Fish's ANOVOS Build Thread - Aspiring for L3

fishgoh0nk

Hi James,

Good progress. :-)

Regarding the shins, I used E-6000 for mine and they are 7 troops in using the hotdog method. It’s good to be gentle with them, of course, but e6000 is strong and flexible.

Regarding the shoulder to bicep, may I ask why you’ve opted for snaps on the inside of the arms?

Here’s a popular method, using poppers inside the bell.

94c4eae8d96067ddd91dbf0e989e58dd.png

This allows you to leave the whole arm assembled and just slide your arm into it and means no snaps in the way. The black elastic that you’ve glued to the inside of the bell then just sits over the biceps. No hooks of visible snaps required.

Hope that helps a little. :-)

5 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Regarding the shoulder to bicep, may I ask why you’ve opted for snaps on the inside of the arms?

Here’s a popular method, using poppers inside the bell.

94c4eae8d96067ddd91dbf0e989e58dd.png

This allows you to leave the whole arm assembled and just slide your arm into it and means no snaps in the way.

I guess I was not too fond of using the bicep hooks as they were too short, and I made 6 of them and finally got fed up. They weren't uniform, the bends, length and look weren't identical, which triggered my OCD, so I figured I'd just substitute for snaps and elastic, plus the black material blends in well to the underlayer.

The outside poppers you posted had crossed my mind, but I figured since I'm having some trouble reaching across my chest to snap the bells to shoulder already, snapping the bicep to Bell on the out side would be more difficult. Snapping from the inside shortens the distance my arm would have to reach. I didn't think about keeping it as one piece and wearing it like a sleeve however, that might have worked... But my arm has to take a nice 90 degree bend to even get inside the shoulder bell to avoid triggering the inner elastic, so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Hiya,

I wouldn’t worry about reaching them - just leave the whole arm as one piece. Here’s the method I follow for construction and kitting up. This saves on lots of “snapping” when kitting up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya,

I wouldn’t worry about reaching them - just leave the whole arm as one piece. Here’s the method I follow for construction and kitting up. This saves on lots of “snapping” when kitting up. emoji16.png

Super useful and informative! Thank you! Makes it look so easy... maybe I'm just being super cautious/gentle with my kit. He basically just throws it on his body! lol

Super useful and informative! Thank you! Makes it look so easy... maybe I'm just being super cautious/gentle with my kit. He basically just throws it on his body! lol

Haha. He’s my armour maker so he has lots of spares if he breaks one!! Lol

Seriously though, I really like this method. Makes it feasible to kit up with minimal assistance. :-)

8 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

You could also watch this, the man himself:duim:

Nice video as well! In the previous video, he uses white gloves as a precursor to the black, I'm guessing it provides the same purpose as the balaclava, to protect your body (absorption) as well as the suit. I better get me some of those :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Haha. Thanks buddy. emoji6.pngemoji1303.png

You look great in that armor so it deserves viewings:salute:

9 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Nice video as well! In the previous video, he uses white gloves as a precursor to the black, I'm guessing it provides the same purpose as the balaclava, to protect your body (absorption) as well as the suit. I better get me some of those :)

Yeah those are great when you wear rubber gloves, so if you plan on going all out Centurion when you troop I can`t recommend them enough:duim:

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, fishgoh0nk said:

KQS64kw.jpg

Does anyone else have thighs rubbing together when they're walking? If I close my legs together, the thighs will flip outwards at the hips.

HAHAHA!!! you have never heard of the TK waddle?!?!? yeah that's gonna happen. you just have to walk with your legs out a bit. 

Or take the return edge off and make them tighter

Edited by Commander Gree
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

HAHAHA!!! you have never heard of the TK waddle?!?!? yeah that's gonna happen. you just have to walk with your legs out a bit. 

