digitalzeros

Hello From Montreal

Hey everyone. I’m Eric from Montreal, Quebec Canada. 

Like most people here I’ve always dreamed of owning a TK Kit. When I first looked into it the price and work involved it discouraged me as I’m not good at putting things together. it’s also something my wife wouldn’t approve of considering the price. In recent years I had 2 little boys and between my full time job and commission paint work I do on the side, it left me no time to commit to putting a kit together even if I could get one.

However this year, for my birthday, my wife basically gave me her blessing to get a kit considering the additional income from the commission work so I started to do more research. I’ve been reading a ton on this forum and decided to get a kit from AP. It just so happens that mark lives about 15 minutes from my house. I went to visit him and was blown away by his great personality and all the info he gave me.

I have a bit of a concern this ghost and I’ve been getting mixed messages about this approach. Basically, I’m planning on getting the AP kit pre assembled. It seems that building your own is the way to go. But are people who don’t frowned upon? I wouldn’t want to be considering an outcast. I would eventually like to build my own perhaps when the kids need less attention and I’m less busy with two jobs. 

One of the big reasons I’m getting a kit is so I can eventually be part of the 501st because of all the charity work they do. Having two young boys has really changed my perception and seeing all the great things they do is inspiring. 

I welcome your opinions and guidance.

• Like 2

Hi Eric and welcome to the FISD!  AP is an excellent set of armor and you will be very happy with it. That is really cool that you are that close to Mark. And I will add that you will in NO WAY be considered an outcast for getting a commissioned set of armor. Many many people go this route for a variety of reasons. We are all brothers and sisters of the 501st.  Have fun and enjoy your armor!

• Like 2

Welcome!  Sounds like it won't be very long now before you start trooping in a cool AP kit.  It's all about having fun, so no worries whether it's pre-built or not.  All armor eventually requires maintenance, so you'll get plenty of experience there.   Enjoy your time in the forums! :)

Edited by Thumpy~
Erred about EIB/Centurion criteria
  • Like 1

Welcome to FISD!

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD!!  I have two AP kits.  Love them!  As rewarding as building your own armour may be, it is nothing compared to trooping and seeing that look on so many kids' faces (some of those kids have grey hair, but hey, it is all good).  So get the armour - and get trooping! :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 3

Welcome to FISD Eric!!

I have an AP kit and love it, but do yourself the biggest favor and just buy the kit and assemble it yourself. Not only will you learn a new skill, it's not as hard as you think, plus the pleasure it gives you when asked  about it, that you can state you built it yourself.

There is absolutely loads of help here and we will help you through the build process.

• Like 1

Hello Eric and welcome aboard.  I am excited for you and look forward to having you as a part of the 501st. :salute:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. The build is easy if you read threads, watch tutorials, and do not be afraid to ask questions.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. As I’ve read so far and continue to read, even with a kit already assembled it doesn’t stop there. Whether it be modifications, tweaks and such. I’m already looking into buying/building and E-11 which would need to be weathered (painting is more my specialty, as well as modifying the mask with electronic speaker. Really excited about things to come. I completely  understand as well the satisfaction of making it yourself and I have a feeling that with better timing I will inevitably build one from scratch in the future. 

• Like 1

Hello Eric and welcome to the FISD!

• Like 1

Bonjour et bienvenue Eric! I think building yourself is a great and fun experience, but it's totally your call! No shame in getting the commission. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Eric and welcome aboard future Trooper! 

Have a read in the “Getting Started-Read this First” section, as there is some really good info in there for new members.

If, and when, you’re looking for other bits –and-pieces, accessories, boots, blasters, electronics, etc., be sure to check out the “Imperial Commissary/PX” section for items for sale, project runs, and for other stuff that most of the troopers use.

Also, make contact with your local Garrison. They’ll help guide you through the process of becoming a member of the 501st, and may have local Armor Parties in the works where you can get hands-on build advice and guidance, not to mention meet members of your future Garrison.

