Split rivets on abdomen and kidney plate mistake

Hey guys. I'm new to armour building. I'm currently building my RS prop masters kit and I've been super careful until now where I think I've made a bad mistake. I'm useless at explaining things so I'll give it my best shot... I made the holes on the Abdomen plate which I was happy with then I moved onto the kidney plate and then when I lined them up, the holes are don't match up properly. I was so careful measuring it up, I have no idea how I got it wrong :(  Can anyone tell me the 501st is okay with this as I'm looking to join, and a possible way the fix it...... other than getting a replacement haha    

wp_ss_20180619_0001.png

Remove the rivits, use an ABS piece on the inside and fill the hole with ABS paste then remount the rivits. I’m not sure if the garrison would deny you but I assume it would. What do I know, best bet is to reach out to your garrison and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Frank has said you can cover it up/patchwork and re-drill new holes.   For me I would contact RS and see the cost of a new kidney plate. Might cost a buck but you will be able to better match the holes without any repair work that may result in an undesirable outcome. I messed up my knee ammo pack and the shoulder bridges, RS sent me new ones for a decent price. I was happy to start with  new parts instead of fixing the other ones. But that is just me. 

This is not an uncommon thing to happen, Oliver.  In my opinion, you can fix this pretty easily as Frank mentioned.  Just glue some small scraps of ABS behind the holes, whip up a tiny batch of ABS paste, carefully fill them (but not too much.. just until the hole is filled) and let that dry overnight.  Then, sand down the areas until they are level, polish out the tops with a product like NOVUS, and you will be good shape to re=drill the holes in the correct place.  If done correctly, you should have zero problems reaching basic approval (or even EI and Centurion if you are hopefully aiming for those).  Here are some links that will help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit-2-oz-New-Scratch-Remover-Polish-Mate-Wipes/312016998291?hash=item48a5a98f93:g:noUAAMXQROxRFaeo:sc:USPSFirstClass!33897!US!-1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, Oliver Hughes said:

Thanks for the help and advice guys, you've restored my hope :D I'm gonna do a test of it on a spare piece of plastic and then fix my mistake and I'll probably post again showing the final results. 

Sounds good. That's what I love about trimmed parts, they will get used one way or another. Remember, measure twice, cut (drill) once. On parts that should "line up" take a pencil and draw where you plan to drill. make sure those marks line up first, then drill. Don't go based off measurements alone. your doing great, this is just a small hiccup and will actually help you down the line. never know when you will need to do so more major surgery and the experience will come in handy!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, Oliver Hughes said:

Thanks for the help and advice guys, you've restored my hope :D I'm gonna do a test of it on a spare piece of plastic and then fix my mistake and I'll probably post again showing the final results. 

Any updates on your progress, Oliver?  Some pics of the repairs would be great!

• Like 1

ABS paste is your best friend for repairs!  You need it thin enough to spread but thick enough to not just drip all over the place.  Let dry sand smooth.  For full holes like these rather than patches, putting a ABS strip to back it would likely make your life a whole lot easier.  

I'm curious to see progress pics, as well!

1 hour ago, sharkbait said:

ABS paste is your best friend for repairs!  You need it thin enough to spread but thick enough to not just drip all over the place.  Let dry sand smooth.  For full holes like these rather than patches, putting a ABS strip to back it would likely make your life a whole lot easier.  

I'm curious to see progress pics, as well!

I usually get it to the consistency of toothpaste.