Or take the return edge off and make them tighter

LOL!! Good to know that's normal, I was holding off adding elastic to the thighs until I got this sorted out. I don't think I can do anything as the return edges have no impact on the tightness of the thighs. Are there any consequences: (approval or behavioral) to reshaping the inside of the thighs? I might be able to flatten it out a bit so I can bring my legs closer together.

14 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

LOL!! Good to know that's normal, I was holding off adding elastic to the thighs until I got this sorted out. I don't think I can do anything as the return edges have no impact on the tightness of the thighs. Are there any consequences: (approval or behavioral) to reshaping the inside of the thighs? I might be able to flatten it out a bit so I can bring my legs closer together.

It would depend on the "reshaping" because you can change the overall look, which may not allow you to be approved. it really shouldn't be an issue unless its just bothering you that much. I wouldn't touch it, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Finally hand some time and space to use the dremel and the engraving bits... One button was extremely stubborn... i couldn't get the bit to angle enough around the outer rim and ultimately had to make some clearance... resulted in some damage. Guess i'll be ABS pasting this as well!

0NQvDqg.jpg

CLXcdgy.jpg

Question about belts. I see a lot of rivet usage - is there any reason to use a permanent method like that? I don't have a riveter yet, would snaps work to mount the ammo pack? Is there any functional/approval behind it besides for screen accuracy?

13 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Finally hand some time and space to use the dremel and the engraving bits... One button was extremely stubborn... i couldn't get the bit to angle enough around the outer rim and ultimately had to make some clearance... resulted in some damage. Guess i'll be ABS pasting this as well!

Question about belts. I see a lot of rivet usage - is there any reason to use a permanent method like that? I don't have a riveter yet, would snaps work to mount the ammo pack? Is there any functional/approval behind it besides for screen accuracy?

Snaps will work but you run the risk of the ammo belt being detached from the cloth belt by a fan during troops. Canon (screen accurate) is cap rivets. You can buy a set with the tool off Ebay for $10 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBTO-120-Set-Leather-Rivets-Single-Cap-Rivets-Tubular-Metal-Studs-with-Fixing-4/122824427896?epid=21007692321&hash=item1c98e80978%3Ag%3A0IwAAOSw9gRaFjgc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=single+cap+rivets&_from=R40&rt=nc

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Snaps will work but you run the risk of the ammo belt being detached from the cloth belt by a fan during troops. Canon (screen accurate) is cap rivets. You can buy a set with the tool off Ebay for $10 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BBTO-120-Set-Leather-Rivets-Single-Cap-Rivets-Tubular-Metal-Studs-with-Fixing-4/122824427896?epid=21007692321&hash=item1c98e80978%3Ag%3A0IwAAOSw9gRaFjgc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=single+cap+rivets&_from=R40&rt=nc

Oh! Ok, I bought some double sided rivets for the thigh ammo belt. I was actually referring to the pop rivets, also used on the belt ammo (dangling ones). Is there any benefit to using either?

IMG_7560.jpg

32 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Oh! Ok, I bought some double sided rivets for the thigh ammo belt. I was actually referring to the pop rivets, also used on the belt ammo (dangling ones). Is there any benefit to using either?

Nope, cap rivets are canon that's all. You can use either, or, or both. 

• Like 1

I used the snaps on my belt. My thought is that it will be easy to pop the belt off for repairs if needed. I have pulled on the belt quite a bit to insure it wont just pop off. but yes it is a concern and ideally a more permanent fix should be used. also, as far as the method that you do use, this is not one of those things that is checked for Centurion level, so no matter what you do, it wont effect the approval!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

I used the snaps on my belt. My thought is that it will be easy to pop the belt off for repairs if needed. I have pulled on the belt quite a bit to insure it wont just pop off. but yes it is a concern and ideally a more permanent fix should be used. also, as far as the method that you do use, this is not one of those things that is checked for Centurion level, so no matter what you do, it wont effect the approval!

Correct! How it's mounted is not an issue at the higher levels of approval, well, unless it just looks like garbage then we might say something lol

• Like 2