So, start a build thread here on FISD; post lots of pictures and questions. We are all here to help you out and to make sure you look your best, and represent the 501st as best as possible.

All the best on your TK journey! :dancing-trooper:

• Like 1

Thanks 68Brick. While waiting for the kit I’ve been ordering the other parts that I will need. Placed an order with Imperial boots. Ordered a E-11 from Brett Fulford and a neck piece from Galactic go.

I’ve been reading up on the forum to see what options are available for the voice modifier.

Needless to say I’m learning a lot along the way and enjoying every minute of it.

• Like 1

Bienvenue Eric! Take a good look around, even if you already did, and I'm sure there are a lot of great resources that will help you make a decision. Anyways, as others said, building is just half the fun - and trooping is still great and rewarding as well! :)

Edited by hollowbodies

Hey Eric!

Sorry for being late to say Hi!

Time flies crushing Rebel Scum!

No worries on how you get here. Just that you have fun doing it!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Welcome to the FISD! I personally believe that it is better to have tons of help when building your own set of armor. Sometimes, it is just not possible due to a variety of reasons for you build your own armor and need some help and get it commissioned. 

Mark and AP are a great choice. Just be sure that if you do decide to commission it, that he gets your body type/size correct! :) Good Luck!

Salut Eric,

Bienvenue dans la FISD, si tu as des questions n'hésites pas à nous contacter ici sur le forum ou sur le forum de la Forteresse Impériale.  Pour ce qui est de l'assemblage de ton costume, tu ne seras pas regardé de travers si tu l'achètes pré-assemblé, on est là pour avoir du plaisir à trooper et à être ensemble.  Ceci dit, j'aurais des craintes sur les mesures car l'armure doit s'ajuster à ta physionomie.

J'ai acheté mon armure auprès de Mark comme plusieurs au Québec et je l'ai assemblé moi-même en suivant cet exemple:

Au plaisir de trooper ensemble.  Passe nous voir au Comiccon de Montréal, on sera là toute la fin de semaine.

Dominic.

*********************************************************************************************************

Hi Eric,

Welcome to FISD, if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us here on the forum or on the forum of the Forteresse Impériale. As for the assembly of your costume, you will not be wrong if you buy it pre-assembled, we are here to have fun to troop and to be together. That said, I have fears about the measures because the armor must adjust to your physionomy.

I bought my armor from Mark like many in Quebec and I assembled it myself following this example: 

Looking forward of trooping with you.  Come see us at the Montreal ComicCon, we'll be there all weekend.

Dominic.

Hey guys. Thanks for more feedback. I’ve already discussed the assembly with Mark and I will be going to see him for fitting before he puts it together. I’ve already tried a few pieces on when I went to visit him and it fit well.

• Like 2

Also, late to this party, but woah...what an amazing first post! Love it.

Just adding to what's been said already in this topic, absolutely no shame whatsoever in buying it pre-built. Tons of people do it, and I see the pre-builts even in the Centurion threads often! It's all personal preference, for sure.

By the way, those IB boots are amazing. Do yourself a favour ... put a bit of velcro where the front of your shin touches your boot. Yes, you'll put velcro on the inside of your shin as well, and that'll help hold it in place, but it'll also keep your shin armour beating the absolute snot out of the front of your boot on your very first troop. ;) Plus, put some gel insoles in there for your first troop...it'll be like gliding on a cloud of air! 

Always great to have fellow CDN in the 501st, even if you do live like 4000 miles away from me. LOL

Quick update. I’ve got my boots from Imperial boots. E-11 from Bret Fulford and helmet from AP. I’ve purchased the parts and app for TrooperTalk as well. Just missing the suit and undersuit. Still trying to find someone with no colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For the undersuit you have a few choices:. Merino wool undersuit from Costco, under armor (hide the logo with black permanent marker) or a few choices on Amazon.

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk