Stormtrooper Commander CRL

This thread will be used for discussions regarding CRL updates for the Stomtrooper Commander.

CRL - http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_commander

High Res images - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/18019-high-resolution-stormtrooper-commander-images-32-images/

Copying from another thread. 

"If we use standard TK armor measurements as a baseline looking at the following gallery photos and I'm thinking the rivets heads would be the standard size TK rivets.

As for their locations I'm guessing the upper Ab and kidney rivets would be roughly 25mm from the top edge and 20mm from the side seam.

The lowers would be a complete guess with the waist belt obstructing the lower armor edge view. My guess the lowers are roughly 80mm below the uppers, and 20mm from the Ab and Kidney seam. like the uppers.

Only two rivets on each plate are seen so I'm assuming there wouldn't be much room for a 3rd . 

We'll also need to change the CRL regarding the 4 waist belt rivets on each side of the TD.  The CRL description is vague. 

TKC.JPG.0c20df8c64f25d0f88080c91eb20e79e.JPGTKC2.JPG.d1f3a8f0176975837050e1e5a781399d.JPG

"

• Like 1

If we use standard TK armor measurements as a baseline looking at the following gallery photos and I'm thinking the rivets heads would be the standard size TK rivets.  IMO, keeping them the same size as OT rivets would be a wise move

As for their locations I'm guessing the upper Ab and kidney rivets would be roughly 25mm from the top edge and 20mm from the side seam.  Since the TD is 70mm wide, and basing the comparison on that, I think those measurements are spot-on.

The lowers would be a complete guess with the waist belt obstructing the lower armor edge view. My guess the lowers are roughly 80mm below the uppers, and 20mm from the Ab and Kidney seam. like the uppers.  See above

Only two rivets on each plate are seen so I'm assuming there wouldn't be much room for a 3rd .  Agreed.  The belt would cover it anyway, making it a bit superfluous.

We'll also need to change the CRL regarding the 4 waist belt rivets on each side of the TD.  The CRL description is vague.   Based on the images, the outside rivets are definitely not "one inch from the ammo belt", but rather lined up with the ones on the kidney.  The inside ones line up with the outside of the center ridge of the kidney.  This may be a bit easier to follow for those aiming for L2 and 3

ioqaq0p.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

We'll also need to change the CRL regarding the 4 waist belt rivets on each side of the TD.  The CRL description is vague.   Based on the images, the outside rivets are definitely not "one inch from the ammo belt", but rather lined up with the ones on the kidney.  The inside ones line up with the outside of the center ridge of the kidney.  This may be a bit easier to follow.

Good observation

I like this. I wanted to add rivets on ab but didn't per CRL. 

As for your last recommendation I don't agree with lining up belt rivets and kidney coping picture that closely. Different thickness Troopers would have them way out of proportion. This is reminding me of troopers following that billgram to the mm for left side rivets only to find out armor is different brand and height and they placed in wrong spots. I tried to space mine by how far it looked coming off plastic belt in picture and did same distance off TD. No real measurements can be given with different size TK's.

Just my thoughts

Loving the updates to the EU!:duim:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, magni said:

As for your last recommendation I don't agree with lining up belt rivets and kidney coping picture that closely. Different thickness Troopers would have them way out of proportion. This is reminding me of troopers following that billgram to the mm for left side rivets only to find out armor is different brand and height and they placed in wrong spots. I tried to space mine by how far it looked coming off plastic belt in picture and did same distance off TD. No real measurements can be given with different size TK's.

Just my thoughts

Loving the updates to the EU!:duim:

And that's why we have this thread ;)

Sorry these are taking so long to process.  I'm working through the changes as soon as I can.  When you guys are happy with updated language, please do post to the June CRL Updates thread so I can keep it all in one place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magni said:

Just my thoughts

The belt would always be in the same position because of the snaps (or Velcro) holding it in place in the front, so unless someone loses or gains a significant amount of weight the ones in the rear would stay in the same place if they were placed in those positions to start with.

8 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Sorry these are taking so long to process.  I'm working through the changes as soon as I can.  When you guys are happy with updated language, please do post to the June CRL Updates thread so I can keep it all in one place.

No worries Paul, and shall do

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The belt would always be in the same position because of the snaps (or Velcro) holding it in place in the front, so unless someone loses or gains a significant amount of weight the ones in the rear would stay in the same place if they were placed in those positions to start with.

