TheLorelei

Lorelei's 5'4" ATA ANH-S Centurion-Hopeful Build

4 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

do you really think I have to get a new one?

You don’t have to but that’s what I would do.

At the very least I would make that vertikal cut and see how it looks:)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

You don’t have to but that’s what I would do.

At the very least I would make that vertikal cut and see how it looks:)

Gotcha. Yeah, that's a good first step. And since you're so many time zones ahead of me, happy almost New Year to you and yours, Daniel!!

10 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

Gotcha. Yeah, that's a good first step. And since you're so many time zones ahead of me, happy almost New Year to you and yours, Daniel!!

Just under 5h to goB) and happy new years to you and your family too:)

• Like 2

If it were me I would get a new one and have another go to make it more in keep with the original, you are correct in that vertikal cut
5oZR9Mn.jpg&key=aa05c7f3af87fa7104b7e42cfa13ad7ae0d5bdfaa000fbcdadd9fc8fb71876fe
xZgNIYr.jpg&key=53a0aff5178c180a166c9c0ce23fb807dcd8754b9eac436a6bebed1209cfc926
3Zhmgz7.jpg&key=39f674f578879f2fa9cf0b6f32ac9cd270fa5d0842cadb54be16cfa1b8d8b6c9
5oZR9Mn.jpg&key=aa05c7f3af87fa7104b7e42cfa13ad7ae0d5bdfaa000fbcdadd9fc8fb71876fe

I’d go with what Daniel suggested. If you look at my sniper knee- one side has a vertical cut but it lines up with the shin edge. The other side has more of an angled cut because I was trying to line up with the shin edges. But again, I defer to Daniel’s advice- the dude knows his stuff.

Btw, happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Slight rework to see if I need to get that new knee in the mail. This thing was HARD to pry off! Go E6000!!

imtvSxl.jpg

Not a perfect vertical, but not the slope it was, and not so far from the shin corner either.

q6G4pxD.jpg

I don't love how it ends up on a slight diagonal but that seems to be screen accurate, so...

M5dY3pz.jpg

Obviously there's more trimming of the sides to be done and sanding etc but here's the concept. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

Snap, do you really think I have to get a new one? I mean I'll do it, goodness knows Terrell probably put a whole spare kit aside for me after seeing how many ears I ordered :), but looking at the scrap I cut off from around my knee I'm not sure there's much more I could've kept. Looking at other ATA people's knees, that seems to hold true. From D'Angelo's recent ATA Centurion app, for instance:

So his edges are vertical, yes, but at the cost of being not quite to the "bend" in the calf, which is where I'm afraid I'd be even if I got a new one.

The ATA sniper knee, even a replacement will NOT line up on the right side, they're made small, just an FYI. The left side should be close.

That said, we have several ATA L3 badge holders with imperfect sniper knees. Though Daniel is correct in pointing out they should be aligned with the return edge you will not be held to that standard because the manufacturer didn't make them big enough. 

• Like 1

I like the rework. I thought the original was good too. It’s not gonna be perfect none of them where. I hate how my ammo belt is on my right thigh. I bugged AM for months to get a replacement. I felt like it was the worse thing in the world and people were laughing at me and every time I would say something at a troop everyone was like it’s fine. Ended up getting the replacement and still haven’t changed it. You’ll see a lot of perfect builds on this forum but I’m willing to bet just about everyone has that one thing nobody notices or cares about that ticks them off.

Or you could order a new one, ultimately it’s your time and money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

Slight rework to see if I need to get that new knee in the mail.

No need for a new one:) However when going back in the thread and looking at both your shins it do look like Paul is correct, could be the way you have it between the legs for the photo but might be worth to check:salute:

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 12:51 AM, TheLorelei said:

WxxMP9a.jpg

D17wKB7.jpg

fOUGX5G.jpg

It;s definitely the right shin. They are paired up perfect;y and worn on the correct legs in the photos above, so something has gone astray since. It's nothing major anyway if they have been swapped over as the shins were all over the place in the movies, but you had them assembled correctly earlier.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, troopermaster said:

It;s definitely the right shin. They are paired up perfect;y and worn on the correct legs in the photos above, so something has gone astray since. It's nothing major anyway if they have been swapped over as the shins were all over the place in the movies, but you had them assembled correctly earlier.

