Chris' first ATA Helmet Build! (pic heavy!!) sorry

emtramone

Looking really nice, Chris, but you may be able to take a little more of the return edge off in a few places, especially the corners.   Here is a link that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/25-helmet-eyes-a-new-hope-stunt/

Here is a detail pic of a Centurion approved ATA bucket that you can also use for a reference:

UZCD5yN.jpg?1

If you would like me to change the name of your topic, i.e. "Chris' First Time ATA build" just let me know via PM with the new title.

• justjoseph63 changed the title to Chris' first ATA Helmet Build!

OK so here is the assembly of the cap and back and the face.

SodjPBI.jpgY7xJuw2.jpgyXGPOWc.jpg

The ears are next. If there are any reference pics that would be appreciated. I have already started but it is proving a long process. As expected though.

Here is my progress so far.

AEopiWQ.jpg

This is with one ear done. I'm going against all the build threads and finishing the ears last. The first one drove me nuts.

Here is the painting so far. How does it look and what should I fix?

zcSqMrL.jpg

uQEhn2X.jpg

jZGLsdj.jpgRWzC5U3.jpg

HGlADxf.jpgmZoUzdF.jpg

I used flex seal instead of plasti dip. Here are those pics.

ldw6nt7.jpgZgzFGMI.jpg

P5DzGar.jpg

So here are the finished painting except for the ears. Is there a CRL for the amount of vent stripes. I have to do the tube stripes too, but not till I'm done with the ears. I want to cut the vents out for ventilation instead of painting them. Is this going to be an issue with approval in the future? Planning to do an armor build in August.

NvHZ0IE.jpgqhFmCHU.jpgBAOQreq.jpgE6ZUTmg.jpgvYKvD5Y.jpg

All suggestions welcome.

• emtramone changed the title to Chris' first ATA Helmet Build! (pic heavy!!) sorry

Hi Chris,

Coming on nicely. :-)

When you say vents, do you mean the vertical lines in the traps and tears? If so, they have to be painted or decals. CRL: “Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.”

If I’m honest, I don’t think you’d get much ventilation through there anyway. :-)

Just a couple of observations. If you’re going for ANH Stunt, you have the option to extend the frown paint a little beyond the un-drilled 5th hole, if you wanted to. Here’s some examples of frown paint from ANH.

d105da4ae816a1781cbea91efe10bc05.jpg

There are also variations on the vocoder shape. The main difference is in the height of the 2nd and 6th vertical lines. Stunt helmets tend to have slightly higher 2nd and 6th lines, whereas ‘hero’ and ROTJ have lower 2nd and 6th.

1ae5067ead202fcf9a92b873d214341d.jpg

As I say, just observations and not reflective of clearance - just personal preference.

Best wishes,

Dan

• Like 1

And Now the finished product. No lines in the tears or traps though. I will probably finish them up during my armor build. I will post a build on that in four months when it arrives. ATA all the way for this first build project. 

0uhKlgY.jpg

0qMC6Ni.jpg

yFID3u5.jpg

moIZciP.jpg

And if anyone knows if there is a right and wrong amount of stripes in the tears and rear traps, that would be super helpful or where I can get some templates. Suggestions welcome as always. 

• Like 1