SNAP Setting 101

Thanks for the link Q. The snaps I'm dealing with are the "S" snaps on the Ab.

I did try the fixes listed in the link for the other style of snap and they still didn't work.

I retried several loose snaps and now they seem like they won't hold the weight of the belt. They do pop on but are easy to remove.

I then tried and removed about 4 snaps from the belt, and all of them fail to hold the belt on. Maybe I need better quality ones? I just bought a multipack off ebay, maybe even same ones list in ukswraths builds.

I don't really want to, but I may have to resort to Velcro on Ab and attached to belt to hold it up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I normally tap a Philips head screwdriver on the post, this helps spread the post out then finish with the snap tool 

Timely repost Q, thanks. Started trying to do my snaps and butchered three of them before quitting for the night. This couldn’t be more helpful. Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, MrShine said:

I actually use abs paste to seal my snaps to the armor.IMG_5046.thumb.jpg.59523dccfbafc6bc87040b434bbe6f09.jpg

this is great, but just to clarify - the snaps are ONLY through the "snap-plate" and not the armor itself, right?

4 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

this is great, but just to clarify - the snaps are ONLY through the "snap-plate" and not the armor itself, right?

Correct. The plate gets glued to the armour. 

6 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Correct, also make sure you rough the surfaces with sandpaper before applying glue, will give the glue something to hold on too. 

Also note try not to get any glue on the snaps when applying them, some in the past have had reactions between the snaps and glues which causes heat, I have never encountered this though, be a good idea just to do a test one first ;) 

You can also recess the snaps so they aren't raised

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

I'm having a hard time finding the Tandy 24 snaps here.  That, and the ones I did find were crazy expensive.  I get that you don't want to cheap-out on them for sure.  But, has anyone found any alternative brands that still hold up well?

I've been using no name brands snaps purchased on Aliexpress, I thought they would be sub standard but have been working well. I think the Tandy 24 snaps have always been mentioned as they are normally easy enough to purchase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

I'm having a hard time finding the Tandy 24 snaps here.  That, and the ones I did find were crazy expensive.  I get that you don't want to cheap-out on them for sure.  But, has anyone found any alternative brands that still hold up well?

Others on the forums have recommended fasnap. 

https://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/snap-fasteners---screw-studs/standard-snap-fasteners

is what I have purchased and they seem to plenty strong from just creating and testing my snap plates.  My kit's not done yet so I can't personally vouch for them while trooping though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another rivet question for you.

I'm having trouble setting the 2 single dome rivets that hold the thigh ammo belt onto the bottom of the right thigh.

I cannot get the punch & hammer inside the thigh to set the rivets.

Is this tool you mention earlier in this thread what I need to do this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Vario-Pliers-Punching-Tool/dp/B000P1ASDI

Or here it is on the US Amazon site:

Prym Vario Pliers

2ANRXii.jpg

13 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

Just found this; great thread!

I used 15mm snaps for the 2 on the lower area of the butt piece.

It has been pointed out these are the wrong snaps for this location.

What are the correct snaps?

MWlwu5b.jpg

32lbmfd.jpg

How about these:

Tandy Leather "Line 24" Nickel Plated Steel Snaps

26 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

Just found this; great thread!

I used 15mm snaps for the 2 on the lower area of the butt piece.

It has been pointed out these are the wrong snaps for this location.

What are the correct snaps?

MWlwu5b.jpg

32lbmfd.jpg

You should see the BACK of the snaps on the cod armor, not the front. The top with the green background is correct. The bottom is backwards.

17 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

Another rivet question for you.

I'm having trouble setting the 2 single dome rivets that hold the thigh ammo belt onto the bottom of the right thigh.

I cannot get the punch & hammer inside the thigh to set the rivets.

Is this tool you mention earlier in this thread what I need to do this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Vario-Pliers-Punching-Tool/dp/B000P1ASDI

Or here it is on the US Amazon site:

Prym Vario Pliers

2ANRXii.jpg

The split rivets for the knee can be done with pliers. The shaft is two pieces that split. I do not believe this one pictured is the correct thing.

11 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

^ those ones are good, Greg. However, you do not want the 10 pack, you want the 100 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ABSPT4

You'll use up the 10 pack on just a couple panels if you're doing double snaps. The 100 will see you through a full armor build.

89400-cent-12.jpg

Correct cod/butt snaps for Centurion.  These are Tandy Line 24, but I do not believe the TYPE of snap matters. Just the orientation and location.

89400-cent-40.jpg

Inside of the knee split rivet.

89400-cent-38.jpg

Outside of the knee split rivet. Note that this one gets painted but the cod does not.

23 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

You should see the BACK of the snaps on the cod armor, not the front. The top with the green background is correct. The bottom is backwards.

The split rivets for the knee can be done with pliers. The shaft is two pieces that split. I do not believe this one pictured is the correct thing.

^ those ones are good, Greg. However, you do not want the 10 pack, you want the 100 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ABSPT4

You'll use up the 10 pack on just a couple panels if you're doing double snaps. The 100 will see you through a full armor build.

Ok, now I see; I mounted the 2 snaps backwards, doh!

Easy fix.

Here's the snaps I've been using during my restrapping of my SDS kit, removing most of the velcro, replacing with snaps & 1" web.

15mm Heavy Duty Snap Fasteners Kit

b9ReEIy.jpg

Will these do for the split rivets?

The Hillman Group 1269 1/8 x 3/8 in.- Steel Split Rivet

HQXCzQE.jpg

4 hours ago, Oldracer said:

Abodomen

Three rivets, approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter, are present on the left side of the abdomen armor.

• Thight ammo belt
  • Rivet should be approximately 5/16" (8mm) in diameter (exterior).

• Like 1

Here are the measurements for the rivets:

xMdrkqR.jpg?1

Lowe's and Home Depot do not carry these, but you may be able to find them for sale individually at an ACE hardware store if there is one near you.  If you don't want to spend $13.40 on Amazon for 90 of them I sell the entire hardware kits for 8 bucks (my cost) which includes tracked shipping.

Link here

04riebU.jpg?2

• 10 months later...

Just a question on the kidney/ab straps. I’ve initially used strong elastic but despite this being short enough so that it doesn’t stretch, it still does, particularly at the hip area. This makes the seam out of line. I’m wondering whether I should use the nylon webbing instead? I used this for the back pieces and it works really well to keep everything in line, although it does restrict movement a little. 
Would nylon webbing be ok for the ab/kidney connection, or should I stick with elastic?

I normally use doubled over elastic and take off 5mm from the desired width.

Using nylon will stop it coming apart but the down side is try to get it closed as you won't have any give, still it's worth a try 

• Like 1