MAGNETS 101

This is a mini tutorial about the use of Neodymium ("rare earth") magnets.  As you may have read here in different build threads, these little devils are invaluable when constructing a set of TK armor.

BUT.. there are a few things to consider before purchasing and then using them...

For purposes of this tutorial, I will be referring to magnets that are 7/8 inches (23mm) in diameter and 1/8 inch (4mm) thick, (as seen below) with a strength of N40.

CVra5f5.jpg?2

First, know that these things are STRONG!  (Imagine a regular magnet the same size, but 10 times more powerful).  This is a good thing for our purposes, but you should know a few quick facts first:

1.  I mentioned that these are strong already, but know that the strength is such that they can (and will) jump up to 8 inches to reconnect with each other or another metal object.  If your finger is between the magnets and this happens, it can cause injury, from bruising to serious cuts.  They also can (and will) shatter if allowed to connect from a distance, and flying chips can cause eye injuries.  In a word, be careful.  I highly suggest wearing eye protection.  That is up to you, but please read this post from Glen located below.

2.  Due to the strong magnetic field, those with pacemakers or the like should take extra caution when handling these.

3.  Whatever you do, keep these away from children.

Now that I've scared you a bit, on with the show!

When considering what size to buy for your build, I cannot recommend the 7/8 x 1/8 size enough.  The reason being is that you will only need one on each side of the connection you are gluing, and they have a large surface area.

Anything smaller (or thinner) and you run the risk of having to "double up" (stack) them to get the proper adhesion, and the thinner ones shatter more easily.

When you receive them, they will have little plastic separators between each one.  To get them apart, the easiest (and safest) way is to slide them.

BhzryKr.jpg?2

As you separate them, again, be sure to keep them as far apart as possible to prevent shattering or injury.  (Save the plastic inserts).

After separating them, I strongly recommend doing one of 2 things...

1.  Wrapping each one in masking or painter's tape, (this will prevent them from scratching your armor) or

2.  Making mini "sachets" for each one.

The tape method is quick and easy, but the sachets are really handy if you have the time.  To make them:

Cut 4" (10cm) squares from a piece of fairly thick cloth, (not t-shirt type material) for as many magnets as you have.  Place one magnet in each one**, and secure it with a zip-tie.  (I used a rubber band for the photo, which will not work in real life).  This gives you a "handle".

NOTES

**Be SURE that you do half facing one direction out and half facing the other (north/south poles).  Otherwise they won't adhere.

Using a sachet will not prevent them from shattering.

Cricket added a great example photo and tips in a post below.

ztHy7Pz.jpg?1    skktQRg.jpg?1

After you have applied the E-6000** to the seam you are gluing, place one magnet on the top of the cover strip, and carefully add one to the opposite side (inside).

To keep the cover strip tight to the join along the entire length, I suggest placing magnets every 3-4 inches apart.  If you see any areas where the cover strips are not flush with the armor, add more magnets.

ZQAnDoZ.jpg?1

For the ends, you can use clamps as seen above.  Be sure they have rubber or plastic on the ends, though.

After the E-6000 has cured (usually 12-24 hours) it's time to remove the magnets!

IMPORTANT!

I have found the best way to remove them is this:

First, remove the clamps.  Then, using one hand, grasp the magnet on the top closest to the end.  Using the other hand, SLIDE the one on the inside out, keeping them well apart.  Stack them using the plastic separators they came with.

Now, it's time to look at that perfect seam and think "Hey, I'm one step closer to approval"!

NOTES:

**  As the vast majority of TKs will tell you, E-6000 is really the best adhesive out there for armor.  Unless you are an experienced builder, if you choose to use CA (super) glue, know that if it drips, you run the risk of it running onto your armor or causing the magnets/sachets to adhere to your seam.  You have been warned.

1.  There is no such thing as having "too many magnets".  I know they are not cheap, but the more you have the more pieces you can glue at one time.  I recommend having no less than 12.

