PhilBobTheFish

New Member From Virginia

Hi everyone! Been lurking on these threads for quite some time, but finally decided to start posting. I am looking to become a centurion level stormtrooper and hope to achieve this soon. Any comments or helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Rowan,

What part of VA are you from?  Have you signed up on the Garrison Tyranus forums yet?

Welcome to the FISD Rowan!

If you've been lurking for awhile I'm sure you came across the getting started section. Nice to see you're aiming for Centurion! Go big or go Home, right!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Hello and welcome aboard

33 minutes ago, NoVATie said:

Hi Rowan,

What part of VA are you from?  Have you signed up on the Garrison Tyranus forums yet?

I am from the Fredericksburg area. I haven't signed up yet but I plan too.

22 minutes ago, magni said:

Welcome to the FISD Rowan!

If you've been lurking for awhile I'm sure you came across the getting started section. Nice to see you're aiming for Centurion! Go big or go Home, right!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Yeah! I really want to reach Centurion and I have done a ton of research. but I am not certain on which armor I am going to get. Back to researching!

20 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome aboard

Thanks

Hello and Greetings Rowan! Thanks for stopping by to say hello. 

Here are some helpful links for your journey. Some of these may be familiar if you have been lurking for a little while ;)

I am happy to hear that you will be aiming for Centurion. It is easier than you might think ;) But still takes work. I advise that you check out the EIB/Centurion submissions to see the armor. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

Good Luck! And welcome to the FISD! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Hello and Greetings Rowan! Thanks for stopping by to say hello. 

Here are some helpful links for your journey. Some of these may be familiar if you have been lurking for a little while ;)

I am happy to hear that you will be aiming for Centurion. It is easier than you might think ;) But still takes work. I advise that you check out the EIB/Centurion submissions to see the armor. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

Good Luck! And welcome to the FISD! 

Thanks for the help! I've checked out some of these but there are a few that could use some viewing. I've also checked out some submissions, but a view dozen more couldn't hurt. Hehehe... :)

• Like 1

Hi Rowan and welcome to the FISD! We'll do what we can to help you achieve your goals! Good luck on your journey.

Hi Rowan and welcome to the FISD.  Looks like you are off to a good start.  Yeah, picking armor can be tough - all the vetted vendors have great kits so it really comes down to your body shape and budget... and how long you want to wait for your armor.    Anyway, keep reading and asking questions - we are here to help you out!

Hi and welcome! I have recently been centurion approved so just ask if you have any questions:-)

Best regards from Martin 

Welcome to the party Rowan, any questions feel free to ask. 

Stellar to have you with us mate! Welcome to the Detachment lines!!!

16 hours ago, PhilBobTheFish said:

What are your personal preferences for armor? 

I just want to hear the opinion of people who has been there and done that (more like still doing that).

Well, probably the most important quesiton to start with is your height/weight? Someone may really like one vendor but that vendor's product may not fit you.

Welcome. :salute:

Garrison Tyranus is a large garrison (over 250 active members), with over 80 of us in GT's Inferno Squad right here in northern Virginia. Like A.C. said, definitely sign up on the garrison forum and start coming out to events - it will give you the opportunity to look at different costumes (including different types/makers of stormtrooper) and talk with the owners in person. That, and we never have enough handlers for our events.

http://garrisontyranus.com/forum/index.php

Speaking of upcoming events, our next big local event is All Star Comic Con: https://www.theallstarcomiccon.com

If you are on Facebook you should also ask to join our local NOVA Region GT / Inferno Squad group where we focus on very localized events, not to mention just general Star Wars banter. It's a closed group so you need to be approved, but it's open to garrison members, other local-ish 501st members (such as Old Line Garrison in MD), local members of the other SW costume clubs (Rebel Legion and Mandalorian Mercs), and others in the local area that have a more than just a  passing interest in the garrison.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1014990031897377/

6 hours ago, lucnak said:

Well, probably the most important quesiton to start with is your height/weight? Someone may really like one vendor but that vendor's product may not fit you.

I just mean in terms of quality and accuracy to the films, thanks for the info though! :) 

Edited by PhilBobTheFish

5 hours ago, tkrestonva said:

Welcome. :salute:

Garrison Tyranus is a large garrison (over 250 active members), with over 80 of us in GT's Inferno Squad right here in northern Virginia. Like A.C. said, definitely sign up on the garrison forum and start coming out to events - it will give you the opportunity to look at different costumes (including different types/makers of stormtrooper) and talk with the owners in person. That, and we never have enough handlers for our events.

http://garrisontyranus.com/forum/index.php

Speaking of upcoming events, our next big local event is All Star Comic Con: https://www.theallstarcomiccon.com

If you are on Facebook you should also ask to join our local NOVA Region GT / Inferno Squad group where we focus on very localized events, not to mention just general Star Wars banter. It's a closed group so you need to be approved, but it's open to garrison members, other local-ish 501st members (such as Old Line Garrison in MD), local members of the other SW costume clubs (Rebel Legion and Mandalorian Mercs), and others in the local area that have a more than just a  passing interest in the garrison.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1014990031897377/

Just checked out that convention and I really hope I can make it (I saw Brian Muir was gonna be there). I assume that the 501st would be there the second day for the Star Wars presentation, is that correct?

Hey Rowan! Soon, we'll be Garrison mates I'm sure!

Like others have said, armor is a really personal thing and is highly dependent on body type. With that said, I personally found myself gravitating toward MTK armor for my body type (5'11" 180lbs). It's not on the vetted makers list, but still very much approvable and Centurion worthy as seen by those who have reached Centurion in their MTK suit. I use an RS Propmasters helmet, as it is made directly from molds of the original armor and I personally just liked the look of it. If you haven't already, study the vetted makers list and search the forums for build threads and Centurion applications from each of the makers listed there. It will give you a good idea of what body types look good in each suit and what sort of look you will get once the armor is actually built.

2 minutes ago, DEVOLVER said:

Hey Rowan! Soon, we'll be Garrison mates I'm sure!

Like others have said, armor is a really personal thing and is highly dependent on body type. With that said, I personally found myself gravitating toward MTK armor for my body type (5'11" 180lbs). It's not on the vetted makers list, but still very much approvable and Centurion worthy as seen by those who have reached Centurion in their MTK suit. I use an RS Propmasters helmet, as it is made directly from molds of the original armor and I personally just liked the look of it. If you haven't already, study the vetted makers list and search the forums for build threads and Centurion applications from each of the makers listed there. It will give you a good idea of what body types look good in each suit and what sort of look you will get once the armor is actually built.

Can do! Thanks! :D 

Since I have done *cough* a bit of research on armor, I was wondering about the other things that make up a stormtrooper. 

1. For the undersuit, would you recommend a one piece or two piece suit? Also, what material should i look for in an undersuit?

2. Where should I buy a blaster (E-11) from and what should it be made of? (I get that this isn't technically needed, but what is a stormtrooper without a blaster?)

3. What type of gloves are recommended? I am going to get chemical gloves, but that it far in the future, so what type looks good and is comfortable?

4. Where is a good place to buy boots from?

5. Where should I buy a holster and neckseal?

6. What is a good place to buy latex hand-guards?

7. Anything else I forgot about or you all would recommend.

(I get that there are threads about this stuff and I looked at some before, but I just want conformation just to be absolutely sure before I buy stuff because I am paranoid) :D 

Welcome!  Look at the EIB and Centurion application threads.  There are pictures of many of the items you have questions about and they list the maker/manufacturer names and sources.

also look at threads about soft parts and accessories.

have fun in your research and build!