Something HAS gone astray - my mind! This must've been among the "brilliant" things I set in motion while sick and fuzzy-minded. Thank you for catching this, Paul! I'm excited to see how it lines up on the other shin :D

23 hours ago, ukswrath said:

The ATA sniper knee, even a replacement will NOT line up on the right side, they're made small, just an FYI. The left side should be close.

Ok, for anybody here who may have historically had trouble with right and left :rolleyes:, do you mean the "inside" of the knee or the "outside" should be close? Thanks!

23 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Or you could order a new one, ultimately it’s your time and money.

Thanks, Frank. Our flaws do tend to stand out to ourselves most. Trying to balance that with Centurion-grade quality and screen accuracy can be tough, though!

***Also, PSA*** - Hallmark stores have Christmas goods 60% off, including that amazing light-up tree skirt featuring Darth Vader & son's classic lightsaber duel. Guess who finally got one :smiley-sw013: along with several Tie Fighter ornaments. Ooh yeahh.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion Lorelei, Paul is correct regarding which shin the sniper knee is to be mounted to, forgive me for not catching that I was solely focused on the knee only.

Regarding the knee itself, the left shin inner will not line up with the edge of the sniper knee as seen in the provided screen shots above. Unless Tyrell (ATA) has changed his process the knee has a flared edge at the corner, the area in question. For the knee to look correct the flare will need to be trimmed off. Trimming the flare leaves the area in question a bit short of where it should be. The only reason I know this is I have an ATA and had the exact same concern and ordered a 2nd knee thinking somehow I'd messed up the first, nope, same problem. Hope this helps

• Like 1

"I'm excited to see how it lines up on the other shin," I said. HAHAhaha, ha, ha, ha. It lines up much worse, and I've definitely overtrimmed the top edge. You can see the shin behind it. It should be up here, according to further research (and Tony's detailed trim lines from his build which I somehow imagined did not apply to mine):

y2L7jke.jpg

9 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Sorry for the confusion Lorelei, Paul is correct regarding which shin the sniper knee is to be mounted to, forgive me for not catching that I was solely focused on the knee only.

The only reason I know this is I have an ATA and had the exact same concern and ordered a 2nd knee thinking somehow I'd messed up the first, nope, same problem. Hope this helps

It's ok, Tony! No harm done. Didn't think to check for it myself, either.

I'm glad you've worked with the actual ATA knee; it's really useful to hear about the specific alignment issues.

Well, off to email ATA about a new knee. :) Thanks again for all the help, everybody!! I'd look like the guy with the 5-gallon bucket for a helmet if it wasn't for you guys. Here's to another year of great community, and may your armor always be shiny and white.

...Until you decide to go sandy.

:lol:

Awesome progress on your build!

Re the forearms, are you planning on trimming off a notch? If so, something you could also consider is taking apart the forearms and aligning the tops more, and trimming them even on the wrist end, since you don't want any return edge on the wrist end anyway. I don't have an ATA kit so I don't know how well it would actually work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shashachu said:

Awesome progress on your build!

Re the forearms, are you planning on trimming off a notch? If so, something you could also consider is taking apart the forearms and aligning the tops more, and trimming them even on the wrist end

Thanks, ShaSha! Good idea. Problem is I already trimmed off a notch actually, and the top edge of the smooth piece is pretty "strict" on the cover strip side. ATA has a ton of cover strip ridges molded in that (I'm given to understand) other makers don't. They make for a nice flat surface and clean look when you're going for the size they're made for, but they definitely take away some flexibility when you're not!

Trudging along. Feeling a bit like I'll never get it all strapped together to a satisfactory level. My advisor in the Carida Academy is also our GML (:)) so I'm going to see if I can meet up with him soon to get chest, shoulder bell, cod, and thigh placement really nailed down. It's quite hard for me to adjust alone, or without real-time feedback. Y'all are too far away!

My Han snap is now a snap :o, and the kidney notch reinforcements are curing. Say, where's that to-do list??