2.  There are many sources to purchase this size magnet, and the prices can run up to $3.00 each.  But, you can find them on eBay most of the time for a lot less.  This seller for instance offers them for $9.99 for six, which includes postage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Super-Strong-Neodymium-Rare-earth-Magnet-Disc-for-sale-7-8-dia-x-1-8-thick/281060567507?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Another good source is here:  https://totalelement.com/products/3-4-x-1-8-inch-neodymium-rare-earth-disc-magnets-n52-8-pack

Tim (PICTreed) found a great site that is a fantastic magnet source here:  https://appliedmagnets.com/neodymium-disc-magnets-1-in-x-1-8-in-w-countersunk-hole-p-601.html

3.  When you have completed your build, please consider "paying it forward" to someone in your Garrison/Squad who is starting their build by selling them your magnets at a reduced price.  "Troopers helping Troopers"!

• Like 9

I remember getting a set from china, via ebay, with only a few pages from a local newspaper as packing, thought they had not arrived, then noticed they were stuck to the inside of my letterbox :)

I also found them really handy for finding a few nails that had been used on a wooden window frame that had been skimmed over......see, they also have practical uses.

• Like 2

Could I add a suggestion to your great info piece?  When making magnet sachets, it's a really good idea to make sure that you've got polarity-correct pairs.  An easy way to help identify magnet pairs is to assemble them using fabric with high-contrast colors.  Kind of like this:

41539049162_3afdacebfe_c.jpg

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

Could I add a suggestion to your great info piece?  When making magnet sachets, it's a really good idea to make sure that you've got polarity-correct pairs.  An easy way to help identify magnet pairs is to assemble them using fabric with high-contrast colors.  

Excellent idea, Christine!  Thanks for sharing that!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Follow-up on magnet strength. I went to ebay and purchased the 7/8 X 1/8 magnets with a strength of N40 (versus the others you also mentioned that referenced N52). Given all the comments on how strong they are, I figured I'd go with the lesser of the two so they don't risk too much pull-squeeze between the ABS and result in much of the glue being forced out. Not sure if that's even a concern, this is merely me guessing, without much applied experience as yet that a light pressure between surfaces ensuring they make even-contact is enough.

Is there a strength factor that you'd recommend over the other in relation to the glue scenario?
Thanks in advance for any insights or experience on this.

Edited by Linus

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, Linus said:

Follow-up on magnet strength. I went to ebay and purchased the 7/8 X 1/8 magnets with a strength of N40 (versus the others you also mentioned that referenced N52). Given all the comments on how strong they are, I figured I'd go with the lesser of the two so they don't risk too much pull-squeeze between the ABS and result in much of the glue being forced out. Not sure if that's even a concern, this is merely me guessing, without much applied experience as yet that a light pressure between surfaces ensuring they make even-contact is enough.

Is there a strength factor that you'd recommend over the other in relation to the glue scenario?
Thanks in advance for any insights or experience on this.

Sorry for the late reply, Dave, but the N40 are just fine and create a great bond without being too powerful.  Great question!!!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Joseph, appreciate the follow-up. Just started my actual build but having bought only 12, I'm guessing I'll need more before the build is complete due to breakage or multiple parts drying :wacko: so that helps me to know what to continue buying...

One thing to note: The 7/8" magnets are fantastic, but they're too big to fit into narrower areas such as the forearms.  So it might not be a bad idea to get some smaller ones, as well, specifically for those smaller parts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, Cricket said:

Could I add a suggestion to your great info piece?  When making magnet sachets, it's a really good idea to make sure that you've got polarity-correct pairs.  An easy way to help identify magnet pairs is to assemble them using fabric with high-contrast colors.  Kind of like this:

41539049162_3afdacebfe_c.jpg

@Cricket - Here's the post I previously referred to. What type of cloth did you use for these sachets? Microfiber or felt of some sort? Did you simply cut your own by-the-yard fabric squares with zigzag craft scissors? I want to ensure I don't scratch the armor.

@kman - Do you have a suggestion for smaller diameter alternatives? Does the 7/8" size simply not fit inside forearm pieces?

