FN1313's Jimmiroqaui FOTK Armor Build

Yeah I’ve fixed it up for now with the advice given as well. It’s going to need a little more touch up, but for now I’ve got it to a point that it’s protected and painted. I will later need to sand some more and fill with spot putty, but at least for now it’s not noticeable unless up close.

• Like 2

Got temp approval for a troop, so heres the first picture.

0QRMZji.jpg

the harness holding the thighs up tends to sag after time, so im going to adjust that a bit.

Edited by FN-1313
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So as I'm sure happens with all armor there is wear and fixing that will be needed. I'm going to continue detailing this in this build going forward. My hopes are to help others see that it is okay to have to fix armor up regularly, and to give some good detail on what and how. I'm holding off until I finish my scout kit, but it will probably happen soon.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, FN-1313 said:

So as I'm sure happens with all armor there is wear and fixing that will be needed. I'm going to continue detailing this in this build going forward. My hopes are to help others see that it is okay to have to fix armor up regularly, and to give some good detail on what and how. I'm holding off until I finish my scout kit, but it will probably happen soon.

Wear and tear and maintenance is a never ending task. Any suggestions for your fellow troopers goes a long way.

As I stated repairs are coming, here’s a gallery of some of the general wear and tear type repairs I will need to make

bOyg1oC.jpg

cracking up the back of the valve where I had to expand the armor. I will drill a hole to stop cracking, then fill with some Devcon plastic welder. On the inside I’m going to strengthen with fiberglass. Then smooth outside with bondo and repaint.

76D7vV0.jpg

looks worse than than it is, but that left side is just a ton of paint chipped off. There’s a hairline crack there that I’ve known about for a while, however with the winter and a lot of events demanding me I haven’t been able to dedicate time to it. So I’m doing the same as above here, drill hole to stop crack, fill with Devcon, on the underside I’m going to reinforce with flexible sintra plastic. Then bondo top and repaint.

the remaining repairs are just needing to have some repainting done. Due to rubbing against other things.

8vzhuYT.jpg

Fibreglass is definitely not as forgiving as the ABS but even with ABS the paint takes some abuse.

Not too many issues and I'm sure you'll get these knocked out in not time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Fibreglass is definitely not as forgiving as the ABS but even with ABS the paint takes some abuse.

Not too many issues and I'm sure you'll get these knocked out in not time.

That much is true. Yeah I need to have them done before Salt Lake FanX so I'd say in the next few weeks. Hoping Utah doesn't do it's normal It's Spring...that means the occasional unexpected blizzard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so I've only hit some main problem points so far. I'm actually taking some of my other parts to a con this Saturday so I can use them to show others how to repair/upkeep armor, but because I'm wearing it tomorrow here's what I've done.

First I fixed the cracking spots. I found in the shoulders on the yoke where the cracks ended and drilled a hole through the end so it would end the crack point and prevent it from spreading. I then ordered some Devcon plastic welder as I heard that this was a little more flexible than just resin or fiberglass. So I mixed the two part Devcon and then filled the hole and the crack on both ends and after smoothed it out so it wouldn't require too much sanding after.

I let it sit a day and then sanded it down. As you see in the above picture it still has a lot of chipped paint and problems. So I sanded to 400 grit and then applied some bondo filler over the areas that were rough. I let that sit a day and then sanded to 600 grit.

I didn't get a lot of pictures sadly as I was rushing to get this ready for the con tomorrow.

After sanding I was now able to spray again with paint I originally used, then the enamel clear coat to get it back to a good looking shiny white.

eQULjdO.jpg

Now it will cure overnight and be ready for tomorrow.

another thing you might note from this picture is I've cut out the front section of the yoke that's under the chest plate. Why? Because it wasn't allowing me to move effectively and it made getting the yoke on and off much more difficult. It's the reason so much strain went on the shoulders and led to the cracking continuously happening. Now I can actually get it on and off at an angle that doesn't stress the armor and helps me so much more.

I know a lot of vendors are building them like mine was built, but I'm going to say here that for guys like me that are more built in the shoulders, chest, and back, this is so much easier.

YZcn043.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:42 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Unless you pro paint it. After several troops mine looks like the day it came out of the paint shop ;)

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, ukswrath said:

Unless you pro paint it. After several troops mine looks like the day it came out of the paint shop ;)

I’d be more tempted to pro paint it, however I keep seeing there’s some stress areas that crack and fear that pro painting still won’t fix those spots which I hate.

I’m sure there will come a day where I retire this armor and then display it and replace it, but for now I will keep updating and fixing.

I’ve got things ready to go fix wise and adjustments too. Now just need to paint and prepare for IX.

4 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

I’d be more tempted to pro paint it, however I keep seeing there’s some stress areas that crack and fear that pro painting still won’t fix those spots which I hate.

I’m sure there will come a day where I retire this armor and then display it and replace it, but for now I will keep updating and fixing.

I’ve got things ready to go fix wise and adjustments too. Now just need to paint and prepare for IX.

Completely understand