SNAP Setting 101

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

I glue the double fold together before adding the snaps on mine for added strength

I actually sewed mine, was quite time consuming sat in front of the machine do all 18ish straps.  I guess I am lucky as I only use 1" as well and there's been no issues with "pull".  

Maybe the best course is start with elastic, but if there are areas that you can already tell will need pulling in or show they need it later in use swap to webbing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

A lot of that will depend on the particular connection.  Some larger framed Troopers shooting for L3 have a problem with gaps between the a/kidney and kidney/back plates as well as what I call (for lack of a better phrase) "Trooper butt", where the posterior plate sticks way to far out under the kidney.  Using nylon will help keep these areas tight and aligned, but can unfortunately restrict movement if there is not much wiggle room.  Using elastic is great if you can get away with it on any connection, but as Chis mentioned, be sure to double it over before setting the snaps in in it.  (I glue the double fold together before adding the snaps on mine for added strength).

I ordered a bunch of both. Think i will go elastic first, then kit up and evaluate my situation. find places (if any) that need more "stability" and adjust.

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 5:52 PM, Erice3339 said:

I see. I have this diagram saved. If I order two more 10 pcks from Tandy, I’ll have fifty pieces/snaps. While it’s not enough to fulfill this diagram completely, I think it’ll provide me enough to reinforce most areas. I’ll have to determine what areas I get skimp by with single connections. Thank you again, Joseph. 

what are the top of the legs attaching to with snaps...?? 

14 minutes ago, ludikris said:

Your thigh garter system. In the diagram, I presume Joseph's colleague is building his own; however, I purchased mine from Pencap's sale thread here: 

I highly recommend it. If nothing else, you can go to this thread to see how a thigh garter system looks/works (he has pictures). Prior to costume building (PCB), I had no idea what a garter system was, so I think the thread might shed some light on it for you. In short, it is a belt that you put on over your soft parts but beneath your armor that has two pieces of fabric/nylon looped around the belt. On the ends of these loops are two snaps (male) which will connect to two strips of material that have the other snaps (female) on the inside of your thigh armor pieces. This system holds up your thighs when you wear the armor (which is crucial). I am still a new builder myself, but let me know if you have any other questions! 

Edited by Erice3339

On 11/2/2018 at 4:35 AM, ludikris said:

Can be as simple as just a belt with loops of elastic or nylon attached to suspend the thighs 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I ordered a bunch of both. Think i will go elastic first, then kit up and evaluate my situation. find places (if any) that need more "stability" and adjust.
Hey Commander, just curious if you had to make any adjustments after your evaluation with your elastic???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, repentance3232 said:

Hey Commander, just curious if you had to make any adjustments after your evaluation with your elastic???

Actually I ended up going with Nylon everywhere but the shoulders and the right side of the torso and the chest to ab plate. it gives me the movement I need. I also built the kit with a little room on the inside.

Edited by Commander Gree

Cut the 2 inch strapping to about 4 inches long or thereabouts. 
Cut the 1 inch nylon into 2 inch lengths as seen below.

Ok, someone needs a good laugh!!! I cut 2" nylon in the length of 4" and followed the instructions and this is what I ended up with. I think I did something wrong because my gap is very visible eec3bcda67fbf77c59a4030dd4ba89e6.jpg

7 hours ago, repentance3232 said:

Help me, you are my only hope

The 4 inch in the tutorial was just for an example, and I should have clarified that, John. I use the 4 inch length on my side kidney to ab connections, which gives a little room to work with while snapping them together.  The other strap lengths can (and should in this case) be shorter as needed. This is actually a pretty straightforward fix, though.  Just cut the strap as seen below and insert 2 new male sides, that way you don't have to remove the bases that have been glued to your armor.

Xfffwmu.jpg?1

• Like 1

The 4 inch in the tutorial was just for an example, and I should have clarified that, John. I use the 4 inch length on my side kidney to ab connections, which gives a little room to work with while snapping them together.  The other strap lengths can (and should in this case) be shorter as needed. This is actually a pretty straightforward fix, though.  Just cut the strap as seen below and insert 2 new male sides, that way you don't have to remove the bases that have been glued to your armor.
Xfffwmu.jpg?1&key=c88a83f5bc86105c2bd70337259176c617c07a4a94b230a54d1579a3cdff7e4a
Ok. I hope you actually got a little chuckle out of this, I sure was laughing at myself. I see now what I need to do with moving forward in web strapping

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, justjoseph63 said:

A lot of that will depend on the particular connection.  Some larger framed Troopers shooting for L3 have a problem with gaps between the a/kidney and kidney/back plates as well as what I call (for lack of a better phrase) "Trooper butt", where the posterior plate sticks way to far out under the kidney.  Using nylon will help keep these areas tight and aligned, but can unfortunately restrict movement if there is not much wiggle room.  Using elastic is great if you can get away with it on any connection, but as Chis mentioned, be sure to double it over before setting the snaps in in it.  (I glue the double fold together before adding the snaps on mine for added strength).

I was trying to work out the same, thinking elastic for arms / legs, probably need nylon for my "Trooper butt". Was thinking of doubling the nylon over and stitching together, but gluing sounds so much easier.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, repentance3232 said:

Ok. I hope you actually got a little chuckle out of this, I sure was laughing at myself. I see now what I need to do with moving forward in web strapping

It's all a learning curve, John.  I think I made more mistakes on my first build than 90% of the troopers out there, lol.  Keep up the great work!!

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but for us folks with arthritis that have issues working with hands due to pain... I've found the Gold Star snap press to be extremely handy and cheap enough that it's affordable.

https://goldstartool.com/heavy-duty-press-for-grommets-snaps-buttons-rivets-die-set.html

The Die Set for Ring Snaps 24 Ligne/15mm (5/8") will fit the Tandy Line 24 snaps pretty much perfectly too.  

I think I've put together about 10 kits worth of snaps on it so far.  Just don't leave it out in your car overnight or anything... if it gets cold and heated up, the "precision casted" metal will precision break ;)

13 minutes ago, repentance3232 said:

Just an update on my 2nd attempt, remember how my 1st attempt was just hilarious ed881e82b2fda92241e24a8e63e71ccc.jpg

Looking good

• Like 1

So after scouring the boards and the inter-webs, I am absolutely convinced I have found the best tool for this job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D4F4Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So looking at it, it appears small but here is a Pic of what you get. Also I have yet to do anything other than a perfect snap set every time

vnMlQCY.jpg?1

16 hours ago, James Whitley said:

Also I have yet to do anything other than a perfect snap set every time

vnMlQCY.jpg?1

Looks efficient but that price... :blink: 

Then again, this hobby isn’t tailored for cheapstakes like me, haha. Thanks for sharing this; maybe my fireteam will get one for all of us TK’s to use. 

17 minutes ago, Erice3339 said:

Looks efficient but that price... :blink: 

Then again, this hobby isn’t tailored for cheapstakes like me, haha. Thanks for sharing this; maybe my fireteam will get one for all of us TK’s to use. 

True, But just need one or two people in a garrison to have one, make life easy =P

• Like 1

I’m cheeps I use a philips head screwdriver, slight tap with a hammer to open up the post, then finish with tool included with snaps, job done ;) 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:02 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

I’m cheeps I use a philips head screwdriver, slight tap with a hammer to open up the post, then finish with tool included with snaps, job done ;) 

ditto.

• 1 month later...

I'm having an issue with my Ab male snaps not holding /  gripping the female belt snaps securely enough.

When I wear the armor the belt very lightly clicks on, the pops off almost immediately.

I removed  the belt female snap (by drilling out the backing plate post), then took the snap and attached it to the Ab. It snapped in securely and held very well.

I think the issue is the little female backing plate post that gets flattened out when the snap is installed. I think it is preventing the female snap from latching onto the Ab male snap.

Are there any recommendations?

I normally tap a Philips head screwdriver on the post, this helps spread the post out then finish with the snap tool 

• Like 1