Tox's RS build thread

toxication

Ok... armor has been laying around for a whilte now. Starting to get the feeling I am in a hurry. There are some troops coming up I would love to do in white instead of my usual black. Sorry, brief intro: TI-69241, I have an ANH and a First Order tie pilot costume, both approved with the Dutch Garrison.

Despite having quite some experience now in playing around with the plastics, I am a bit wary when it comes to putting this together, it is after all one of the most iconic costumes possible.

So please endulge me and help me a bit here and there :)

I am getting help with the helmet, for now not too much with the rest of the armor.

Trimmed most of it, now started to trim and blue-tape my first fore-arm.

I guess the return edge on the outside can be smoothened out even more?

IMG_20180606_212336-X2.jpg

Also, the elbow sides of the arm do not seem to match up well:
IMG_20180606_212310-X2.jpg

What do I do with that? this is the back of my arms.

The front of the arm is not smooth, there is a clear V-shape visible in the connecting parts for now, will that smoothen out somehow when I put the coverplates on?

IMG_20180606_212251-X2.jpg

Edited by toxication

I’m by no means an expert, but I have put together one RS kit, and working on another

Pic 1: the return edge on the wrist end should be removed altogether, so I think you need to trim a tiny bit more.

Pic 3: I had the same on my 2 kits; I found that gluing the cover strip onto the lower side (the left part in the pic) first is the best, so when you glue the two halves together you get better adhesion. Hope that makes sense?

Regarding pic 2: did you dry-fit the pieces and trimmes them down to the correct size? If not, you could trim the longer part down circumferentially, which should shorten the piece due to the slope at the elbow. Again, hope I’m making sense

Hope that helps at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wrist ends I will indeed clean out even more, been a bit conservative there cause I was not sure yet whether I need to shorten them more.

Thing with the elbow is, the ends do match up on the front side, just not on the back of the elbow.

IMG_20180606_212226-X2.jpg

On 6/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, Chrelle said:

I’m by no means an expert, but I have put together one RS kit, and working on another emoji1.png

Pic 1: the return edge on the wrist end should be removed altogether, so I think you need to trim a tiny bit more.

Pic 3: I had the same on my 2 kits; I found that gluing the cover strip onto the lower side (the left part in the pic) first is the best, so when you glue the two halves together you get better adhesion. Hope that makes sense? emoji848.png

Regarding pic 2: did you dry-fit the pieces and trimmes them down to the correct size? If not, you could trim the longer part down circumferentially, which should shorten the piece due to the slope at the elbow. Again, hope I’m making sense emoji28.png

Hope that helps at all emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re Pic 3, thanks for the tip! Going to attempt that one tomorrow, see how that works out. Hope it will buff out properly, what i hear from others in NL with a RS it should work out fine.

Update!!

Both lower arms and biceps are done and looking quite good. Still need to clean up some glue of course, but for the rest they rest well around my arms.

A few more things I need to trim properly, among others the shoulder bells. I have real difficulty with those. I really do not see the cutting lines here.

IMG_20180614_210830-X3.jpg

IMG_20180614_210851-X3.jpg

And the way they arrived from RS they are huge! These are the only things at the moment that completely terrify me, cause I have no idea where to cut yet. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

11 minutes ago, toxication said:

Update!!

Both lower arms and biceps are done and looking quite good. Still need to clean up some glue of course, but for the rest they rest well around my arms.

A few more things I need to trim properly, among others the shoulder bells. I have real difficulty with those. I really do not see the cutting lines here.

And the way they arrived from RS they are huge! These are the only things at the moment that completely terrify me, cause I have no idea where to cut yet. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Pan back on the photos a bit so we can get a better idea of what we're looking at.

Also, I know it's still early in the process, but try to do your fitment tests while wearing your undersuit as much as possible, as it can sometimes influence how things will end up looking/feeling/fitting in the end.

On another note, RS suits are awesome - can't wait to see this! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hollowbodies said:

Also, I know it's still early in the process, but try to do your fitment tests while wearing your undersuit as much as possible, as it can sometimes influence how things will end up looking/feeling/fitting in the end.

On another note, RS suits are awesome - can't wait to see this! :)

The actual fitting I do indeed do with my undersuit underneath it.
Quite a few of the return edges I am leaving bigger than required and trim them down the moment the pieces are glued together.

Loving the quality indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Pan back on the photos a bit so we can get a better idea of what we're looking at.

Will do, but that will have to wait a bit. I just turned my phone into a paper-weight unfortunately. New photos coming in tomorrow ;)

Cricket has the measurements in her RS build, I have RS to but I just used my TM bells as a guide and I don’t have the suit with me at the moment so can’t measure but look up cricket’s build and you’ll have it:salute:

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

Cricket has the measurements in her RS build, I have RS to but I just used my TM bells as a guide and I don’t have the suit with me at the moment so can’t measure but look up cricket’s build and you’ll have it:salute:

Thanks! Gonna look that one up!

got a mate from Dutch Garrison coming by this weekend, he promised to take his TM bells with him. So that will help with lines as well.

