Roverpus requesting pre-approval review (RS)

Roverpus

Hi,

Requesting comments for pre-approval.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone else to take photos than my small son - so they are not perfect but best available given his height and attention span. There was a lot of glove and helmet taking off / on, and we didn't manage to get a straight back view or the thermal detonator on right. But hopefully good enough for some tips.

Name: Roverpus (Catherine Jahre-Nilsen)

Future Garrison: Nordic Garrison

Armour: RS ANH Stunt

Helmet: RS ANH Stunt

Belt: RS

Boots: Imperial / Bertulli (painted with Angelus white)

Blaster: RS E11 (and another one under construction from Blaster Master)

Height: 165cm / 5' 5" on a good day

wFNWXwK.jpgUMOynpk.jpgTvE98gT.jpgZbwV4du.jpg

5r1WZVc.jpgPaAuU8T.jpgHelIN6Y.jpg

Edited by Roverpus

• Roverpus changed the title to Roverpus requesting pre-approval review (RS)

Clean looking build, I would recommend shortening your shoulder straps a bit so they don't bunch up when your arms are at rest. Make sure you show the white elastic straps for the back of your shoulder straps,  You may also want to think about trimming / shorting your thighs a bit as well. While they shouldn't hold you back they look as if might give you a bit of armor bite when trooping for a longer periods. 

Best of luck trooper!! 

5 hours ago, msouza said:

Clean looking build, I would recommend shortening your shoulder straps a bit so they don't bunch up when your arms are at rest. Make sure you show the white elastic straps for the back of your shoulder straps,  You may also want to think about trimming / shorting your thighs a bit as well. While they shouldn't hold you back they look as if might give you a bit of armor bite when trooping for a longer periods. 

Best of luck trooper!! 

Thanks for the tips. The pop-connectors on the shoulder straps loosened off before the picture, so will reconnect and adjust that as you suggest.

But I am struggling with the thighs and shins and appreciate help. The thigh pieces seem big so I belt them up high to avoid them clanking around. After checking FISD and reference books to see how snug they should be - there is mention of "2 finger" tolerance between thigh and leg, but most of the pictures look pretty snug fit. They just feel loose (maybe store my phone there?). Not sure if this there is anything that I can do about this now? The shins have a life of their own, resisting various Velcro and padding attempts. They either slip down or around. But see there are lots of people/thread with the same shin-challenge so hope I will find a solution to that.

Will enlist unwilling husband for better pictures eventually. He still refuses to engage with TK stuff since I was detained by armed police at Manchester airport in possession of (fully declared) E11 and DLT, passport withdrawn and not allowed to fly with rest of the family. 

6 hours ago, Roverpus said:

Will enlist unwilling husband for better pictures eventually. He still refuses to engage with TK stuff since I was detained by armed police at Manchester airport in possession of (fully declared) E11 and DLT, passport withdrawn and not allowed to fly with rest of the family. 

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Oh, wow!!!  You've already got a legendary trooper story, and you don't even have a TK id yet.  Congrats!  :D

6 hours ago, Roverpus said:

The shins have a life of their own, resisting various Velcro and padding attempts. They either slip down or around. But see there are lots of people/thread with the same shin-challenge so hope I will find a solution to that.

Make yourself some stirrups for the shins.  They will teach those shins who's boss!  

Another thing I noticed has to do with your gloves popping out of the forearms.  This is common, but can be dealt with easily!   Attach a few strips of velcro to the outside ends of the gloves, with corresponding strips on the inside of the forearms.  This not only helps to keep the gloves from popping out/sliding down, but makes it super easy to put on the arms in one fell swoop!  I've trooped with this setup many, many times, and they have never failed.

33713272551_d0266b4716.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Oh, wow!!!  You've already got a legendary trooper story, and you don't even have a TK id yet.  Congrats!  :D

Can laugh in retrospect :P but at the time it was pretty hairy. Middle aged mum as most unlikely suspect ever, surrounded by Border Force and then Armed Police with heavy weapons all over the floor. Plenty of spectators! Meanwhile 9 yr old son in hysterics on the plane when they told him that I was being held by the police and wasn't allowed to board - he even refused an offer to sit up with the pilot. It was a bad mum day.

57 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Make yourself some stirrups for the shins.  They will teach those shins who's boss! 

Thanks - I saw this in your thread and am going to try it after the magnetic shins - magnets already ordered!

58 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Attach a few strips of velcro to the outside ends of the gloves, with corresponding strips on the inside of the forearms. 

But I didn't see this. Good tip and will add it to the list. Then buy shares in Velcro...

Thanks again! I know who to ask now ;)

Looking good! A couple suggestions I have for you...

your butt plate seems to be floating a bit. Put some additional snaps in, attaching the but to the kidney, on the outside of the two pieces. I would space them even further to the outside than the below diagram. That should help the butt from floating away from the kidney. I notice you're using the screen-accurate brackets, so so feel free to do the same with those if you prefer. 

wae7twh.png

Your thighs seem a bit big for your legs, especially in relation the sniper plate (I imagine it will end up catching on the lower lip of the thigh as you walk). The way I trimmed mine was snug up top (maybe one finger clearance), tapered down to be a a little bigger below (maybe 2-3 fingers) to allow for movement. I can try to go more in depth if that doesn't make sense, let me know.

You already mentioned you didn't have much of a spotter/photographer (which is fine haha), but make sure that glove is tucked for your official approval pics!

Looking good trooper, there's honestly not much there that would hold up your basic approval, you'll have your TK number in no time!

For basic approval you shoukd be good to go.  

I have inductrial velcro glued to the front of my boot with a corresponding piece on the inside of each shin to keep them from moving on me. 

The thighs you could always pad if the feel to big. I have room for about one finger in my thighs. I also got rid of the belt and strapped them directly to my the edge of my cod area. 

I did the velcro in the front of the boot and it wasn’t great. The stirrups made a huge difference, now I have both. I also didn’t see the stirrups, I used e-6000, it was easier. As for the blaster issue that’s an amazing story. I’m sure it was rough at the time but that’s something you can tell at every troop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

your butt plate seems to be floating a bit.

3 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

Your thighs seem a bit big for your legs,

In truth my butt is pretty floaty and my thighs are indeed too big for my legs but we can’t all be perfect underneath  ;) Thanks for the useful tips and diagram. May just have to get new legs in addition.

3 hours ago, DamnitDavid said:

The thighs you could always pad if the feel to big. I have room for about one finger in my thighs.

Aha, that sounds like a sensible tolerance. Padding would help inside but not stop me clanking unnecessarily. Thinking I’m going to have to get new thighs, but hopefully don’t have to wait on them for TK approval?

Good look overall! You should be able to get approval. I notice in your front on shot that your thighs are against cod. That's definitely the clanking sound maker. You don't have to but you could trim the insides down a bit where they meet cod. Leaving a nice line of black showing and they wont hit anymore.

Good Luck with your approval!:duim:

Always nice to see more ladies in white!

It definitely makes a difference when your armor fits snug. Being all loose and clanging around makes it hard to walk in. Like David said , get some foam padding a experiment with it until you find what works best. Just tape it in until everything feels right. Then maybe velcro it in. I wouldnt glue it in. We do alot of sweating and you end up with some glued in permanent body odor. Kinda like what happens to your hockey equipment,  if you know anyone who has played hockey they will tell you about that. But if velcro is used then you could pull it out and hand wash it. Make clean again. No smelly troopers .lol. 

Depending on the glue used, you could remove the back coverstrip, resize, then reglue. I originally had my shins glued wrong.  If they seem to long or mobility is an issue trimming them a little shorter may help as well. I have long arms and legs, so I have to minimize the gap

3 hours ago, DamnitDavid said:

Depending on the glue used, you could remove the back coverstrip, resize, then reglue. I originally had my shins glued wrong.  If they seem to long or mobility is an issue trimming them a little shorter may help as well. I have long arms and legs, so I have to minimize the gap

My thoughts exactly. If you used E6000, for example, you could just rip off the back coverstrip on the thighs, trim them down some, and reglue, no hassle. 

