Rogue One TK Builds Roster

11b30b4

• 4 weeks later...

Sith Lord, they would need to comment in this thread for me to update the roster. The sandtrooper would not be FISD, rather MEPD but I can add them to this roster if they post in this thread. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Thinking about go toward R1TK, if/when I convince the wife...

So Jimmiroquai and 850AW are the only options?

Pretty much, at present. Or heavily modify an ANH suit yourself and hope for basic approval. Both suits have their positives and negatives but I much prefer my Jimmi suit personally.

I just found out Jimmi is fiberglass...I don't think I'm proficient enough to modify that. I don't have any modeling or costuming experience. Do Jimmiroquai offer an ABS option?

If not, looks like 850AW is what I'll have to look at.

I'm not sure what I'll do about the helmet though. 850AW says it comes with the Black Series, but I'd have to disassemble that and make a lot of mods, right?

Does Jimmi sell a standalone R1TK helmet? Is it also FB? Does it require mods?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I commit...appreciate any help!

On 3/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, DarthBiscuit said:

I just found out Jimmi is fiberglass...I don't think I'm proficient enough to modify that. I don't have any modeling or costuming experience. Do Jimmiroquai offer an ABS option?

If not, looks like 850AW is what I'll have to look at.

I'm not sure what I'll do about the helmet though. 850AW says it comes with the Black Series, but I'd have to disassemble that and make a lot of mods, right?

Does Jimmi sell a standalone R1TK helmet? Is it also FB? Does it require mods?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I commit...appreciate any help!

Jimmi's fiberglass suit requires MUCH less modification and assembly than the 850AW suit, if you have no costuming experience. It was my first fiberglass suit too and is coming along fine. Jimmi's material is also much closer to the screen used materials - R1 suits are not made of ABS like the OT ones.

Jimmi does not offer an ABS option.

Correct - a Black Series would require modification for approval. Jimmi offers a standalone fiberglass helmet that is a very cleaned up cast of the BS from my understanding. It should not need any mods for approval. The whole kit just needs mild trimming to fit, paint, and assembly with Velcro/strapping.

Let us know if you have a more questions we can help with.

GRflEaH.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Jimmi's fiberglass suit required MUCH less modification and assembly than the 850AW suit, if you have no costuming experience. It was my first fiberglass suit to and is coming along fine. Jimmi's material is also much closer to the screen used materials - R1 suits are not made of ABS like the OT ones.

Jimmi does not offer an ABS option.

Correct - a Black Series would require modification for approval. Jimmi offers a standalone fiberglass helmet that is a very cleaned up cast of the BS from my understanding. It should not need any mods for approval. The whole kit just needs mild trimming to fit, paint, and assembly with Velcro/strapping.

Let us know if you have a more questions we can help with.

GRflEaH.jpg

Thanks for the explanation!

You've got me leaning back to Jimmi's now lol. Does trimming to fit still work out alright?

Does the whole thing need to be painted?? I figured the white finish is fine and I'd just need to paint some black/gray on the bucket.

I guess I'm still early in my research and don't have a full grasp of what's required. I'll keep going thru R1TK Jimmi builds.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:19 PM, DarthBiscuit said:

Thanks for the explanation!

You've got me leaning back to Jimmi's now lol. Does trimming to fit still work out alright?

Does the whole thing need to be painted?? I figured the white finish is fine and I'd just need to paint some black/gray on the bucket.

I guess I'm still early in my research and don't have a full grasp of what's required. I'll keep going thru R1TK Jimmi builds.

Yes trimming isn't bad at all. I just have been using a Dremel cut off wheel. I added extra resin to the inside of my suit but you don't have to.

And yes, the entire suit needs to be primed, sanded, and painted. It is more of an off-white gel coat from the mold and has plenty of surface imperfections to fix, pending how anal you are.

Yep, keep researching and asking questions man. Know what you're getting into either way.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Yes trimming isn't bad at all. I just have been using a Dremel cut off wheel. I added extra resin to the inside of my suit but you don't have to.

And yes, the entire suit needs to be primed, sanded, and painted. It is more of an off-white gel coat has plenty of surface imperfections, pending how anal you are.

Yep, keep researching and asking questions man. Know what you're getting into either way.

Justin, thanks for you input and suggestions so far! I just spent the night reading thru your R1TK build. First of all, I hope your treatments go well.

You explained pretty much everything you did, which helps me feel like I can mimic your armor prep, like what to sand with, paint/primer method, even resin reinforcement.

All of it is a bit intimidating, since I don't have any experience with this stuff. I think I was more prepared for ABS trimming, fitting, and mounting... I think I just like the R1 bucket with its cutouts instead of painted lines or decals.

Edited by DarthBiscuit

On 3/15/2020 at 6:59 AM, DarthBiscuit said:

Justin, thanks for you input and suggestions so far! I just spent the night reading thru your R1TK build. First of all, I hope your treatments go well.

You explained pretty much everything you did, which helps me feel like I can mimic your armor prep, like what to sand with, paint/primer method, even resin reinforcement.

All of it is a bit intimidating, since I don't have any experience with this stuff. I think I was more prepared for ABS trimming, fitting, and mounting... I think I just like the R1 bucket with its cutouts instead of painted lines or decals.

None of us had experience with any of this at one point! Research, trial and error, and just a gung-ho attitude goes a long way. I'm particular about my paint finish, but you could probably spend a lot less prep time and still get a decent finish (or have an auto body shop paint it, as many others have). My biggest beef with 850AW is that despite the lower price, it is less accurate to the screen used materials and since you can't pull the details needed with vacuforming, they 3D print things like the back panel O II, which you then have to color match to the ABS and paint. I haven't seen anyone get it 100% spot on, so some guys end up painting the whole suit. At that point, just get a Jimmi. Shipping is the worst thing about buying from him, but if you can find anyone else interested in a kit and split the cost, that helps. Group buys, ftw.

Hope that info helps tho, always around for questions. Do all the research and make whatever choice is best for you. And I appreciate your kind words, just resting up this weekend after my LAST chemo, so not a lot of work happening over on my thread for now.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

I have had both the Jim kit and the 850 AW kit. some of the things I have noticed between the two are: 

Jim's Kit-

Fairly accurate in size of parts and overall look. 

You will need to trim it most likely

It must be painted, so sanding and priming

The fiberglass will eventually crack at stress points. This can be fixed and a lot of the stress can be relived depending on how you assemble it.

Jims helmet is a cast of a modded BS helmet.

850 AW kit-

No helmet

Overall look is good but most parts (boxes on belt, OII on back and abdomen details are undersized. 

Most detail parts are cast and will need sanding and clean-up.

Because all the cover strips and detail parts are cast, you will need to paint whole kit

You will need to trim it most likely

There are a few helmet options:

Order one from Jim

Mod a BS (lots of work)

Order one from Headshot Props

Buy the 3D files from Nico Henderson on FB (probably the most accurate). 

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...