501st Charity Death March

18 km death march challenge in full armor to raise funds to fight cancer!3d6aa65bf3b695f0cebb1cac9f2a0605.jpg

8582ebd59c9f1d76329281ca40eb55c5.jpg

3b8e041cbc96b61c6b78c7ba7bfc5c7d.jpg

20829907c1748bc934b9388d03dd02a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Death March 2018 Account

- TX-50991

Warning: lengthy post ahead...

There's a reason we called it the "Death March". As the name implies, you can say that yes indeed, anything can happen. I took the preparation phase so seriously that I have gotten to the point of hiding a final "note" underneath my chest armor in case the worst should come about. Glad no one had to open it by the end of the day. Yes, that's how far I've conditioned myself for this ordeal. Too much drama? Well, that's up for you to decide.

Donning a hefty 55-pound, pitch black armor under the scorching heat of the summer sun, with minimal ventilation and vision, in an 18km nonstop march from SM Consolacion to SM Seaside is no joke. I have to admit though that I wasn't able to walk the entire stretch. At first, I was pretty confident I could make it. But this expedition was truly a very humbling experience. Around only half-way through, I was already at my limits. But then I thought, "If I stopped now, what good am I when the others are still pushing forward?". My pride kept me going. I was stubborn. I was arrogant. I continued to advance very very slowly, like in a dream where your mind wants to make you move yet your body's motor function isn't cooperating, and it feels like something is dragging you back. Until I finally decided, "Okay, at least set foot on SM City (which is our only pitstop point, about two-thirds the total distance), then let's call it off". From there I partially suited out and rode a support vehicle. But then my pride still kept bugging me, "I have to suit up again and continue this march!". So I decided to gear up at Plaza Independencia area (about 3.5km to finish line). But our Squad Leader ordered me not to, as according to him, I was already showing signs of mild insanity and delusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Again, I had to stand down and listen to my superior's advice. Nevertheless, he finally gave me the go signal to suit up again when we were about a few hundred meters to finish line, just to at least get the fulfillment of finishing the march.

Kudos to all the Troopers and support teams, Cebu and Manila alike, and to all those that have donated for this cause! Congratulations to everyone for making it, especially those who were able to march nonstop. Salute to you! Big big big thanks to the handlers who stood by my side during my weakest point, you know who you guys are. To more troopings ...for the Empire!

82cae7d1937075eea2574748b4853c3f.jpg

• Like 1

884ad2f782590828affeb519a2b45cda.jpg

Tk-35679 only made the 15 km mark.... only one of us 4 made it to the finish line.

• Like 1

Our event happened in Cebu and the other in Bonifacio Global Circle in Makati, Manila

Kudos to fellow troopers there who made it to their 18 km mark!

f511c1bae99d574c6543ba2090adc690.jpg

84c3ff814da85d72c7d5f1694bce01c3.jpg

our finish line at SM seaside Cebu

12ce58fba8967a9a99308c402bbb53c2.jpg

9a31e932ea7cb23de79080e43bdd605d.jpg

• Like 1

aafaa98310bf472878bdbc9ab874dcaa.jpg

Tk-82178 the 18 km march finisher! The last trooper marching!

• Like 1

Outstanding! Such stamina and determination for a good cause - in surviving these challenging elements, you've earned an upgrade to sandtrooper

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

We are all going to become a sandtrooper eventually..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Such endurance! :salute:almost mind-boggling!  

I recall visiting the Philippines in 1978.  My family (mother’s side) lived in Manila.  The heat/humidity was unbearable.  Loved riding in those “jipneys”.

great job again, and very glad no one got hurt!

troop on!

• Like 1

Mate outstanding effort - I'm based in Japan so fully understand the conditions you did this in and Death March certainly does it justice.

I did the Running Stormtrooper 5 mile (8km) challenge and ran it in full armour and it took me three days to recover from that - So huge Kudos to you for even attempting this!

• Like 1