Btw, EXCELLENT post Joseph! I love all your 101s!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

@Cricket - Here's the post I previously referred to. What type of cloth did you use for these sachets? Microfiber or felt of some sort? Did you simply cut your own by-the-yard fabric squares with zigzag craft scissors? I want to ensure I don't scratch the armor.

I used some leftover cotton broadcloth for these. It's inexpensive; something you could easily get for a few bucks at Joann, Walmart, or any fabric shop (even Amazon!).   I think using felt would not necessarily be a good idea because the fabric isn't all that strong.  Microfiber might be okay, but it's thin and might wear out sooner rather than later.

And yep, I cut out all the squares for the magnets with pinking shears so the material wouldn't fray apart on me.  Three years and four TK builds later, and they are still holding up well.  

"... ensure I don't scratch up the armor."   :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:
We call that screen accurate weathering, son.  You shouldn't be dragging the magnets all hither and yon over your armor anyhow.  Your armor should be just fine if you're just using the magnets to clamp pieces together!  ;) 

I'd also like to add that I dry fit the magnets and clamps prior to gluing the cover strip down. Then, using painters tape, I tape the inside magnets down in place so that when I place the glued cover strip down, I am not fumbling with magnets on the inside and outside of the piece I am working on. I simply place the outside magnets on and they "snap" into place.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, PICTreed said:

Appliedmagnets.com is much cheaper.  Someone let me know if I'm missing something.

EXCELLENT find there, Tim!  The ones shown in that site (specifically these) have some advantages:

1.  One inch diameter will have a wider surface area.

2.  Recessed area (countersunk hole) in the center would make them easier to slide apart.

3.  Very strong.. N52 as opposed to N40.

4.  PRICE!  At $1.09 each, these come in less expensive than most others.

I will be adding this link to my main post, and THANKS!  

By the way, as mentioned in my main post-  Unless you are planning on building another set of armor, most of you will really not need this type of magnet when you are done so please consider "paying it forward" to someone in your Garrison/Squad who is starting their build by selling them your magnets at a reduced price.  "Troopers helping Troopers"!

• Like 1

I picked up the N52's from there today in 3/4"x1/8".  While showing how dangerous they could be at work they slid together and pinched my finger.  I expect it to blister up in the next couple days.  THEY ARE DANGEROUS!  LOL.

Edited by PICTreed
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PICTreed said:

I picked up the N52's from there today in 3/4"x1/8".  While showing how dangerous they could be at work they slid together and pinched my finger.  I expect it to blister up in the next couple days.  THEY ARE DANGEROUS!  LOL.

I always stress how careful folks have to be with these.. they can break skin and bring blood if handled incorrectly.   Remember, these are NOT solid metal like regular magnets... I have seen them jump 6 inches to connect and shatter on impact.

And wear safety goggles, I had a trip to the emergency rooms due to a splinter of magnet that shot up into my eye, I am very very careful now

9 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

And wear safety goggles, I had a trip to the emergency rooms due to a splinter of magnet that shot up into my eye, I am very very careful now

Excellent point, brother.  Sorry that happened to you, but I have added a link to this post in #1 of the original post.  THANKS!

1.   ..... They also can (and will) shatter if allowed to connect from a distance, and flying chips can cause eye injuries.  In a word, be careful.  I highly suggest wearing eye protection.  That is up to you, but please read this post from Glen located below.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, KeeganTK said:

Good info here!! Best Magnets size I can find on Amazon is 1.26 inch (32mm) x 1/8 inch (3.17mm).  Will these work? Most of my shopping is from Amazon, because I'm in Alaska.

I use a few different sizes, those you mention will work, max width I have is 1", depending on width and thickness can change how much pressure/pulling power the magnets have.

Quite cheap on eBay and Aliexpress, as most that comes from overseas shipping does take some time though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KeeganTK said:

Good info here!! Best Magnets size I can find on Amazon is 1.26 inch (32mm) x 1/8 inch (3.17mm).  Will these work? Most of my shopping is from Amazon, because I'm in Alaska.

I think these (link here) would be your best bet, Keegan.  The listing says "Free U.S. Shipping" and that's actually a really good price!

• Like 1