ANH AM 2.0 build... Finally

Ah, I see what you mean - the curve on the kidney plate...

a62f26471f381ab08ea6a551342ee9b4.png

Yours seems to have a bit of a curve. Have you looked at any other AM builds for tips on how they cut theirs? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine's clamped at the slight angle I generated, LOL.... It's what I was trying to illustrate tipping the kidney forward, why I'm starting to think there may have been a slight angle on the screen used.

It's tough researching the other AM builds, as they have been for larger, not necessarily taller, troopers, and there was probably little to no trimming in this area. Or it's been a step that's been skipped in the build thread, where only the end result has been shown. Or some, in my opinion (which may not count for much, since this is my first build) look like they could have used some trimming in that area but didn't. I guess I'm obsessing now, because if I still hole for the split rivets, then find I need to trim a tiny bit, with my luck, I'll have problems with the holes.

I guess I'm going back into the spandex, and this time I'll overlap the Ab over the kidney,(rather than the kidney over the Ab) and see what line I come up with, and if that slight angle remains.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry too much about it just yet. When you start strapping on the chest and back, you’ll get more feel for the whole thing.
It’s early days - you’ll get there. :-)

• Like 2

For the record the cut does not need to be perfect. We will not make you pull out a protractor to prove straight lines lol. 

Regarding the 22mm kidney notch, though it is screen accurate it is NOT a requirement to create if the armor did not come with it.

As stated in the CRL: Level three certification (if applicable):
Cut-out notches at the bottom of right and left sides of the Kidney Armor are optional. If present, each notch is approximately 22 mm tall and the back of the notch ideally is aligned with the front edges of the Posterior Armor plate..

• Like 3

Long time, no post... Mind you, I haven't been slacking, well not much anyways. I made it up to a garrison shop night last Thursday, definitely what I needed to size forearms, thighs, and shins. The past week has been cutting, gluing, and starting on some strapping. It has been pretty slow moving mostly due to cure times (E6000 all the way), and that I've been doing one side of interior shims at a time. Webbing snaps take up some clamps and magnets as well. Bunch of tedious stuff, so I have skipped a bunch of "now gluing this side" posts. Think I'm going to have to redo one of the interior shims, on a forearm, just didn't hold that well, there is a lot of tension when completing the circle, and I may not have let it set a full 24 hours on the left forearm.

Anyways, have the basic vertical strapping on the torso done. The shoulder straps are just rigged up with Velcro (and black elastic, will ultimately be white) so I could keep tweaking to ultimately discover where the snaps are going to go. Have put reinforcement strips on the Ab, but not the kidney yet (on today's glue list). Think I'm ready for rivets... haven't made the grundle strap yet, but it will only help.965b05d8f6dc09dd2f2781f3d323cc0c.jpge977ba5df56c99db34e97f40fe311026.jpg7c7ae394544fb704ae4bf7976cdaccbf.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good from what is visible on those pictures! :duim:

30 minutes ago, DBGrip said:

Think I'm going to have to redo one of the interior shims, on a forearm, just didn't hold that well, there is a lot of tension when completing the circle, and I may not have let it set a full 24 hours on the left forearm.

When the glue is set properly, it should not move that much even if you force the pieces into place. If there is still always too much tension, you can always try to hot bath the piece carefully to shape it towards how it should go and fit.

Keep it up, coming along great! :)

Glad to hear you made it to the build night! 

Question for you, have you had to cut any of the bridges to make the chest and back fit?

If you wean the pieces on the chest and back plate, I did cut some back, not sure if I HAD to. I actually added up taking off most of the return on the back plate, and will trim back the shoulder bridge later (it is much larger than 2" wide. I chose to do it more from looking at screen caps, for an aesthetic decision rather than necessity. I'll probably end up removing some more of the return edge in front. I removed almost all of the return on the shoulders on the chest, and cut off the bridges where the width equalled 2 inches. Will probably heat shape the lower back a little more to have it wrap the body a little better.

I find myself looking at Han's suit the most, because I know for a fact he's only 3/4's of an inch to an inch shorter than me, though I'm a little heftier (not much). I figure the suits were from the same molds, so he's really the visual reference for me. If I remember right LTM, you're in that same height range (just under/over 6' 2") so it should be a good reference for you as well, as to how the suit should sit on our frames. There are a ton in the Gallery.

