DjHotFiya

Hello From Florida! I don't know where to start!

I am really interested in joining the 501st, but I do not know where to start with costuming. Is there a specific company that I could buy an accurate set of armour from to get started. Although I'd prefer it to be cheep, I want quality armour that requires the least amount of work on my behalf as arts and crafts are far from my specialty. Thank you!

Hello and welcome aboard, as with any hobby research is the key, head to the Getting Started section, some great info in there ;) 

• Like 1

Welcome! Arts and crafts are not my forte either but I did my armor by myself (well with the online help from everyone here too). It’s not as hard as one would think. After reading the getting started section it’ll tell you the vetted makers. A few things come into play like body size and cost. Some people will assemble the armor for you, as someone who looked into this I will say your safer doing it yourself. One wrong measurement and it’s all down hill. I’m not sure of your budget but it’s not cheap. Some things you need but then there are electronics which are optional and can add up too. Armor alone is somewhere short of a grand depending on the maker. It’s a time consuming task but well worth it to see something hand made look so good. And if your still on the fence with doing it yourself reach out to your local garrison which can be found through the 501st site. Once you get connected to them you’ll have all of our knowledge and physical hands close by to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DjHotFiya said:

I am really interested in joining the 501st, but I do not know where to start with costuming.

Don't know where to start... well, you just did.  You have come to the right place if you want to be a stormtrooper.  If you were thinking of something else, let us know and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.  As mentioned above, check out the getting started section - try these links to start:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/

And check out some of the build threads.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/31-costuming-and-builds-501st-approved/

Read through these - it is a bit overwhelming at first, but it is not a bad as it seems.  Ask questions - we are here to help.  I was in the exact same place as you about a year ago.  I had no idea where to start and I had never done anything like this before.  With the help on this site, you'll surprise yourself with what you can accomplish. 

Happy researching!

• Like 2

There are plenty of kits available and doing it yourself will be rewarding. I shopped around with different kits and although I didn't buy the cheapest kit, I also didn't buy the most expensive either. This forum has a TON of great information on it and lots of people that genuinely want to help you start to Troop. I've ordered my kit and while I wait, 5 more weeks, it frees my finances up to buy my soft parts. It's not cheap by any means. Certainly you could do an empty bucket, but you'd stroke out in a Troop, so they're kind of necessary. Once you pick your kit and get it ordered get in contact with your local garrison and at least become a handler (this will help you with your build and there will be armor parties). I've not built a TK yet but after doing research on here, I'm not intimidated at all. I'm actually excited!!!

Welcome to the FISD Dylan!

You've been given a good starting point in becoming a Stormtrooper in the 501st.

Research is the key. You'll be amazed how much stuff you didn't know, till now.

This isn't a cheap hobby but the payback in smiles you create pays off in dividends!

So have a look around and we're here for any help you need.

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Welcome to the FISD Dylan. Looks like my fellow Troopers have given you a great bit I’d advise on where to get started. What part of Florida are you from? 

Hi Dylan and welcome to the FISD!  You have been given some great info so far. I would like to add that bear in mind that this awesome hobby of ours is not cheap. You certainly want to research as much as you can before you make a purchase. There are many factors to consider. For example, what version of the stormtrooper you want to be, your body size (height and weight), and your budget. I would highly recommend building a set of armor. It is very rewarding and not as hard as you think. Ask us any questions you may have. Have fun and good luck!

Welcome aboard, Dylan.

Yep - that’s some great advise above.

If you have a passion for troopers, it’s certainly worth avoiding cheap armour kits. Buying a good quality, close to screen accuracy kit will allow you to build and then enjoy the armour for a lot longer. Trust me - as you learn more and more about the original screen used Stormtroopers, and you spend more time on the forum, you’ll learn all of their intricacies. These become the character quirks that makes the character so special.

When looking to buy, or when starting your build, don’t forget to refer to the reference pictures of movie used armour. Here’s a link to the FISD gallery.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

And remember, no question is a silly question. Never be afraid to post a question on here and we’ll do our best to help out. :-)

Best wishes,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and Welcome! You have started the right place:-) My armor is from Troopermaster in England. It can be ordered in parts so you han make it yourself or finished Ready to wear. Its a great looking armor. But there are other great makers. Check out the sektion in the forum and ser who to avoid and who are recommened:-)

Edited by Dainbrandr
  • Like 1

Welcome to the true home of shiny white armor, Dylan!  You have been given some fantastic advice, and as mentioned we are here to help to achieve your goal of becoming a part of the 501st and FISD as a Stormtrooper!

Unfortunately, as Frank mentioned this is not an inexpensive hobby.  A good set of 501st approvable armor will set you back at least six to seven hundred dollars, plus there are extras such as boots, undersuit, blaster, electronics, build supplies, etc.  I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me when I say it is well worth it once you get approved and get out there trooping.

Many of us here had never worked on anything like this before buying our first kit, but you have the best resources anywhere here as well as hundreds of fine folks to help you with any questions you may have, no matter how small.

The most important areas you can read at first are the ones Greg gave you the links for, :Where to buy..." and Where NOT to buy..".  There are a lot of sellers (especially on eBay) that sell kits on the cheap, but 99% of the time these are bad copies of someone else's work and not approvable.

Again, we are always here to assist in steering you in the right direction.

What part of Florida do you live in?  There are 7 Squads here within the Florida Garrison, and we can help you find someone on a local level that can help you as well.

Hello and welcome aboard

Welcome aboard trooper.

Great advice from these experts.

Don't let the expensive part get your armor out of wack 

Save some bucks and get some armor , several great makers to choose from in getting started

While your waiting for your armor you will have time to save a little more or just buy a few items here and there.

It can take 4 to 6 weeks to get your armor on the average once ordered.

also putting together your armor will take some time, especially if you haven't done this type of thing before.

Most importantly , don't rush to get done.

So , as you are building your armor you will have more time to save or just buy some more stuff.

It's not like you have to have all of it at the same time.

Just relax, and enjoy the experience. 

And do alot of reading on this forum. It helps a lot.

I see you have a lot of your questions being answered.

Make sure you also sign up on the florida garrison forums: www.fl501st.com

Hello and welcome to the FISD! There are cheaper/easier options if you are simply looking to join the 501st, but if you want to be a stormtrooper, that's what we're here to help you with! Keep in mind you can still assist your local 501st unit by handling/wrangling for those in costume even before you have your own. Always appreciated.