• Like 1

cut the front of the lower legs today and did a trial fitting.

They are quite snug, I still intend to remove a bit of the return edge at the top and clean out the last mm at the bottom. That will hopefully give me enough playing room to get them right.

The shoes btw are 20 euro, brown chelsea boots from Aldi ;) Painted by hand. Non of that fancy boots for me just yet. Working on a bit tighter budget than I did for my First Order TI.

IMG_20180619_171813-X2.jpg

Going to have to figure out how to get the back aligned properly, at least at the top.

IMG_20180619_171838-X2.jpg

Still need to clean up the soles of my shoes a bit, remove some of the paint that I got on them.

As I am 182cm the length of the lower legs is close to perfect for me, by the feel of it.

IMG_20180619_171831-X2.jpg

I haven't removed the pull-edge from the back sides yet, quite worried I am not going to have enough material to play with in the end. So first planning to get the front coverplates on, align the back properly and glue them together properly.

Intending to close the back with industrial velcro as I have used copious amounts of on my TI costumes (but then obviously for TK in white).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toxication said:

Finally remembered to make some better photos of the bells, they are all the same shoulder bell. All the right side.

Remove return edge and test fit. There should be very little space between the bells and chest / back plate plate. I wouldn't recommend going off anyone else's measurements when it comes to the bells. This is definitely one area that is absolutely unique to the wearer. Can't tell you how many applicants we've seen with too much trimmed off the bells. Be careful

The measurement I referd to in Cricket’s build were given to her by Rob at RS propmasters so that would be the size of the screen used bell however Tony makes a valid point - having no cutlines the RS bells gives the opportunity to go bigger if needs be, atleast to a point. I could/should have been more clear about that.

On a sidenote I put my TM bells inside the RS ones and drew a line hence they got a bit bigger and that was all that I needed and if memory serves, Cricket ended up trimning them more as they were to big for her frame but don’t quote me on that....as Tony said we are all different:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

The measurement I referd to in Cricket’s build were given to her by Rob at RS propmasters so that would be the size of the screen used bell however Tony makes a valid point - having no cutlines the RS bells gives the opportunity to go bigger if needs be, atleast to a point. I could/should have been more clear about that.

On a sidenote I put my TM bells inside the RS ones and drew a line hence they got a bit bigger and that was all that I needed and if memory serves, Cricket ended up trimning them more as they were to big for her frame but don’t quote me on that....as Tony said we are all different:)

Well said :duim:

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 12:14 AM, TheSwede said:

That indeed is a nice thought. Starting off a bit bigger and if and when needed sizing down. Downsizing is always an option, getting them bigger again is a bit more of a hassle.

Excellent tip! Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toxication said:

That indeed is a nice thought. Starting off a bit bigger and if and when needed sizing down. Downsizing is always an option, getting them bigger again is a bit more of a hassle.

Excellent tip! Thanks!

:duim: 

For the record, the #1 correction suggestions we have during approvals are the bells. They're either positioned too far from the chest and back plates when assembled, the applicant trimmed off too much material or they're too small for the applicant. We encourage all builders take a look at the EIB and Centurion application pages to get an idea of what we're looking for. 

Keep up the good work Martijn 

Mounted the lenses in the bucket. Using 2 smaller lenses instead of 1 big one. My ANH Tie bucket has the one big lens, which is great. but considering the TK bucket is fairly small I wanted to keep as much space as possible so opted for 2 smaller lenses.

Mounted with these screws on both sides of they eye-holes the lenses are now tightly in there:

IMG_20180620_144848-X3.jpg

First put the screw (sorry, not a clue what these things are called in English, please enlighten me!)

then covered them with a bit of webbing dabbed (ok, soaked) in glue for extra firmness:

IMG_20180621_193618-X3.jpg

This construction works well in my Tie buckets as well, so applied it to TK.

Still need to do the paintjob of the bucket, but currently looks something like this:

IMG_20180622_093638-X3.jpg

Still going to see if I can get the lenses tighter in there. But first need to figure out how to get padding in my helmet in a somewhat comfortable manner. If I use the standard leaf structure padding the bucket is simply too small, my eyelashes touch the lenses :) 

IMG_20180622_093641-X3.jpg

Shoulder bells cut, to a bit bigger size than they most likely need to be in the end.

right upperleg is now equipped with a coverstrip:

IMG_20180625_164612-X2.jpg

Same thing for my lower legs:

IMG_20180625_164557-X2.jpg

IMG_20180625_164546-X2.jpg

Next up: bending the thigh ammo boxes and installing the sniperplate.