Holnave (evan_loh)

Patrol Trooper Out in the Hong Kong Streets

Wow Evan thanks for posting.  That is amazing how quick these guys are doing this.  Anyway, hope all is well with you.

9 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

Wow Evan thanks for posting.  That is amazing how quick these guys are doing this.  Anyway, hope all is well with you.

Thanks to those visual dictionaries the armour makers are able to get a head start indeed!

I'm good. Hope things are good with you as well! It's been a while since I was last in here and so much has changed! It's both crazy and inspiring to see so many of the "newer" folks who are not so new anymore taking staff positions and still contributing to the FISD :)

On 5/31/2018 at 12:47 AM, Holnave (evan_loh) said:

Just wanted to share just how fast some people are in making the latest kits!

TK-11019 of Hong Kong Garrison.

33963214_1795392040517473_38294102958606

This is awesome - thanks!  Kudos to Asia for leading the way :)

9 hours ago, Holnave (evan_loh) said:

Thanks to those visual dictionaries the armour makers are able to get a head start indeed!

I'm good. Hope things are good with you as well! It's been a while since I was last in here and so much has changed! It's both crazy and inspiring to see so many of the "newer" folks who are not so new anymore taking staff positions and still contributing to the FISD :)

Emphasis = mine

Thanks Evan - this has always been a keystone of FISD's success.  If you look back at our history, many of the original staff had never ever been on any staff positions before in the Legion.  Many former FISD staff have moved on to other leadership roles Legion-wide: squad leaders, GCO's, DLs, LMOs, etc.

Part of having a healthy team is to continually refresh it with new members, else it's too easy to get caught in a rut, lose their creativity, or worse stifle innovation.  On the other hand, turning over staff too quickly can lead to chaos as there is no continuity and much time is lost as a new team goes through the forming -> storming phases before they even norm or perform.

Personally I'd like to see term limits for all CO roles in the Legion, e.g. no more than 2 consecutive terms requiring a minimum of a 2 year break.  This would people never get too entrenched in high level roles, but also allow a path for continuity for those who have support to run for multiple terms.

While I'm pretty happy with how FISD has grown in 12 years, it's also a point of pride that everyone on the command team is learning how to be a DL, and all but the newest staff now have the experience and skill to be a GCO, SL, or DL easily.  

• Like 2

On 5/31/2018 at 5:47 PM, Holnave (evan_loh) said:

Just wanted to share just how fast some people are in making the latest kits!

TK-11019 of Hong Kong Garrison.

33963214_1795392040517473_38294102958606

This just blows me away, the fact someone can get this together so quickly, without a CRL and have it looking so good from just a few simple images.

The time alone it takes to physically sculpt the helmet even in a 3D software format is huge, MIND BLOWN!!!

It always amazes me how quickly people can put together costumes for these films. Looks pretty good too (at least until better source images are out, for final accuracy).

No real surprises there, been watching a few prop makers since the first Patrol trooper picture came out, seems as soon as a new trooper is seen there's a prop maker ready to make it and a FB group formed, shame the forums don't see as much action.

Someone always has to be first so there can be a CRL as we have seen in the past, well that's if they want to take it to approval.

3D design is definitely making it's mark in the costuming community.

Wonder why Disney isn't screaming foul, lots of cheese they are missing out on ;) 

I think it's fantastic.  I'm old (in the Legion) enough to remember trooping in out of the box FX armor and thinking we looked *great*.  The first clone troopers were Glover armor and also where fantastic to see in person when they came out.   Us early ARC troopers were very popular.  Of course, as better references and better kit came out, those old suits look horrible now, but they were state of the art at the time.   

The fact that someone has something this good this early is pretty darn incredible and I'm thrilled to see it.