ROTJ First Build Adventure!

nucklejoe

Hello all!

I am starting the work on my new CFO ROTJ armor kit from sskunky and I'm super excited to start on it however I am not the typical size for a stormtrooper. I'm 5'6 and 145lbs and i'm gonna try and slim down the armor so if anyone has any recommendations on slimming down the forearms, thighs, and shins, that help would be greatly appreciated cause I have no idea where to start. I've finished the helmet and I have started very basic trimming still leaving lots of area on the pieces to make sure i can slim it down later! I also don't know how to fasten the straps to the inside of the armor or what snaps or rivets to use and what spots need them to be screen accurate. I got a handy dandy drawing from Mark that is extremely helpful but again I don't know how to fasten everything to their designated spots. I thank everyone in advance for your amazing input and I'm very excited to get started on this challenge!

There is a limit to photo size BUT you can reduce the size a few ways, if you are using a phone there are plenty of phone apps out there for photo resize. If on a computer you can use Windows Paint, just Google image resizing for instructions . There are also some online pages for image reduction, here's just one

Most post links to their images which have been uploaded to an online host Imgur is what I use and it is free, just make sure once uploaded you use the Direct Image link option.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

There is a limit to photo size BUT you can reduce the size a few ways, if you are using a phone there are plenty of phone apps out there for photo resize. If on a computer you can use Windows Paint, just Google image resizing for instructions . There are also some online pages for image reduction, here's just one

Most post links to their images which have been uploaded to an online host Imgur is what I use and it is free, just make sure once uploaded you use the Direct Image link option.

Thanks I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, nucklejoe said:

I still don't know how to attach the elastic to the armor plates though

Screen accurate way is to glue the elastic directly to the armor:salute:

Check out the ROTJ CRL.  Gives very detailed information about armor building and the different levels of accuracy you might wish to take it.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj

look at ROTJ WIP threads to visually see how others did theirs. 

looking at your forearm, you’ll have to cut some more, especially the return edges, until you can comfortably start bending your arms.

In the EIB and Centurion request threads, look for ROTJ candidates.  There should be good close-ups of the strappings and armor.

Edited by Thumpy~

On 6/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Thumpy~ said:

Check out the ROTJ CRL.  Gives very detailed information about armor building and the different levels of accuracy you might wish to take it.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj

look at ROTJ WIP threads to visually see how others did theirs. 

looking at your forearm, you’ll have to cut some more, especially the return edges, until you can comfortably start bending your arms.

In the EIB and Centurion request threads, look for ROTJ candidates.  There should be good close-ups of the strappings and armor.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out those threads

2 hours ago, nucklejoe said:

Sweet! What glue works best for this? E600? or like hot glue?

It`s belived that steelmax was used but any glue that adheres to plastic and fabric would work so E6000, hot glue, CA glue etc would work great, just keep the heat variation in mind :)

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 PM, nucklejoe said:

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out those threads

also, here's a video tutorial TK1636.  It's ANH building, but some of the "how to" type stuff is transferrable to ROTJ building.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDunMes3e0wQn8_ns-ma4g

hope it helps.