Molding

Hey Guys!!! I’m Carter, I’m 15 and not quite able to join the 501st but own an Anovos ANH TK stunt costume and it’s my pride and joy :) I’m interested in a shadow trooper costume but want to tackle it myself. I’d like to vacuum form my current kit but I have some obstacles. Vacuuming ABS armor would cause it to crack correct? If so what other options do I have? Can I make a mold of my current set? A response would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Hi Carter.  So you have a very interesting idea. However, do you have access to vacuum forming setups?  If you don’t, unfortunately you will find that trying to tackle a project like this will be too cost prohibitive. It will cost much less to just buy a shadow trooper kit from a vetted source then to spend the thousands of dollars to make a vacuum forming machine. 

What your proposing is also known as recasting.  In general this is frowned upon, though if it's genuinely for personal use then it's not really that big a deal.  Trouble is that 1-2 kits for you often becomes more for your friends and so on.

As Glen has said vacuum forming also quite a costly endeavour but something many have done before so with some reading around you can get a lot of help. Though there is an amount of art to it.

I would like to add on to what Chris has stated above, or expand on the art of Vac forming.

There are so many variables to consider like material costs and always a degree of trial and error from plastic to plastic. This equates to a lot of wastage so when you start adding up the overall cost of building a vac table, materials to vac form, making the bucks to pull over, wastage, not to mention a huge amount of time building everything you most definitely could have purchased yourself several sets of armour  all the tools required to assemble those kits with and built them for you and your mates.

Honestly, this is not an attempt to put you off, but rather to let you know what you are in for.

I vac form, I make bucks, molds for resin casting etc and trust me,if not for the group of guys I do this with all sinking a fair chunk of cash time and talent into it, it's not something I could have undertaken myself.

Best of luck with which ever path you chose and remember FISD is here to help.

12 hours ago, TK2103 said:

Thank you all for your advice!!! I’ll stick to buying my own kit. I’ve been looking into ATA and WTF kits

There ya go. Either of those two kits are fine choices.