The end of the Photobucket-Apocalypse?

themaninthesuitcase

Just saw this from clicking through on what I didn't realise was a photobucket image:
https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254-Welcome-to-the-New-Photobucket-

Seems they have new management with a more realistic plan in place.  Hopefully this is a good thing but they've lost a lot of trust now.

• Like 2

Think they lost A LOT of people with their last decision, don't think this is going to get them back ;) 

Yeah, this sounds like a last-ditch effort.

Even though the images are all “fixed” on the forums, I strongly encourage everyone to make your backups now... they make not be around much longer as and I and Danny learned fixing a lot of the threads on FISD, it is MUCH harder to do so without access.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

At least they are letting people download what is rightfully theirs. That is just about the only thing they can do to get people to even take a second look at photo bucket. 

Definitely a last ditch effort. They should not have done people thd way they did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tydirium1 said:

At least they are letting people download what is rightfully theirs.

Actually people have had the ability to download their photos from when they first started charging and blocking 3rd party hosting ;) 

It's simple; if you host an image or anything on the internet and you don't own the web space, it's no longer in your control and it can be gone tomorrow.  Photobucket has always been garbage tier service, but I'm kind of glad it showed so many folks that this kind of thing can happen.  If you value information on the internet and don't want it gone tomorrow, host it yourself and save a copy locally!!!

• Like 1

Hopeful or not, this is a service I will not be returning to. I agree with Sarah on this one! There are plenty of different and more reliable services out there that can be used.

My List: 

Imgur

Facebook

Google-create your own folders on "Google Drive."

Flickr

Dropbox

TinyPic

• Like 1

I usually use imgur if something needs to be used by persistence isn't a big deal, it works pretty well so far.

Now what I'd love to see, is FISD itself (or all the detachments) host image attachments.  Currently there's a 0.83MB max limit per user or something tiny like that... maybe we could get that bumped up a little?  Disk space can become a problem, but we could always attach an IPS script that resizes/jpegifies stuff down.  It's what we did over on the CTG website.  Obviously our traffic is nowhere near comparable to here though...

I usually use imgur if something needs to be used by persistence isn't a big deal, it works pretty well so far.

Now what I'd love to see, is FISD itself (or all the detachments) host image attachments.  Currently there's a 0.83MB max limit per user or something tiny like that... maybe we could get that bumped up a little?  Disk space can become a problem, but we could always attach an IPS script that resizes/jpegifies stuff down.  It's what we did over on the CTG website.  Obviously our traffic is nowhere near comparable to here though...

Having enough disk space for the amount of images we post would cost a small fortune.

• 1 year later...

Did photobucket change their policies again?  I'm seeing a lot of image unavailable messages. 

What's worse is when some have included a link directly to the the photobucket image it briefly goes to photobucket then redirects to so luckysomething.xyz site.

2 hours ago, Dielotski said:

Did photobucket change their policies again?  I'm seeing a lot of image unavailable messages. 

What's worse is when some have included a link directly to the the photobucket image it briefly goes to photobucket then redirects to so luckysomething.xyz site.

Do you have a adblocker? The redirect could be a malicious ad injecting a redirect.

The missing images are a (hopefully temporary) Error at Photobucket. They had some porgs gnawing on their datacenter power

18 minutes ago, masterx244 said:

Do you have a adblocker? The redirect could be a malicious ad injecting a redirect.

The missing images are a (hopefully temporary) Error at Photobucket. They had some porgs gnawing on their datacenter power

I haven't added any extensions and it's only happened with photobucket.  Maybe it's the porgs again.