After considering if having to add shims the rivet placement could be a factor here however, at the time of approval the applicant would need to have all his ducks in a row., including rivet alignment.  That said, let's first establish a reason for the four rivets. Are they securing the waist belt to the kidney and possibly the posterior, are they giving the waist belt some strength, both, or are they merely cosmetic?  Since we really don't know, to simplify to situation why don't we just state "There are to be four rivets or rivet like buttons with roughly 4mm heads, painted the same color as the belt, and positioned in a rectangular pattern on each side of the Thermal Detonator."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello there, I would like to know about the change for the belt material, I mean, it was canvas when I made my commander one year ago and now it is nylon/cordura, with a visible pattern...why is that so when it comes from a videogame where the belt is just flat and from a TK regular armour? Just asking, curious guy, to know, because in spain, it's hard to find cordura o nylon fabric on white xD I have been looking for it for a while.

Friendly greetings! 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, Aizenoso said:

Hello there, I would like to know about the change for the belt material, I mean, it was canvas when I made my commander one year ago and now it is nylon/cordura, with a visible pattern...why is that so when it comes from a videogame where the belt is just flat and from a TK regular armour? Just asking, curious guy, to know, because in spain, it's hard to find cordura o nylon fabric on white xD I have been looking for it for a while.

Friendly greetings! 

I found it at Joanne's Fabric when I made mine. As for a pattern I don't see anything. It really looks like canvas with a different feel. Softer. I added a plastic strip inside to stiffen it. If the belt you have is 2 1/4"-2 1/2" wide I'm sure you're good to go. Maybe Joseph or Tony should be PM'd this question.

So you can put it to rest.

Good Luck fellow Commander!:duim:

On 7/23/2018 at 10:59 PM, magni said:

I found it at Joanne's Fabric when I made mine. As for a pattern I don't see anything. It really looks like canvas with a different feel. Softer. I added a plastic strip inside to stiffen it. If the belt you have is 2 1/4"-2 1/2" wide I'm sure you're good to go. Maybe Joseph or Tony should be PM'd this question.

So you can put it to rest.

Good Luck fellow Commander!:duim:

But...did you used canvas, nylon or cordura? I mean, I had canvas at my stormtrooper commander, but I had to sell it so, actually, I have no suit, but i'm working on it, also, i'm checking on that page and I see no cordura fabric :huh: 

Since the CRL changed, I had to remove the gray from belt boxes, also paint white the straps that goes to the belt boxes, but now we saw that the material from belt changed too, and the guy who has now my stormtrooper commander, has it with canvas... our gml says that it has to be nylon or cordura, and we are thinking about if the canvas belt would be ok for approval or nope, soon I will open a post asking opinions for the blue color of that armour, the weathering and belt material.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, sakanati said:

Hey I’m wondering if I can use my completed and approved anh stunt for the tk commander? Other than fusing the butt plate to the kidney plate is there anything else I need to change other than the painting? I know I’ll no longer be anh approved tk. 

There's a few modifications you'll need to make. Take a look at the CRL. http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_commander

The back/posterior plate fuse as you mentioned and the Ab button configuration/requirement, not to mention the "U" edge gasket.;)

Edit: Oh, and the shoulder strap assembly. 

• 2 months later...
H E L P !!!

How would anyone go about adding shims to the COMMANDER TK ???f4ec4dcc9d349c17c77ba3760f4aa142.jpg&key=6b4cc9da779dd28341ade62a48f31cfdc9f18a68c8d6544f611a117358ae7923 my friend wants to build it to level 3 standards ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does a shim in that angle work ?3c9b139c627185f0dea570a88c62b62b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you can't have that on an angle, the kidney plate and also the butt plate is sitting too high and needs to come down it shouldn't be overlapped by the backplate, this would help with the angle, but if you brought it down far enough to align with the ab section you may find you end up with a big gap between the kidney and backplate, you may have to add some shim material to the back plate to reduce this gap, but I'd try bringing it down to see exactly what gap there would be first.

Here are a few threads on adding shims to kidney/ab which may be of help

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30448-adding-kidney-shims-for-larger-troopers/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29077-adding-the-kidney-shim-not-bad-but/

For level 3 you would have to blend in the join lines too, here is a how to make abs paste

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/

Pinched this from another build to show how the sides should align

TK%20167%20lo-res.jpg

• Like 1

• Sly11 unpinned this topic