TK-12124 Requesting ANH Stunt Centurion Status (405)

Name: Jon Hall

TK ID: 12124

FISD Forum Name: ibskyde

Garrison: Northern Darkness Garrison

501st Profile: http://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=27882

Armor = Sadly, I purchased the kit off ebay prior to joining the forums and learning why that was bad. It's a mistake I made sure not to repeat when purchasing my shadow kit that I'm working on now (thanks ATA!), but as returns weren't accepted for this one, I went ahead and put the work into it and it was approved for 501st. If it being an ebay/recast will prevent it from attaining EIB or Centurion status, I of course understand, however I put enough work into it that I felt I owed it to myself to at least try so that I wouldn't be left wondering. In any event, thanks for the consideration!

Helmet - RS Prop master

Blaster - E-11 - 3D-printed kit from Blaster Master

A few items were identified during my EIB approval - hopefully I addressed them well enough (we'll see :) ). Thank you for the consideration!

KqUhMQa.jpg

Toyebxg.jpg

ErniuS7.jpg

fingm4b.jpg

5cTqQUj.jpg

hazig33.jpg

oRFLpCB.jpg

k7Svu42.jpg

aOEHYLu.jpg

(wife somehow always manages to take the picture right before or after I actually smile heh... I swear I'm not as irked as I appear)

In the following pictures, for the helmet, neck seal, shoulder strap elastic, forearm return edges, thigh ammo belt, gloves, boots, and hand guards, I reused the pictures from my EIB application, as no changes have been made to those pieces. If you require fresh pictures though then I'm happy to retake them.

k6JP3Tz.jpg

AAECtPE.jpg

J6ubRbm.jpg

FB5Gw9J.jpg

m2Yr8PF.jpg

EipkUIo.jpg

UYLR8QV.jpg

mj1LFHj.jpg

3Z0qWvF.jpg

pBTUTvW.jpg

gjt5yKF.jpg

kHSFulB.jpg

BkCfIcw.jpg

KslmUgp.jpg

(filled in the 2 outer holes on kidney and ab plates with epoxy, put 2 new holes and riveted with shorter straps and repainted)

rQ53YHm.jpg

(trimmed the top/bottom edges of the ABS belt, and replaced the square rivet covers)

BZfK33Y.jpg

4QDgbK8.jpg

m43Znwj.jpg

s2XGv8r.jpg

be4yVZ1.jpg

AJc8yaA.jpg

(bent the clips inward slightly at the top so that the TD panel points more upwards)

XyvJJqO.jpg

kmTIy3x.jpg

eWYfwg3.jpg

NeYNx8m.jpg

(move the hengstler counter forward a bit and re-glued)

M6CxDd6.jpg

vNWjWDj.jpg

g6aRZQI.jpg

Edited by IBSkyde
Needed additional info

Hey Jon welcome, Joseph or myself will be with your momentarily.  While you;re waiting could you please post a link to your EIB application page. 

Wow!  Gotta' give you a big THUMBS UP :duim:  for jumping on those suggestions from your EI submission, Jon!

Two quick things and we will be ready to rock and roll, brother:

1.  Please add the mandatory:

a.  Armor Maker

b.  Helmet Maker

c.  Blaster Type

2.  As you know, Centurion level is the top tier of approvals, so we ask you to go above and beyond.  I can see that you have done that, (especially with the rivets and TD plate... AWESOME job!) but I will ask for one more thing which should be fairly easy:

Please raise your ABS belt up just a bit.  We realize that in the films some of them sit a bit farther down than most, but for our purposes the top of the ABS belt should ride a bit higher on the ab as seen in the reference photo below.  Almost there, sir, and THANKS!

• The top of the ammo belt should sit at or just below the bottom of the central and vertical abdomen button panels.

VN6XLXy.jpg      n7GcYDo.jpg?1  

Reference image                                                            Reference image

TXjo4oN.jpg?1      WNqioeL.jpg?1

Thank you sir! The belt fix actually wasn't too bad... I ended up prying off the existing snaps on the canvas and added new ones just a bit lower so that the belt sits a bit higher when snapped on. Hopefully it looks a bit better now (my undersuit is in the washer after a troop earlier this evening, hence the 'casual' clothed picture :) if a new fully-costumed picture is needed, just let me know).

R3h5bJP.jpg

cue6DAC.jpg

Also updated the initial post with the requested info. Copied the armor bit from my EIB app... sorry to make you re-read the lengthy embarrassing explanation!

Thanks again!

Jon

• Like 1

Hey Jon, great looking build you have going!  Are you 100% sure it's a recast? Could try to contact the seller and ask the maker of the armor, if known.  I too made the mistake of buying my armor off eBay in a rush of excitement and eagerness to start trooping.  Luckily it was a seller who was prior 501st and was getting rid of his TK. I was able to ask who made the armor and both makers for the armor and the helmet are on the vetted list; NE and ATA. 

I'm going to let the experts suggest what you should fix, if anything, for your application. But as an observation here are a few things I noticed and offer as a suggestion.

Firstly for me the hand plates on your gloves need to be glued down better so the edges aren't pulling away.  E6000 worked great for mine.

Also, you could probably raise your thigh armor a little bit more to give yourself more clearance for the sniper knee. Nothing worse than it getting caught and being pulled off, or worse; being cracked. KqUhMQa.thumb.jpg.04f741e27143b6a94046080ed8f44c90.jpg

My only other observation is the alignment of your drop boxes to the edges of the ammo belt. While you are standing it appears that gravity pulls them away from the edges, but in your static pictures you are either holding them to the edge or pulled them to rest at the edge.  A possible solution would be to attach them to the belt using snaps rather than the looped elastic, since the rivets holding on the abs belt will prevent the loop from being able to slide as far as you may need it to go. You can see what I mean with the snaps in my Centurion application. 

k7Svu42.jpg.5538607f5fb71a084c702c13a4ddb2fb.jpgbe4yVZ1.thumb.jpg.31d62dd0249ae104b50ad53e523d2139.jpg

Lastly the only other thing I can see is that you may be asked to re-take a photo of yourself in full armor to show that the belt is resting just below the ab button plates. It's great to see you making the changes so quickly, but the reviewers may want to be sure that the belt will rest properly while in full gear. 

Again, these are just suggestions and I wish you the best of luck on your application. :duim:

Edited by SgtGarand

Thanks SgtGarand! Whether technically required for centurion or not, if those changes will improve the accuracy then I'll still get them done. The handguards are actually vecro'd on... I have a shadow stormtrooper kit as well and it was convenient to be able to interchange the white and black handguards so I didn't have to buy another pair of gloves. If the edges are sticking off too far though then I'll bite the bullet and buy another pair of gloves so I can glue the respective suit's handguards down instead.

For the thighs, I actually had them pulled up higher at first but my wife's question of "are you supposed to have that much black showing?" for the back of the knee areas prompted me to let the thighs down a bit to close that gap. If higher is better, then it's a simple belt adjustment I can make.

If connecting the drop boxes via snaps is recommended in this case then that should be an easy fix that I can likely take care of yet tonight.

I can imagine the stress of buying that eBay armour and realizing that it's not what you expected. However, fast forward a bit, and here you are on the precipice of Centurion! That's awesome!

Your'e almost there! For my drop box position, I used velcro on the back of the elastic loop to keep it where I want it (e6000'd the velcro to the elastic and to my canvas belt). For suggestions ... I also like hiking up those thighs a tad.

Great job man!

• Like 1

You have done some great work here and your commitment is admirable.  You are certainly on track.  Do your biceps feel like they fit well?  I ask because they look a little big on you.  Its not something that would visually effect your approval, but certainly would effect movement and fit.  You look great and should be proud.

• Like 1

Pulled the thighs up a wee bit last night, glued the handguards down, and took the drop boxes off the belt and reattached to straighten them up a bit (was going to snap but ended up just re-gluing instead).

v86h9vG.jpg

2eFsDpY.jpg

SJ4BcoZ.jpg

76AQdFc.jpg

My wife was kind enough to snap an updated pic for me today:

MvPvTCv.jpg

Hi Jon, welcome back and thank you for your Centurion application, so let's get you approved, shall we? 

CRL and Centurion Application Requirements:

All submission photos are present. Your armor displays all the necessary elements to qualify for Centurion, so on behalf of Tony and myself I would like to say congratulations, Trooper!       :salute:

Other-Armor Fit/Assembly:

Thank you for taking care of all the various issues, Jon.  Making all of those changes wasn't easy I'm sure, but you really took the advice to heart and did an amazing job.  Incredible work on moving those rivets and glad to see that you found replacements for the ABS belt button covers.  Hopefully you will have inspired those in the same position to follow your example of "never give up"! 

Now get out there and make your Garrison proud! 

• Like 1

• justjoseph63 changed the title to TK-12124 Requesting ANH Stunt Centurion Status (405)