Freduster's ANH Stunt TK build (RS Props, aiming for Centurion)

Freduster

New question: is the bicep piece worn with the thumb print to the inside or to the front? I'm asking because I don't want to trim away the wrong return edges :(

1 hour ago, Freduster said:

New question: is the bicep piece worn with the thumb print to the inside or to the front? I'm asking because I don't want to trim away the wrong return edges :(

Sorry for asking, but what do you mean exactly by "thumb print"? Are you talking about that 

RvBUcMe.png

If that's what you mean, it goes on the inside. The front has a cover strip that joins the two halves of the bicep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freduster said:

Hi Freddy,

The thumb print would be inside of the arm. The coverstrips would be front and back of the arm.

Thumb print is usually on the left arm.

Dan :-)

• Like 1

If you are indeed referring to the pic that David provided than the answer is yes. It is worn on the inside. Thumb print won't be seen unless you wave and flail your arms like a crazy wampa

• Like 1

Well I'm not planning to do that at any time, but thanks for the warning ;) and cheers for the advice, I'll consider this information when trimming and fitting the arms!

And another question! :)

I did some work on the shins today, and I found a problem. I trimmed the back of the shins so far that they fit together which left me with a quite uneven return edge at the back. According to other builds this is normal for RS kits, so I'm not too worried about that. My question is about the exact length of the shins. I guess the knee should be visible completely, otherwise the sniper plate won't fit, but how long should the shin be? Does it have to cover the ankles? I'm struggling with fitting the shins over the boots as well :( on the other hand I'm scared that I'll trim away too much of the bottom shin. Help appreciated :D

And a little addition: do you guys have pictures of your own shin parts? I would especially be interested in the shape at the bottom and the back in general.

Hi mate.

Here’s a good red picshowing the shins. Nicely sitting over the top of the boots.

68570098ace86bac8959cacda79f8226.png

I won’t post pics of mine here as they’re not RS and I know RS shins are a little interesting as it’s two of the same shin. As they’re RS though (closest you’ll get to screen used), I would try to keep them at the length they came as, if you can. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what my RS shins looked like before reshaping them in a hot water bath.

29609080135_a931c7e9bd_c.jpg

And after shaping them in the hot water bath so the back tops and vertical seams meet up nicely.

29528298291_8f5cbf614f_c.jpg

I ended up overtrimming my shins a bit- a total mistake- because I sized them before actually trying them on with the torso and thighs on.  Don't be like me!  Make sure your torso is properly fitted and strapped together before getting your legs trimmed to size.  Wear your torso and thighs when sizing your shins for length.  It's easy to misjudge shin sizing if you trim based on wearing them over the boots alone.  Just a suggestion, of course.  ;)

Here's a shot of the back of my RS shins from my EIB application.  They're a little shorter than I'd prefer, but they don't look all that bad.

42834293331_de528a2f5d_o.jpg

7 hours ago, CableGuy said:

RS shins are a little interesting as it’s two of the same shin.

I thought so too but recently learned that they in fact are identical for both legs, consisting of outer right and outer left.

7 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I would try to keep them at the length they came as, if you can. :-)

I´m with Dan on this one so what`s your hight?:)

9 hours ago, Freduster said:

I guess the knee should be visible completely

Not a must, center of joint is a good reference point, mobility will never be great so as long as you can walk and barely manage stairs your good:duim: I would also suggest that you don`t cut the backs of shins or thighs unless really necessary...or of course you want to:smiley-sw013: In my opinion it looks much better if you don`t although they did in the Movie on some of the Stunt troopers BUT they didn`t for the Hero-suits witch was all about the look and again - just my opinion, you do as you like as it is your kit:salute:

ScreenShot72515.jpg
ScreenShot72751.jpg

And another question :P I'm thinking about spraying a layer of clear coating onto the helmet to protect the paint. Has anyone done this before or does anyone have experience with this? 

And another question I'm thinking about spraying a layer of clear coating onto the helmet to protect the paint. Has anyone done this before or does anyone have experience with this? 

Hi Freddy,
I’ve got two lids and neither have hah any paint issues. My trooping helmet has done many hours now and no issues to speak of.
I think you’ll only really get a problem from a specific hit or drop - day to day use you should be A-Okay without a top coat. :-)
  • Like 1

Yea, you should be okay without it. Like Dan said, the paint holds up pretty well to the helmet if you don't hit it everywhere. I had someone hit the side of my helmet by mistake recently, just where are the tube stripes. I thought it would have messed them up a little bit, but it didn't. It shows no sign of wear and they are all just fine. So it's mostly going to remain in great condition without a layer of coating if you are just a bit careful with your helmet. 

Plus, if anything ever happens to the paint, you can always do one more coat to correct - in the worst case! ^^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freduster said:

And another question :P I'm thinking about spraying a layer of clear coating onto the helmet to protect the paint. Has anyone done this before or does anyone have experience with this? 

I’ll just eco my fellow Troopers - nope, no need:duim:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freduster said:

Echoing the above then adding to it, it never hurts to polish your armor using some type of plastic UV protectant, this will help prevent yellowing. I personally like to use the 3M headlight restoration kit, $11 on Amazon. Besides coming with sanding pads for deep scratch removal it comes with a buffing wheel making polishing the armor a breeze. Most importantly the UV polish supplied is simply one of the best on the market.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Echoing the above then adding to it, it never hurts to polish your armor using some type of plastic UV protectant, this will help prevent yellowing. I personally like to use the 3M headlight restoration kit, $11 on Amazon. Besides coming with sanding pads for deep scratch removal it comes with a buffing wheel making polishing the armor a breeze. Most importantly the UV polish supplied is simply one of the best on the market.  

Great tip!! Added to Amazon basket/cart. :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Thought I should share an update here today: helmet paint will be finished tomorrow, and I have decided to move away from the original bracket strapping and do a button strapping instead which seems to be quite popular with essentially every legion member I have ever talked to, so yeah.. onto some more trimming and glueing, and then I can finally go into strapping more which will be the final step on my way to becoming a trooper :D

• Like 3

Question time once again: I know that the RS shin armor is the same for left and right, but what about the thigh armor? They don't look the same, but I can't really tell which one belongs to which side .. Any hints?

Hi Freddy

Hopefully this pic will help.

The left thigh (when worn) has that distinctive bump at the top. Once you have that, the rest should fall into place.

37f08422563a180dcf25e834690c6207.jpg

Dan :-)

The topic of RS thighs also came up here the other day:

Tox's RS build thread

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44970-toxs-rs-build-thread/?do=findComment&comment=616119

Might be worth a little look. :-)

Cheers, Eagle Eye! You're really doing an Imperial Attaché's job :)

I should be ready to trim the thighs to the correct size now, only with the length trimming I'll wait until I have finished strapping and fitting the torso. That reminds me of yet another question: when I wear my arms properly, there is barely no gap between the hand plates and the forearm armor. Is that normal, does anyone have that problem as well or should I just cut away some armor at the back? Problem is, I currently have a really nice return edge at the back that I kinda wanna keep, and in the front I also don't wanna cut into the area where the bumps start :(

I should be ready to trim the thighs to the correct size now, only with the length trimming I'll wait until I have finished strapping and fitting the torso.

I’d be wary off cutting of any length. They should be the correct length as-is so ideally you’ll only need to make cuts to fit around the leg, rather than length.

Regarding the arms, do you have any pics of your full arms in place? (Shoulder, bicep, forearm?)
You might be able to shift the forearms and biceps up a little to give clearance at the glove end.

(And thanks for your kind words - happy to help :-))

• Like 1