Ironmonk's ANH TK Stunt Build - AP

Ironmonk

7 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Looking nice Darrell, great job on the free hand paint work :jc_doublethumbup:

Note: remove ALL the return edge on the vertical ab button plate. 

Edit: 4 button plate to be exact

Thank you very much! I've had fun painting this thing.

I will definitely sand more off the edges of the smaller plate. Thanks!

Hahahahahahaha! Finished my helmet and it's the coolest thing ever! My wife took a pic...

C2cnIPi.jpg

What you don't see is the big, dumb grin on my face. I still need to install padding and do something more permanent than masking tape for the lease and mesh, but I'm loving it.

I also sanded that smaller ab plate:

Enic2P5.jpg

Tony, does this look acceptable?

Next I'm going to start assembling the torso. Seems logical to me, for the sake of fit, to build that first and add the limbs from there. I feel like I'm making progress and, in case anyone missed it, I'm having more fun than....well, a really fun thing.

• Like 3

That's the way to go mate, good job! So fun isn't it once you're started! :D The ab buttons lool good... Did you check them where they're supposed to go on the ab to see how they fit?

Keep up the good work! :)

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Today I have some questions. I've been working on the torso. My AP kit included hardware for the torso - split rivets, snaps, washers. I have 8 longer split rivets and 1 shorter one.

AniZR3v.jpg

My question is about where I use the shorter one. I'm guessing it is for the cod on the front ab piece.

sAw7o3w.jpg

I've read/seen where this split rivet is supposed to be "brass". Does that mean yellow brass? The shorter one in the pic is more nickel colored. I know I don't paint this rivet white like the others, but is the color correct?

I'm assuming 6 of the longer split rivets are for the connection on the left side between ab and kidney. However, I only have 3 washers. Should I have 3 for each side? If I only need 3, I'm wondering which side I use those on. Or maybe the washers aren't for the ab/kidney connection? 

I'm also wondering where I use the two "extra" split rivets. Are those for the belt maybe?

I also test fit the ab plates and am wondering if I've trimmed them small enough. Especially wondering about the smaller plate.

Ml8w2hR.jpg

tanNwAt.jpg

I'm thinking the smaller one needs to be, ummm, smaller, but before I trim it further I want to check in with you all.

Finally, I'd like to extol the virtues of this tool I received as part of the lexan scissors kit I bought.

wRuAr3Q.jpg

It worked really well for putting neat holes in my armor. I was concerned about the possibility of a drill bit "walking" across the surface, but this tool is like an awl with a cutting blade. A few turns and it makes a good, clean hole. I had to be careful not to make the holes too big, but it worked like a charm.

That's it for today. Happy Independence Day to those celebrating in the United States!

The two extra rivets are for the knee ammo pack. I would also assume the short one is for the cod rivet. Not sure why you only have three washers...Ideally, you should get some more and use them for anywhere the rivets are functional. Lastly, here's a reference pic for the small ab button plate. I believe it should be trimmed a bit more.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been posting but work has continued...

I fitted, glued, and rough sanded/shaped the biceps and the forearms.

0RBDpY2.jpg

ymstk3A.jpg

onNBC6M.jpg

egmzi61.jpg

I still have to do some fine tuning with a dremel and sandpaper. I also need to finish cleaning up the squeeze out from the E6000. I'm pleased with how they've turned out so far. I was able to use 15mm strips and everything fits fine. I guess I am "standard Stormtrooper size". : )

Today I trimmed and sized my thighs.

Y86pYr8.jpg

2yLUs0h.jpg

After having done the arms, these went together fairly easily. I feel like I'm getting the hang of the process. I will glue with 20mm strips.

My plan at this point is to finish all the appendages and then start strapping everything together. I think I'm still on target to be finished by Halloween (October 31). I may not be Centurion approved by then, but will hopefully have a usable costume by then.

As always comments, critique, and suggestions are welcome.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, folks!

Time tending to always be my limiting factor, my build thread took a back seat to just building. I apologize for not documenting the rest of the build, but it is "finished". You can see my pre approval photos here:

Thank you to all of you who chimed in on questions and gave helpful advice in your own build threads. This was a tough project but well worth the time and effort I've put into it. I'm excited to be at this point and looking forward to moving towards EIB and Centurion eventually. I'm truly grateful to this community and for the confidence you gave me to pursue this dream.

If you don't mind, go to the pre approval thread and let me know what you think. Thanks!

• Like 3