MFJ ANH Stunt build AP Kit

MFJ

5 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

The rivets need to be present and in good position (able to be seen from the outside and all according to the CRL), but on the inside, you can do what you want. Personally, I've seen different people do different things that worked for them without much problems, so I guess find something that works for you and you should be fine...

You can also look at many of the great build threads that exist around here as well - that might help you define what you want or give you some great ideas! :)

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

Yeah they'll be there but I've seen so many different ways to attach it. I have an idea of how I want to do it. I guess that's the fun part though. I want it to stay tight and together there ( I believe I read there could be 1/2" gap on each side but I'd like to keep it clean looking. 

• Like 1

Yeah they'll be there but I've seen so many different ways to attach it. I have an idea of how I want to do it. I guess that's the fun part though. I want it to stay tight and together there ( I believe I read there could be 1/2" gap on each side but I'd like to keep it clean looking. 
That sounds good; the less gap there is the better ! :D

3 hours ago, MFJ said:

I want it to stay tight and together there ( I believe I read there could be 1/2" gap on each side but I'd like to keep it clean looking. 

That`s for EIB and for Centurion the CRL states: Ideally there`s no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor. So keeping it tight as you say is the way to go:duim:

Getting ready to attach the left body together. I'm still waiting to pull the clamps off the Sniper plate. It's like wanting to pick at a scab so I just put it in the closet so I couldn't see it. I don't have a brass rivet for the cod plate. So I have to go find one. I have plenty of split rivets just none that are brass. I still need to order a belt and holster. I had to get a measurement with the armor on first. 

Ok. This attachment method is a PITA. I'm just saying. Why couldn't they have phillips heads back i the 70's

IMG_20180611_234355204.jpg
IMG_20180611_234402462.jpg
IMG_20180612_010524581.jpg
IMG_20180612_010530379.jpg
IMG_20180612_010535461_LL.jpg
IMG_20180612_010647660.jpg
IMG_20180612_010737665_LL.jpg

so I wanted to make sure my measurements that I took were correct and everything lined up in the back and sides with no gap at all. So now I can attach the front and back. It's actually comfortable to wear too. Test fit of the forearms, biceps and shoulder bells is pretty good too. I'll be attaching them like a sleeve. next is snaps. Not looking forward to snaps. I had to do some heating and shaping on the back plate to get it straight and remove a small gap in the middle but that wasn't that bad. 

I don't like my shoulder bells not fitting around the bicep fully. You can see the black elastic pretty good from the bell on the bicep. I tried heating and reshaping it helped a little but it's still not how I want it. I might take an 1/8" off the front of the forearm for more room for my hand to go through.  Btw. Thanks guys for your builds.

IMG_20180615_014919330_LL.jpg
IMG_20180615_014956657_LL.jpg
IMG_20180615_015008852_LL.jpg
IMG_20180615_015721302_LL.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MFJ said:

I don't like my shoulder bells not fitting around the bicep fully.

You could always remove more of the return edge at the bottom of the bell and that should help atleast a bit:)

Fit looks great:duim: and a heads-up just in case....using the undersuit during fitting is highly recommended as when wearing one the fit is different, especially for the limbs.

• Like 1

Great job, especially on the back pieces - no gap is what looks the best! :)

For the snaps, it can be hard at the start - it took me a little while before I got it right and easily every time. But along the way, I realized that the tools you use can make hige a difference (at least for me) - some go so much better than others.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the nice words. Doing this one should make my Shadow Trooper a lot easier. The back piece had a huge gap right in the middle. I'm going to work a little more on the shaping before I attach the plastic shoulder straps. I bought a nice set of snap setter tools. But So far on two test snaps neither of them work now. lol They are frustration to take frustration out on! OH, Wait, Maybe that's why they don't work

Yeah, I left the return edge on the inside of the bell, I thought it was required. But I can sure enough remove it. I'm going to try heating it some more too and reshaping. It doesn't look bad it's just not as clean looking as it could be. I destroyed my right shin removing the cover strip so now I have to fix it. I think I can though. If not I'll have to order one from Mark if he has one. 

What tools do you actually have for setting your snaps?

And what happened to your shin? Post a picture if you're having trouble repairing it - I'm sure someone will be able to help you! ^^

1 hour ago, MFJ said:

Yeah, I left the return edge on the inside of the bell, I thought it was required. But I can sure enough remove it.

It’s not required but don’t remove all of it, maybe around half of what you got now, leaving some has, in my opinion, a better look to it:)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hollowbodies said:

What tools do you actually have for setting your snaps?

And what happened to your shin? Post a picture if you're having trouble repairing it - I'm sure someone will be able to help you! ^^

I bought a snap set from Jo Ann's. It's really nice, came with instructions. I'm just used to man tools I guess. My right shin was put together by a friend of mine that was "helping" me. I cut the 7/8" strip which left a 3/4" strip left. Well, he used the 3/4" strip and used zap a gap and zip kicker. Then he reinforced the inside like I was doing to the shins , also with zap a gap and zip kicker. I had to remove it and it did a lot of damage to the shin. I believe I can fix it. I just have to use some creative thinking. 

Ooh I see... zap-a-gap and zip kicker is way harder to remove than E-6000! :o Are you usually using E-6000 for the rest of your armor? If not, you could always be safer using it if you want! ^^

for the biceps they are actualy bigger then the movie original, the proper way if they fit your biceps is to actually remove the raised edges on both sides then glue strips which will make them smaller this way the shoulder bells will sit better, if you look at the movie original the biceps have the same circumference as the forearms.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

5 hours ago, ABS80 said:

for the biceps they are actualy bigger then the movie original, the proper way if they fit your biceps is to actually remove the raised edges on both sides then glue strips which will make them smaller this way the shoulder bells will sit better, if you look at he movie original the biceps have the same circumference as the forearms as mine are made bigger to fit most.

Mark (AP)

Thank god for that because this 225lb old man woulda never fit in one :laugh1:

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the no progress pictures. I had a slight medical condition that required two brain surgeries but I did manage to fix the shin that I messed up and everything is ready for me to do the snaps and it'll be done. I missed seeing everyone's builds.

• Like 2

I know what medical problems are like, feel your pain, hope all is going well now. 

No rush with the build, get to it when you can, you may have missed a few others builds but there’s always members ready comment and lend a hand if needed.

Hope to see some photos soon.

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, MFJ said:

Reviving this build. As I left off I was to the rivets and snaps. Ok. I can't get a rivet or snaps to work. I can build a car from the ground up but can't install a snap if my life depended on it. Suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated