Freduster's ANH Stunt TK build (RS Props, aiming for Centurion)

Freduster

On 6/10/2018 at 9:51 PM, Freduster said:

And last, some (hopefully) better news :) I started to put together the arms! First fitting picture here:

DyQCwI9.jpgAc

Actually this could help out already. This is the picture I took last week, and so far nothing has changed. So this is the current state :)

Edited by Freduster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Freduster said:

current state

Lengthwise is  good to go:duim: do you have a lot of room in the biceps? Keeping them slim helps mobility of the arms (and ads to that nice screen-look)  but not to slim though, just have to find the sweet-spot were they still can slide up and down on the arm....so...always make final measurements with the undersuit on:)

• Like 2

It will be better when we get a picture of your whole arm straight, but from this picture I think you could easily wear your bicep piece higher... And your forearm should follow, too. As long as you can still bend your elbow! I'd try that first. default_smile.png

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

I’d agree with the others. A picture with your arms by your sides will help to judge it. I’d wait until you have your strapping don’t so that you can wear your arms along with your torso.

If required, looks like you’ll have room to shift the biceps up a little and possibly reduce the width of he biceps too. Should be a lot clearer once you get to that stage with the torso all strapped up. :-)

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll get the inner strapping done first. Today the plan is to glue the biceps and forearms, so one question concerning the cover strips; I've seen in some builds that people round the corners, and some others keep the edges. How did you guys do it? And concerning the width: 15mm for all the arm parts, right? :D

Yeah, canon width for the arms cover strips is 15mm. However, if you need to go a few milimeters wider for some reason (for example, if your hand can't fit through your forearm at 15mm), that's not a problem at all. So you can go a bit more than 15mm if you need - just keep it uniform throughout the armor.

And for the cover strips corners, most armors used in the movie had theor corners lightly rounded. That's how I did mine. :)

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Finally a visual update this time, and no new questions so far :P

I went over the helmet again to fit the lens more properly and also to correct the way I painted the vocoder, thanks to @justjoseph63 for pointing that out again!

ks507iv.jpg

And also yesterday I cut all the cover strips which was quite a tough work. It might have just been my lack of appropriate tools, but I ended up marking the widths of the strips and then went over the ABS, first with a needle, then with a razor knife. This worked pretty well but I still slipped a couple of times. Well whatever - just gotta use the other side of the strip for the front then :P

This was before :

h2BxvPG.jpg

And this is after:

u4s6WtM.jpg

And also, yesterday the first cover strip was glued:

MKYnuL9.jpg

Just a small step for the armor, but a big step for me :D

Next update will probably follow on Friday or Saturday, don't go anywhere :)

Freddy

• Like 2

And the next update was late again, I am a bad German :(

anyway, finished my belt today:

gT2aj9H.jpg

All it needs now is some time for the glue to dry, but then the good thing is finished :)

I also carried on glueing the cover strips onto the appropriate places. New update maybe tomorrow :)

Cheers, Freddy

• Like 1

Hey guys, I've got a problem concerning my sniper knee.. the ridge that it has does not align with the ridge on the upper shins at all. How did you guys (especially the ones with an RS kit) solve that issue?

Hey guys, I've got a problem concerning my sniper knee.. the ridge that it has does not align with the ridge on the upper shins at all. How did you guys (especially the ones with an RS kit) solve that issue?
The sniper plate is a bit flexible so you can bend it a bit to get it to align. Probably won't be able to make it align exactly but it should be close.

See my RS kit in the photos. The trick is to make it look aligned without trying to fit it directly against the shin. Ome of it will touch, some will not. The bottom part of the sniper plate will likely not sit flat against the shin, okay.

I think I glued and clamped one side at a time.16ebf9b795972375bb7cd98b586d9009.jpg3c30e5b4b19605041ee477e9578276d1.jpg090762f5843acb4e0ae9e93c186c126c.jpg0b183b7cc1d30c086568185d0f3a374e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good progress so far, @Freduster ! I'm also building an RS kit. I'm jealous that you got your ab buttons pre-painted. Mine came blank! Keep up the good work. I'm going to have to shape my shins in a hot water bath as well. 

Hey guys, gonna post some progress later today hopefully, but for now I have another question: is a male snap just the bottom of a snap button? Looks like one to me from the reference pics, but I wanted to double-check with the experts :P and if it is, is it being silver the only requirement for centurions (talking about the two snaps that go on the butt piece and the one on the torso). Cheers in advance, Freddy 

5 hours ago, Freduster said:

Hey guys, gonna post some progress later today hopefully, but for now I have another question: is a male snap just the bottom of a snap button? Looks like one to me from the reference pics, but I wanted to double-check with the experts :P and if it is, is it being silver the only requirement for centurions (talking about the two snaps that go on the butt piece and the one on the torso). Cheers in advance, Freddy 

Un painted male snap post on the exterior of the armor is correct. There's is no color requirement at any level though silver or nickle is most common. 

Level two certification (if applicable):

• Two male snaps are present on the lower center tab of the Posterior Armor.
    • Snaps do not need to be functional.

Alright guys, I feel like it's time for another massive post today. Since my lectures stopped two weeks ago I had tons of time to work on my armor, and with Power of the Force Con in Oberhausen, Germany around the corner (the event where I talked to a couple of 501st members and decided I was going to get an armor) I spent every free minute working on the armor. Sadly I failed to capture everything with my phone (in fact, what follows is a very small number of random shots I took in between), but anyway, here is what I got up to, sometimes supported by pictures:

Carried on glueing all the appropriate parts together which usually made my basement look like this:

GGbfgUR.jpg

Q7Dq3Qc.jpg

Went on to the strapping:

OdTnAYA.jpg

gkJHJ6V.jpg

7iPEYcq.jpg

Which also made my living-room look like this:

lRIxdBj.jpg

However, it turned out pretty nicely so far, so I tried to take some pictures with the parts of the armor that held together already:

gAGkmve.jpg

ExCKpC3.jpg

Ah0v5az.jpg

Finally, I would like to apologize to everyone who is reading this build trying to find some helpful hints because I really didn't take enough pictures with enough details :(

However, I would like to point out three builds that were really helpful for me when I built this RS kit:

1. Build by @AsBlondeAsLuke which was an RS kit (like mine) and is also great fun to read,

2. Build by @ukswrath which is incredibly detailed and very easy to follow,

3. Build by @CableGuy which pretty much uses the same strapping system as mine and also offered a couple of interesting hints for building.

Right now, I am waiting for a couple of other things to dry, then I will carry on glueing the thighs, and then all that's left is a couple of straps and the ammo belt. So stay tuned ;)

Cheers,

Freddy

P.S.: If you notice something I should change (hopefully it's not too late), hit me up! :)

• Like 3

Hey guys! Next update, and we're getting closer to the finish line! :)

I glued the final parts (the thighs) together and so I slowly have everything prepped up.

i3NSnIj.jpg

6iOQiVL.jpg

XS8bmmW.jpg

However I have had some struggles with fitting the ammo belt on my RS thigh, so I ended up with the ammo belt rivets at the bottom corners of the belt rather than the top corners :(

IUpbFqT.jpg

96o2fRT.jpg

fcdJYux.jpg

Even though it is stated in the EIB requirements that they should be in the top corners, do you guys reckon I could still make it there or to Centurion? I mean I have no idea what else I could have done differently because as you can see in the last picture there was pretty much no other chance for me to put the belt rivets that "high"..

Carried on with the first full dress run; looks a bit stupid because at that time the thighs were still loose, but oh well..

BmhQGcB.jpg

Hey Freddy, the thigh ammo pack rivets are to be at the top corners. Most GMLs today will most undoubtedly notice and ask you to correct the issue before approving you for 501st basic. 

Whoops, update shouldn't have ended here:

ZQT3Fkg.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the butt plate is spread out quite far - I've tried to tackle this issue by using two extra strapping strips, but apparently this wasn't enough :( any ideas?

Also, when I walk around in the armor there's a lot of plastic clicking sounds which is quite annoying. Did anyone have the same issues, or does that just go away eventually by itself?

Third, as you can see in the front dress run pic some of the colour on the boots has already worn off because the shins keep going up and down when I walk. Would strapping the shins to the boot loops solve that?

As always, when you notice something, hit me up, and despite all these minor problems, I'm getting more and more hyped up for the day when I can finally submit my application in a good conscience! :)

Cheers,

Freddy

Hi Freddy,

Overall, that’s really coming on nicely! Nicely fitted to you.

I would just throw in a couple of things. Personally, I would want to reduce the size of both ab plate buttons, straighten the helmet brow and replace or amend the thigh ammo pack.

b2226c1c00ef843e8e8b81bd63499056.jpg

The big plate is “okay”, but could be smaller as per screen used. The smaller one, to me, is definitely too big.

The brow is an easy fix. How high the brow goes is personal preference, however, getting it straight will look nicer for trooping.

The thigh ammo pack looks like it is trimmed too much. The curvature radius looks too big.

Here’s a great ref;

fef12f1de65d3528e42b4d35a1258b8c.jpg

Personally, I’d probably consider either filling the holes with ABS paste and trying again or sourcing another ammo pack and starting again. With such a good job in your blaster and the rest of the armour, this will stand out (and possibly not clear) as it is.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Best wishes

Dan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freduster said:

I've tried to tackle this issue by using two extra strapping strips, but apparently this wasn't enough :( any ideas?

Butt flare is a common ”Trooper-issue” and yours isn’t that bad but if you like you could try moving the snaps closer to the edges, use kidney plate to determine placement and/or a hot water-bath to shape it more inwards and you won’t be sneeking up on any rebels I’m afraid - noise is to be expected but hey.. we only do full-out assaults anyway:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1