Advice Needed On Autographed Helmet

Blairy550

Hello there folks, new to this forum and don't have a question about building armour, rather I'm looking for advice on how to protect my autographed Anovos First Order Trooper helmet, and figured you guys might be the best people to ask!

Just looking to know if anyone has any advice on if a protective coating could be put on the helmet to 'seal in' the current autographs: because I've been taking the helmet to several conventions over several years, some of the earliest ones are now rubbing off (for example, the David Prowse one in the picture below.) I've heard some glue sprays might be good for sealing in the helmet, the only thing is, I'm still looking to add autographs, and so not sure if adding a sealant would prevent that.

On top of that, the helmet has now discoloured slightly, now a little off white. Thinking about keeping it in a UV protective case to prevent it further, but if anyone else has a solution, would love to hear it.

If anyone has any advice for a desperate Star Wars fan, pleas let me know!

Thanks!

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

Hi Blair, first of all: welcome to FISD :)

That is an awesome helmet you have there and I fully understand your need to "save" all these signatures. My guess would be, the wear and tear also happens during transport. As you still plan to add more autographs, I would not use any transparent covering sprays at this moment. Wait with this, until you have the last autograph.

To protect everything in the meantime, I would wrap it in cling film for the transport. That would avoid any direct contact with the surface, while at the same time still make it accessible for adding new signatures.

1 hour ago, T-Jay said:

Hi Blair, first of all: welcome to FISD :)

That is an awesome helmet you have there and I fully understand your need to "save" all these signatures. My guess would be, the wear and tear also happens during transport. As you still plan to add more autographs, I would not use any transparent covering sprays at this moment. Wait with this, until you have the last autograph.

To protect everything in the meantime, I would wrap it in cling film for the transport. That would avoid any direct contact with the surface, while at the same time still make it accessible for adding new signatures.

Oh wow, I feel like an idiot as I never thought of the clingfilm idea, and it's pretty much perfect! You're right in that the wear and tear happens when I take it to cons, so it's a brilliant solution, thanks!

And yeah, I still need to get Mark Hamill to sign it, he's perhaps one of the last main guys I'm looking to get it signed by! (With the exception of those actors who aren't going to cons yet, your Daisy Ridleys and John Boyagas ;) )

1 hour ago, CoatHanger said:

No advice.  Just wanted to say this is awesome!

Thanks! It's the one big nerdy thing I do, get Star Wars signatures. Got pretty much all the Rebels cast at Celebration last year, and have been adding to it with cons at the UK ever since. Has some curve ball ones too, such as Sarah Michelle Gheler and Kevin Smith, people I love more from other things but had little roles in the SW Universe!

Here's the other side, have some more on the back too :D

IMG_2964.JPG

Edited by Blairy550
  • Like 1

Double check the cling film won't pull up the ink first!  Try find a similar white shiny ABS scrap and write on it in blue sharpie  Give it time to dry and then wrap it and leave it for a couple of weeks (ie much worse than what will actually happen).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Double check the cling film won't pull up the ink first!  Try find a similar white shiny ABS scrap and write on it in blue sharpie  Give it time to dry and then wrap it and leave it for a couple of weeks (ie much worse than what will actually happen).

That is a very good idea, Chris. Definitely worth to test, before doing this with that priceless helmet.

The sharpie will bleed through anything that you spray on, so just keep it out of the sun. Dust with a damp soft cloth.

I would research before I wrapped it in anything. I believe cling wrap is vinyl.

And sharpie is lots of different solvents like isopropanol. You need an alcohol based solvent to remove sharpie, so I'd enjoy it just like it is. 

18 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Great advice, thank you! Luckily I should be able to get a hold of some ABS fairly easily, going to try that out!

10 hours ago, TK4205 said:

The sharpie will bleed through anything that you spray on, so just keep it out of the sun. Dust with a damp soft cloth.

I would research before I wrapped it in anything. I believe cling wrap is vinyl.

10 hours ago, TK4205 said:

And sharpie is lots of different solvents like isopropanol. You need an alcohol based solvent to remove sharpie, so I'd enjoy it just like it is. 

10 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Yep, do nothing is my vote as well. Clear spray paint will make that Sharpie bleed everywhere as will most any other sort of paint/sealant.

A big thank you to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate the thoughts and feed back! Sounds like leaving it as is will be the way to go!

10 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Get a display case and display it. If you need to get signatures just be super careful with it when you travel.

Will definitely need a display case I think!

On that track, does anyone have any recommendations for a display case?

Thanks in advance! 

I would say look into a generic (no team) display case for a football helmet. Might fit in there perfectly. Then you can put it wherever you want people to see it. Preferable away from a window. I’d imagine UV would fade it eventually.

I know Michaels Crafts has some in their stores or online somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UV will yellow most plastics, I don't know about fading of the ink but it can happen. They might make cases that block out UV light but those might be pricey.

I don't know many specifics, but I've heard of someone using an automotive quality clear coat to protect signatures on helmets.  It'd likely be a lot in the application, and less in the material used.