Glue buttons to ab

Attach snaps to ab and belt, add drop boxes

Size cod and connect to ab

Cod to butt elastic (soft stuff)

Polish and paint ab repair seam

Ab to kidney strapping, Butt to kidney mounts and strapping

Create lens and mesh mounts, Install lenses and mounts

Polish bucket, Install ears, Paint bucket, Install frown mesh

Hovi mic things galore

Trim shoulder tops, Connect shoulders

Heat form and reinforce shoulder straps (?)

Apply straps to chest

Size bell strap, Sew in offset shoulder bell snap, Trim shoulder bells (12" from bottom of ridge, 5" from side of ridge?)

Thigh ammo pack, Sniper knee, Make neck seal bib

So. :unsure:  Gotta take it in bites! Make the strapping I know the lengths of (ab connections primarily), do another fitting of everything, make more strapping, and work on those darn mounts for inside my bucket whenever I possibly can. I kept forgetting to bring epoxy putty back from work so had completely stalled on those and since the rest of the bucket is kinda waiting on those... no bucket work. But now I have them! And a few free hours tonight! I got this!

• Like 1

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time....

You're getting close.....keep chugging.....  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 2

Well yesterday I got a few things done, almost all of which unearthed more things to be done/fixed. Delightful. ;p But I got a new camera for my phone! Yay!

I cleaned up the paint job on my ab buttons and set those a-gluing so I can position my belt today and put those snaps in.

fS0u54z.jpg

I hot water bathed, trimmed, and installed my thigh ammo pack

FnvUh8u.jpg

ha7uvlv.jpg

PBFPl8p.jpg

Show of hands for who hates it as much as I do? (I see what you're saying now, Frank!) But really, is the left side mounted way too far back? I can take it off and trim it down and mount it further forward if need be. And LOOK at the cover strips on the side visible in the right picture - *cringe* - worth taking off and regluing, yes? The front one is close to fine, though. I dunno.

I also worked on lens and frown mesh mounts

zdF4J0P.jpg

The lens mounts are made of plumber's epoxy putty and will be carved and sanded into much nicer shapes.

yZJXDhd.jpg

The frown mesh mount is made of some HDPE from a black 5gal bucket.

I also tried to reinstall the snap mounts for my buttplate to kidney connection. While doing so, I realized my buttplate is no longer curved properly. (Also seen in this pic is the kidney splice, still being smoothed, and the 22mm notch being reshaped.)

f4zM1lg.jpg

c25exwI.jpg

I'm willing to admit the wide curve may contribute to the problem below. But I don't think reshaping will solve everything - the butt and kidney just don't want to stay together. Tony mentioned having the snap plates right on either side of the seam to help combat sliding and overlapping, but I don't think that'll be enough for the sides. Things - me things - just aren't straight enough, so the side straps get slid at an angle and the back pops out and up over the kidney. Ideally I'd have enough room in the torso to pad out my mid and lower back so the buttplate could hang straight down from the kidney but alas, I don't have the space. (Getting a new ab and kidney has crossed my mind.) I'd like a more stable connection method than snap plates and elastic - something more like the ab to kidney connection would be ideal, how the slot+tab remove all possibility of misalignment. I think that's too rigid for this application though. At the very least I'd like to install an elastic "hinge" (also as seen on kidney-ab) in the flat middle portion where this snap set is now.

lSuTqWb.jpg

So! Progress progresses. :) Anyone seen any innovative butt to kidney connections?

• Like 1

Never did post photos of my completed holster!

5a4t6q1.jpg

Stitching detail:

v6dMtGx.jpg

Snap detail:

ltGMvgL.jpg

Blaster strap riveted on back:

fwOWQVg.jpg

All done by hand! It was a super gratifying project and surprisingly quick. And I got to make it to my blaster's exact specs. :)

• Like 3

Very nice stitching, you have more patience and skill with a needle than I :icon_bow:

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very nice stitching, you have more patience and skill with a needle than I :icon_bow:

Why thank you! I must admit I am quite proud of it, haha. It wasn't too difficult, but patience was required, yes. ;)

• Like 1

Nice job on everything. I’m sending over some orders for holsters I need about 20 by tomorrow to get the business started.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Nice job on everything. I’m sending over some orders for holsters I need about 20 by tomorrow to get the business started.

Haha... don't tempt me!

• Like 1

To combat weak connection points between armor sections swap out the elastic for nylon webbing ;)

• Like 1