Harbinger's ANH Hero build (TM/Anovos)

Harbinger

Back in the saddle again!

I've always been a huge fan of the Hero TK, and as someone who is a 'little short to be a stormtrooper' I felt it was time to embrace it. I plan on going "full Hero" so that means grappling hook, comlink, alternative hand plates, and a promo blaster and holster because why not.

Why a conversion? Since space (and funds!) are tight, I'm reusing everything that is common between the Stunt and Hero suits - so in this case, I'll need a new belt, new helmet, and a few accessories, and the rest will be my existing Stunt suit.

Helmet

I'll be purchasing a helmet from Troopermaster as, as far as I can tell, he's the only one with a different sculpt for the helmet (vs. changing out teeth and ears) and as such, the only screen accurate helmet, look-wise. Hopefully the TM plastic is a "good enough" match for Anovos'.

Belt

I was originally planning on building a second belt for my Hero, but has since decided to convert my existing Stunt belt. Why? My current belt has more overlap than I prefer, and you can see it sticking out past my TD:

shhK7oY.jpg

So, I will instead convert this belt over as it won't need a TD and get a new, shorter belt from Rob, so you won't see the overlap when the TD is on (which will look cleaner, IMO).

Grappling Hook & Box

M3lNZf0.jpg

Here is where it gets tricky. I had no problem getting a hook, but there don't seem to be all that many options out there for the box, so I'm going off screen reference and building my own.

Comlink

Again, building my own here based on screen reference..

Hand Plates

Waiting on Joseph. :P

SE-14R (the "promo blaster")

I will keep blaster build updates in its own thread, which I've already started, here:

do need to get a holster for it from Darman at some point, though...

So that's where I'm at so far, more updates to come!

Edited by Harbinger

Grappling Hook Box - Dimensions

As already stated I will be making this myself (or attempting to at least).

Here are my current "best guess" measurements based on screen grabs:

Rsh4s9g.png

The box seems to be roughly as deep as the ridge on the forearms (a little over an inch):

CJlvus8.jpg

My friend has a vacformer so pretty soon I'll make a buck and do some test pulls. Already working on tracking down a screen-accurate toggle switch for the box, too. :)

Edited by Harbinger

Hero Belt - Stunt Conversion (AKA, two more holes)

Thankfully, turning a stunt belt into a hero belt is far, far easier than the other way around. All it took was a bit of measuring to make sure the two new holes would line up properly and then it was just a matter of punching the holes:

ZdcUBh2.jpg

I like to use some fray check to seal the fabric, to reduce the chances of tearing:

sMia7lV.jpg

...And that's it!

Edited by Harbinger

Hero Belt - Removable Holster w/ Snaps (HOWTO)

As part of my effort to be able to avoid redundancy, I plan on swapping my holster between my hero and stunt belts. I would also like the option to swap out my E-11 holster for an SE-14R holster, or an imperial binder holder at some point in the future.

could just use the chicago screws I have been using, but I'm not a huge fan as 1.) they scratch up my kidney plate and 2.) they take time to remove and re-install. So, I present an alternative solution, using pop rivets and snaps to allow for easy removal while still staying screen accurate.

Step 1: Using a 3/16" drill bit, manually drill out the center of a male snap fitting.

8GSrXdX.jpg

I am using Tandy line 24 nickel plates snaps, but any snap of the correct size would probably do. Even though these snaps have a 3/16" center post, it is just a tad too small to allow a similar sized pop rivet through the hole.

Step 2: Place your snap on the inside of the belt (facing armor) and push a 3/16" aluminum pop rivet through the opposite side:

[I forgot to take a photo, oops!]

Then, using a rivet gun, set the rivet inside the snap. Hold the snap and rivet tightly together as you start pulling the rivet through the gun - this ensures a nice snug fit with no gaps. The ball bearing may fall out, but the rivet should have deformed enough to hold the snap on tightly. You may need to use the snap setting tool to clean up/compress the interior if this happens.

Step 3: Repeat four more times (or two, for a Stunt belt!). The end result should be something like this:

e4bsv7t.jpg

zj5WVQJ.jpg

Step 4: Mount female snaps to the holster as normal. The holster can now be snapped to the belt and removed as needed:

ImqRIBC.jpg

mMwJb1K.jpg

I find the domed side is more resistant to scratching armor than the slotted heads of the chicago screws I was using previously. In my case, I'm re-using a holster I got second hand (came with the extra Anovos bits) so there were a few extra holes I didn't need. See my Stunt build thread for more details.

So, there you have it. For any additional holsters, just repeat Step 4, making sure your holes line up with the snaps. I made a photocopy of one of the holster straps before installing the snaps so I can use it as a template down the road. If swapping between Stunt and Hero belts the uppermost snaps will sit behind the belt, un-used.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, it only took me two years to circle back to this build. I ordered a Hero helmet kit and grappling box kit from Troopermaster during the holidays, which will be here very soon. Until then, work resumes on the other stuff!

Got Joseph’s all-new Hero hand guards, in matte white (which is a closer match to the film ones):

OjX0GO2.jpg

I used plenty of E6000 to get them glued to rubber gloves (stunt gloves for reference):

2mwsw5U.jpg

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

Nice to see you doing this Brien.  I will be doing the same thing shortly.  I ordered my Hero stuff from TM back towards the end of November which will also be arriving soon.  Enjoy the mods.

• Like 1