Casting latex handguards from the plastic ones?

I tried putting plaster inside the cheese grater to make a mold. LoL I couldn’t get it out. So now I’ll try to make a clay mold for the plaster.

KBndUhO.jpg%5B

I'll probably start the TK handguards and finish them, by doing thinner layers before that stack of rubber cures.

Luckily your not in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I tried putting plaster inside the cheese grater to make a mold. LoL I couldn’t get it out. So now I’ll try to make a clay mold for the plaster.

KBndUhO.jpg%5B
OH NO!...It's a learning process!. Sorry, some things I should have told you I guess... One. You should have sprayed some PAM or something inside the cheese grater. Two. The plaster is to make the negative mold, the clay is what you sculpt the grater out of, the cast it with the plaster. Try rolling out a stack of clay, the use the grater like a cookie cutter (but spray the inside first so it doesn't stick to it again. Clean up the clay shape. Spray the clay shape with some non-stick, then put the plaster over that to cast a negative. Then pour your latex into the plaster mold. Remember when I said the clay and plaster was labor-intensive, and if pouring direct didn't work, I'd just order a pair. Now you know what I'm talking about. Sorry I'm laughing, I've been there. The good things is Plaster should be pretty brittle, and you should be able to chisel it out, carefully. Other option is to cut the plastic off...

Another method, would be to have a blob of plaster and press the outside of the guard down into the plaster. Take an impression of the outside. Going to check on the one I poured two days ago. Since it's a test I may try to pull it. May have messed it up when I checked it yesterday, and it was still gooey deep down.

I did spray it and is sucked ! Haha I have a friend who told me everything you just did so I’m gonna make a clay mold now

KBndUhO.jpg%5B
OK, I gave up waiting last night, because I figured not only had I jacked things up by partially pulling the latex the other day, to learn the rubber in the depths hadn't fully cured, but also because I wasn't sure it would ever cure. However, I'm pretty confident if you poured in stages, letting the deep latex cure, then adding more on top, you'd get a better result.

The other thing I'd consider doing is adding a rectangle of cheesecloth after the stage that fills the depth to give some rigidity.55e46855c77a6fbee084df3e18564c61.jpg

So coming back to this, after a few days of painting my helmet, working on the armor etc. After a learning first attempt on the cheese graters I'm not using, it's time for a second attempt. This time on the guards I will be using. Sprayed the inside of the guards with mold release. Poured a cup of latex, squeezed in maybe a six inch squirt of white acrylic paint, and stirred it up. Remembering how long it took the other cast to dry, latex air cures, hence the heavy ammonia smell; this time I'm laying in the rubber in stages. Just start slopping it in with a brush making sure to push the rubber into the corners of the handguards. Probably 1-2.5 mm thick. Once it cures a bit, I'll lay in some more.15986a5e632adc93d02aa88d546c6897.jpgc76bd8d1f805551229bfb4933dcc8f7b.jpg

Couple more coats of latex, including one in the middle, where I cut out some cheesecloth, and jammed rubber over and into the cheesecloth, plus one more layer of just latex.

Moment of truth...pulled them from the ABS guards.

Not bad overall, seems like there were a couple of air bubbles in the first layer, so less than perfect on the right guard.1b7ea0fe250761f5a2f5139841400936.jpgf0379d2d014d0742cbe190d3f1477496.jpg