Tube stripes - ANH Stunt - Dave M

Hi all.

Rather than me posting on specific threads, I thought I’d make a post about the correct use of the “Dave M” style decals/templates for ANH Stunt lids. If it is deemed worthy, perhaps it could become a sticky. I will then try my best not to mention it on individual posts (as the last thing I want to do is upset anyone).

As the name “Tube Stripe Police” was bestowed upon me, I feel it’s my duty to try and spread he work to keep up the high standards of TK screen accuracy. I hope I have not become a nuisance by flagging it.

So, here are some shots of the Set for Stun, or “Dave M” helmet from ANH. These pictures are from the excellent website www.starwarshelmets.com

d74536222dc27fedd5fed3b46982c70d.jpg

9f5c078bf92e53b547a41fa5b42d6227.jpg

5882a886ffaf6a600db74814550fb6d7.jpg

My interpretation of these stripes are that they were intended to look like vents on a curved surface. When viewed from straight on they should naturally curve with the tube.

Here are some shots that I put together (using my old SDS lid, hand painted stripes using Dave M style templates/stencils from Mike at Trooperbay).

00a63035f5a6bab81dc18d6d523bb9b6.jpg

6c1e27be296a8675a9209083c8fc2dcc.jpg

a75b8a066f57c1b745a6083884119cde.jpg

For obvious reasons, I won’t show pictures of those that have been applied the other way around as they are not mine to share and I don’t want to alienate people. Should anyone wish to share, please feel free.

I hope that all makes sense.

Any comments of suggestions to improve this thread, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Dan

• Like 10

Oh Dan, I'm not too proud to contribute here. ;)  I put the paint templates (roughly fashioned after the Dave M helmet and available from TrooperBay) on the wrong sides of my bucket.  In many cases, these links are to the first of many consecutive posts.

Here is me screwing up my templates like a total idiot:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=589733

Here is me getting called on it (Looking at you, Dan :) )

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=592275

Here is me fixing the issue:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=594834

And Dan, if I do this again, I fully expect you to call me on it immediately.  :P 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Oh Dan, I'm not too proud to contribute here. ;)  I put the paint templates (roughly fashioned after the Dave M helmet and available from TrooperBay) on the wrong sides of my bucket.  In many cases, these links are to the first of many consecutive posts.

Here is me screwing up my templates like a total idiot:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=589733

Here is me getting called on it (Looking at you, Dan :) )

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=592275

Here is me fixing the issue:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=594834

And Dan, if I do this again, I fully expect you to call me on it immediately.  :P 

Thank you for chipping in, Greg. You did a superb job of correcting them and I really appreciate you sharing your fix. 

Best wishes,

The Sheriff. :salute:

• Like 1

Hey Dan,
I just realized that this is posted in two different areas (here and in the ANH build section).  Is that on purpose or by accident?

Hi bud. I posted in both sections to spread the word a little further. I’m not sure what the traffic is like in the paint section, so added to the armoury section too. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on this, Dan! :jc_doublethumbup:

One small tip I would add for those using the templates is after pressing them into the correct position**, apply a VERY thin coat of white paint over the stripes.  Let that dry for 5-10 minutes, and then use the blue paint.  The reason being is that the white paint will seal the edges of the stripes, preventing the blue from bleeding underneath and give you nice crisp lines.

**  Please note the position of the stripes on the tube, which are about a #2 pencil width away from the cheek.  PERFECT!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This is a point that scares me almost as much as making that first cut. I do eventually want to eliminate the decals on my ANOVOS but man I'm not the strongest painter in some aspects.

This is a point that scares me almost as much as making that first cut. I do eventually want to eliminate the decals on my ANOVOS but man I'm not the strongest painter in some aspects.

Don’t be too worried - It’s really not that bad. With the stencils carefully applied, then applying light coats, then tidy any bleed with a toothpick.

Stencil applied:
f8fc2c334cbe897fce4ce28b11858907.jpg

Before and after toothpick corrections:
352e06eadb4e4114b5dba0a935df21c5.jpg

Hope that helps a little. :-)
  • Like 3

Don’t be too worried - It’s really not that bad. With the stencils carefully applied, then applying light coats, then tidy any bleed with a toothpick.

Stencil applied:
f8fc2c334cbe897fce4ce28b11858907.jpg&key=b03e6e742c02aecb9fca5963cbf6f1e7489ba1757599b86206f6714866883474

Before and after toothpick corrections:
352e06eadb4e4114b5dba0a935df21c5.jpg&key=c0028c056acb767f20842dffac97b6b5f9ce436e43cdb14028f143d3a2e4e417

Hope that helps a little. :-)
So using the toothpick is it just chipping at the excess or using mineral spirits?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

So using the toothpick is it just chipping at the excess or using mineral spirits?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

For me, I just used the toothpick and gently chipped/scraped away any excess.

Although I’ve not tried it myself, quite a few folks recommend applying the stencil, then a light coat of white paint, then the blue. This can reduce the appearance of bleed from the blue paint. :-)
  • Like 1

I did a full repaint on my Anovos helmet when I first got it over 2 years ago. I was probably only the 2nd person to do more than a frown touch up.

Full details are in my build thread linked in my signature but if you have any questions on how to remove the original paint and decals feel free to ask me.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 5:43 AM, themaninthesuitcase said:

I did a full repaint on my Anovos helmet when I first got it over 2 years ago. I was probably only the 2nd person to do more than a frown touch up.

Full details are in my build thread linked in my signature but if you have any questions on how to remove the original paint and decals feel free to ask me.

I'd love to hear about the procedures and what you used for the removal process!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Appreciated.
Can I purchase these stencils?

Hi Vin

I got these from Mike at Trooperbay (via his eBay page). They are good quality and, from memory, the service was really good. He offers a “hand painted” style option which is what I went for. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

• 1 month later...

2020 bump for new recruits. :smiley-sw013:

Haha, jk. I'm actually posting to share my most recent PDF compilation of this thread. Your work continues to amaze me, Dan, and I'm sure many more of your future posts will warrant being added to my All-In-One Resource Compilation thread. Keep up the great work, Sheriff!

• Like 2