I still haven't decided how much chest return I'm going to take off, but I can do that later.

• Like 2

Side rivets.... Looking through the forums, I've found multiple measurements for the left side split rivets. 10 mm Fri. The edge is constant, as is the 20 mm from the top. Vertical spacing is not. Ukswrath has 20 mm, 80 mm (60 mm space)and 150 mm (70mm ); Billhag is 20mm, 52mm space, 53 mm space; another build thread had 20mm, 57mm, 58mm. Sigh. Is there a correct one?

Also for right snap, I've seen both 20mm top and edge, and 12mm top and edge...

This is my work task for today.

The top, bottom edge and center (between the top and bottom rivet) measurements are rough guesstimates because canon measurements were all over the place, the only area that is constant is the 10mm to side edge, hence it's the only measurement mentioned in the CRL. 

The top, bottom edge and center (between the top and bottom rivet) measurements are rough guesstimates because canon measurements were all over the place, the only area that is constant is the 10mm to side edge, hence it's the only measurement mentioned in the CRL. 
Gotcha, so if I understand correctly find a good place for top and bottom then find an equidistant middle point.

How about right snap?

Got the rivets installed a couple of days ago, and threw on the torso. It was both encouraging and disappointing at the same time. Encouraging because it all came together, and disappointing because I had to adjust some straps. Threw on the rest of my half finished pieces and stumbled around the house, holding up my thighs. Didn't have a free hand to take pictures. Moved some snaps in the armor a little, which saved me from having to shorten the chest straps an inch and a bit (that would have taken 4 more female snaps). Need to get some more snaps anyways, another pack should do.

Put on just the torso today to open up for comments. I'm not strapped down under, that's one strap I seriously misjudged, and need to make longer. Looked really funny being so short. Also need to trim the sides of the posterior a little.355857c8cd859b95dd78873ee7ef2982.jpgd8a11a08ac8536a26d02f5b9e5a41946.jpg8cb27a1197c7f25d7ddb9baf29d18284.jpg562f34e8871e963da17ba92e12bbc3e4.jpg

• Like 1

Plugging away. Did some regluing of arm pieces, and other little things the past few days. Finally heading out to grab some more snaps, so I can start making some more progress. Cut the 15mm arm cover strips, debating on some ABS paste filler on some seam gaps at top and bottom, but a little nervous about melting other plastic...will test on some scraps later today.

Question for now. Cut a 20mm thigh strip, and laid it on the front of the thigh. Remembered I hadn't the front detail join edge at 11mm a side to allow for sanding, etc. I've already assembled the thighs with inner cover strips, and have them where U like them (well may need to take a little of the top. But the big question here is (see pics) if the slightly narrower cover strip is acceptable, it if I should cut 22mm strips?

Also to double check front and back of thighs and front of shins are all 20mm? Only the backs of shims are 25 mm? I seem to recall seeing a thread where it was claimed 22mm is actually the correct measurement for leg cover strips...So much contradicting info out there...83f565cc3f83e69725006732e20c9bcb.jpgd2b4fc49994e2efefcec1f12d14a7f39.jpg

Found where 22 mm comes from. Some build threads have referred to cover strips in imperial measurement. 5/8, 7/8, 1 inch. 7/8=22mm (well actually 22.2something).

So whilst waiting on answers about if the cover strip could be slightly thinner than the molding on the front of the thigh, I started pouring through the galleries.  Yes it can.  It was hard to notice in the screen caps except for one, but the RS suit gallery gave some answers as well.

What gives me a headache is after looking through the galleries it seems 12.5mm tops of forearms, 15mm bottom, 15 mm biceps, 21.5 front thighs, 20 back, 22 front of shins, 25 back of shins are the closest.  LOL.  no wonder 15, 20, 25 is the rule of thumb.  I think I'm going to go 15 arms, 21-21.5 front of thighs (just to have less of the under molding showing) 20 backs of thighs. 25 back of shins, and somewhere between 20 and 22 on the front.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, I knew I had stepped away for a while, but didn't realize it had been that long. Time to finish up. Front shin cover strips today, maybe a little TD planning/ assembly... and time to order the rest of my parts!

Hyperfirm E-11 came. Pretty happy with it. Time to order neckseal and holster, so probably going to go with Darman, and hope I get everything together in time.

So hivemind, zipper or velcro? Pros cons...

• Like 1