Again, it's worth stating that you should be able to be approved as is, we're mostly talking comfort/noise making here :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DamnitDavid said:

16 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

My thoughts exactly. If you used E6000, for example, you could just rip off the back coverstrip on the thighs, trim them down some, and reglue, no hassle.

Thanks guys. I've been playing around with it a bit. Actually thinking that if it was carefully trimmed down a little (max 2cm) on the inner thigh then it would fit much better overall without clashing with the codpiece. Would that be a problem for approval?

It that doesn't seem doable or acceptable, then I'll talk with RS about mods or new parts. Have other simpler projects that I'm keen to do - Christine's post convinced me to try making some magnetic closure shins, I have a box of liners and electronics for the helmet, and another box with 3D blaster parts and electronics.

I was really worried about posting on the forum, and about what sort of response I'd get - but so happy that I did :)

2 hours ago, Roverpus said:

Would that be a problem for approval?

In short: no:)

2 hours ago, Roverpus said:

I was really worried about posting on the forum, and about what sort of response I'd get - but so happy that I did

No need to worry - we all want you to look your best and to have a great time becoming an awesome looking Stormtrooper - the more the merrier:salute:

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

No need to worry - we all want you to look your best and to have a great time becoming an awesome looking Stormtrooper - the more the merrier:salute:

Thanks Daniel :) 

But progress after a lot of measuring and fiddling! The right thigh is not symmetrical to the left - cut 1-2 cm longer on the inner thigh. Fixing this will solve a lot.

In addition, I could probably adjust the torso to be a little shorter overall - to stop the codpiece and bum "hanging" This will help to space things out better. 

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, Neb Sgird said:

Put some additional snaps in, attaching the but to the kidney, on the outside of the two pieces. I would space them even further to the outside than the below diagram.

I'm not really sure what's the best was to fix that, looking at the diagram. The chestplate is already cut down, so what are the options? Can I remould the shoulder straps down and closer, or can I readjust strapping and overlap something some more? It would be really great if this could all look and fit a little better.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:31 AM, Roverpus said:

But I am struggling with the thighs and shins and appreciate help. The thigh pieces seem big so I belt them up high to avoid them clanking around. After checking FISD and reference books to see how snug they should be - there is mention of "2 finger" tolerance between thigh and leg, but most of the pictures look pretty snug fit. They just feel loose (maybe store my phone there?). Not sure if this there is anything that I can do about this now? The shins have a life of their own, resisting various Velcro and padding attempts. They either slip down or around. But see there are lots of people/thread with the same shin-challenge so hope I will find a solution to that.

From personal experience, you don't want the thighs to be too tight, but you also don't want them knocking around too loose.  I like mine pulled up higher because it helps the bottoms not dig into the back of my knees.  One of our guys stores his trading cards in one of his.  

As to your butt plate, mine likes to pop out like that too- I've also seen the same on another woman, so I think it might have something to do with the feminine shape.  Giving it a little extra length in snap plates should help that, though- just a little bit so it gives it a little give and lets it not bump and overlap onto the kidney.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

As to your butt plate, mine likes to pop out like that too- I've also seen the same on another woman, so I think it might have something to do with the feminine shape.  Giving it a little extra length in snap plates should help that, though- just a little bit so it gives it a little give and lets it not bump and overlap onto the kidney. 

Thanks. I suspect it is my bum, but will see if I can improve it. Because I'm not planning on wearing Spanx underneath ;) 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 2:00 AM, Roverpus said:

ctually thinking that if it was carefully trimmed down a little (max 2cm) on the inner thigh then it would fit much better overall without clashing with the codpiece. Would that be a problem for approval?

When trimming your thighs, be sure to take off half off how much you need from each side. Trim from the back, but if you plan to take off 2 cm, take off 1 from each side. That will keep your thighs from looking lopsided.