sniper knee, and did a dry fit with clamps. Looks ok? :) 

CybUASM.jpg

aLSvRxl.jpg

vrXsAX8.jpg

t64zjvS.jpg

Did some more hot water bathing on the shin.

Before:

ghuE2Hl.jpg

After (much better!)

QdARW5i.jpg

Since I also have to shim my kidneyplate, I did a testfit and they flare out way too much. In with the hot water!

Before:

klPlyuw.jpg

2IqlUcx.jpg

After:

04qH4k3.jpg

I'll clean up/line up the edges, and what little "flare" is left I think the webbing is going to take care of :) 

a6KcAhk.jpg

Also ordered more supplies, 100pcs refill of Prym 15mm Sport & Camping snaps, more elastic, and E6000. I went on eBay and picked one from a US seller, should be the real deal :duim:

• Like 2

I realize that you have already glued your sniper knee plate on, Daniel, but it could use a little Dremel tool love.

pwR8mXQ.jpg?1        yAuZTbU.jpg?1

Also, since you are headed for Centurion, :jc_doublethumbup:, I would suggest trimming the edge of the ab plate down to where it is in better alignment with the shim** before adding the rivets.  This will save you some heartache later.  You are well on your way, brother, so keep up the GREAT work!!

Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor.

kii2Eab.jpg?1

** For an awesome tutorial on using ABS paste (to cover the shim seam) here is a link that will help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

I realize that you have already glued your sniper knee plate on, Daniel, but it could use a little Dremel tool love.

Thanks for the input and reference pic, Joseph! I was wondering a bit about trimming more on the knee plate and now I will, luckily I only clamped them down for the pic and haven't glued yet :D 

For the shim, after trimming the ab plate and having the webbing in place I think it will close up perfectly! And i'll be sure to follow that guide. ABS paste is a whole new beast to me :icon_eek:

Edited by Ensi

After thinking, hmmm, the belt might have something to do with fitment of the ab/kidney I tried with a belt and yup!! I cut my shims to half the size and I think it is pretty spot on :D 

lihdNdh.jpg

bNpljIH.jpg

I also went to a makerspace in Oslo today along with some other people also building TK's. I prefer working at home on stuff but this was a good opportunity to do a test-fit and also have some fresh eyes. To me it looks like this suit will fit me pretty well right out of the box :peace:

DWI0FSP.jpg

4dOVqZt.jpg

Will have to do some tapering on the shim here

SiymDlP.jpg

x8DGrVR.jpg

Got some stuff from Mr. Pedigo + some elastic from a UK eBay seller

Q9YUeuE.jpg

Fixed my sniper knee which needed some trimming :)

6sjBcg1.jpg

f12Eya5.jpg

Started assembling arms as I was able to borrow some heavy duty magnets from someone at the makerspace

UH0eNYB.jpg

• Like 1

Assembled some more limbs! I am starting to see a hint of a stormtrooper..

vhE7Dev.jpg

20CQaoN.jpg

H9N9c2M.jpg

cAiRhHY.jpg

Also made the elastic shin-closure hook thingymajigs:

DOhm2Wi.jpg

RAbwrUo.jpg

Hit the hooks with some white spraypaint

PsYRdBT.jpg

Also went out and got the last part that I need, gloves! Would the knurling on the topside (on fingers) of the gloves be a problem?

kWXYuKY.jpg

• Like 3