Seam on the side a problem?

c90877fa1f0b2194fa8d66144c7e18e0.png

So I found a pair of pretty cheap Chelsea boots. I was just going to dye them white like originally done.

The only thing I wanted to check was that the seam on the side wouldn’t be a problem for EIB or Centurion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, this is a good one. CRL only says no seams on the front, but nothing about the location of the seams on the side. I would say these should be good to go for L2, L3. But im new so don't go off just my opinion

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

I would be more worried about the height at the ankle.  These look pretty low.

This is what bothers me about the CRL. I believe most stuff is subjective. As with other costumes I have looked into, I have seen stuff rejected due to the measurement of something, be it the height of the boot, or something like that, but the CRL doesn't specifically state what it must be. Honestly the best thing for you to do @REAPERofDAISYS is to get into contact with a GML and ask them, as they are the ones that will have final say.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

This is what bothers me about the CRL. I believe most stuff is subjective. As with other costumes I have looked into, I have seen stuff rejected due to the measurement of something, be it the height of the boot, or something like that, but the CRL doesn't specifically state what it must be. Honestly the best thing for you to do @REAPERofDAISYS is to get into contact with a GML and ask them, as they are the ones that will have final say.

I just meant it would depend how it fits the wearer.  If the person is tall, and the shins are sitting a bit higher, the top of the boot may pop out - which would be an issue.  If the person is short, and the shins are sitting low with no risk of the boot popping out, then all is good. 

But yes, I believe the CRLs are sometime purposely vague to give us that wiggle room.  However, not all GMLs see it the same. 

At the end of the day, go for as screen accurate as you can.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 4:58 AM, REAPERofDAISYS said:

The only thing I wanted to check was that the seam on the side wouldn’t be a problem for EIB or Centurion?

If it were me I wouldn`t by them:

#1 they might be passed by a GML BUT they dont look good with that seam and as Greg mentioned, they are fairly short.

#2 I cant see how they can pass L2/L2 with that seam as those levels are meant for higher accuracy, a GML has no say about that as they are FISD specific but we can ask Tony @ukswrath to hear whats what:salute:

If you like the shorter version and want to dye them like the originals, these would be a better choice:)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Some items are left at the discretion of GMLs, and one may pass something that another may not.  When in doubt about a certain item or is it is not clearly defined in the CRL I always refer to screen used images, that way there is no ambiguity as to what is correct.

Some things we do indeed give a "pass" on, like using split rivets instead of cap rivets on the thigh ammo pack, but for the most part it has to be as close to canon as possible for level 3.

Another exception is weapons.  Resin, scratch build and Hyperfirm for example are perfectly acceptable, as very few of us have access to a real Sterling.

However, when a specific item is generally available we ask that it be used.  Many Troopers have reached level 3 with fantastic looking home dyed Chelsea style boots, but they need to match the ones seen in the films as closely as possible.  Here are 2 pics of screen-used boots as a reference:  (Note where the seam is located)

AgA9WDf.jpg?1  7qZouZ7.jpg?1

As Greg mentioned, the ones in your photo look a bit short.  If you are over 5 ft 9 I would probably not recommend them at all for the reason he gave.. your calf armor would be get stuck under them constantly unless you used a Velcro or strap system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, REAPERofDAISYS said:

Thanks for the input. I’m gonna pass on these and continue looking around. Probably going to get in on the next wave of imperialboots.

what size are you looking for? have you contacted TK boots?

I’m looking for a 9.5 US.
I should just go with TKboots. Originally I was going to try to save a few dollars but it’s turning into way to much of a headache to save a couple bucks.

...you've probably already contacted them, but if you haven't, I got a pair of 7s from them about a month ago. They were their "less than perfect" ones, you have to ask about them specifically, but they're really *hardly* less than perfect and are pretty great.