Roity Requesting Pre Approval (RS ANH Stunt)

roity

Name:  David Roitman

Garrison:  Knightfall Garrison (VIC, Australia)

Armor maker:  RS Prop Makers

Helmet maker:  RS Prop Makers

Cloth belt maker:  RS Prop Makers 

Neck seal maker:  RS Prop Makers 

Boot maker:  Imperial Boots

Blaster maker: RS Prop Masters

Height:  5' 8"

Weight: 69kg

TK type:  ANH stunt

Here is a set of photos I'll be using to submit for approval.

Holding%20Helmet.jpg

Front%20Arms%20Down.jpg

Rear.jpg

Left%20Side.jpg

Right%20side.jpg

Action.jpg

Chest.jpg

blaster.jpg

Hi David,

What a beautiful set of armour! RS really do make amazing kits, and you’ve done a really good job with it. Personally, I think you’re a shoe-in for a quick clearance. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Should you want to take it further after your basic clearance, you could probably make some very minor changes to take it an extra step.

You could shorten the shoulder bell straps to bring those bells closer to the shoulder bridges.

120464b8642bf51ceca763e4d78ddc2c.jpg

Your painted ab buttons are possibly a tiny bit small (yes, I’m clutching at straws here as you’ve done such a good job!!).

5a13fafdab95744a32085fd57bd5b20b.jpg

These are easy changes should you wish to make them, and it looks like Expert Infantry is well within reach after you're cleared. If you wanted to go for Centurion down the line, you’d just need to look at making those shims seamless. :-)

As I mentioned, great job!! Can’t see any obvious clearance concerns.

Bet of luck with clearance. :salute:

Dan

Edited by CableGuy
  • Like 1

Yep, should be an easy pass for basic approval.  Nice work!  :duim:

Upper level approval is very close too. 

In addition to what Dan mentioned, you may have to clean up what looks like (unless the light is playing tricks) a shim along your kindey-ab seam. 

Congrats on your armor!

Thanks Dan, wow, that the ab button detail is potentially one I wouldn't have likely picked up on - you've now got me tempted to analyse and cross-reference everything! :) Color shades even look different unless it's just the lighting but yeah the reference is definitely more well covered over.

Thanks Greg, yes, the belt has caused me a little bit of an issue with the seam as it's been fraying, not sure if I'll try and seal it up with something but will potentially contact RS Props about it as we had to cut quite a few strands off to tidy it up before taking photos.

Cheers,

Dave

8 minutes ago, roity said:

Thanks Dan, wow, that the ab button detail is potentially one I wouldn't have likely picked up on - you've now got me tempted to analyse and cross-reference everything! :) Color shades even look different unless it's just the lighting but yeah the reference is definitely more well covered over.

Hehe - don't overthink it Dave, it really does look great! 99% of people wouldn't take a second look at those buttons - I'm just odd like that*... :laugh1:

*just ask Greg about me and tube stripes!!! lol

Woo! Looking fantastic! I would echo the shim comment from earlier. It won't impact your basic approval at all, but will go far in making you look that extra level of awesome.

On that topic, it looks like your ab is just sinking lower than the kidney. This is a pretty common problem and you can see it on screen quite a bit. But if you want to get around it, you can employee a sort of latch system on the inside to keep the ab from sinking below the kidney. I can post a picture of mine later if you'd like, just let me know.

Thanks Dan, wow, that the ab button detail is potentially one I wouldn't have likely picked up on - you've now got me tempted to analyse and cross-reference everything!  Color shades even look different unless it's just the lighting but yeah the reference is definitely more well covered over.

Thanks Greg, yes, the belt has caused me a little bit of an issue with the seam as it's been fraying, not sure if I'll try and seal it up with something but will potentially contact RS Props about it as we had to cut quite a few strands off to tidy it up before taking photos.

Cheers,
Dave

I wouldn’t worry about the belt fraying. It’s quite normal for an accurately made belt. Have a look at the belts in the Tantive and you’ll be able to see them fraying up to the seam.

I agree this should be an easy pass for basic!  I'd echo making the buttons a little bigger, and tightening the shoulder bells just that tiny bit.  Are the ab rivets on the shim tab, or is that just shadows?  

Just to avoid confusion, I think the belt is fine - a little fraying is no problem. The “shims” that we mentioned are the extra white bits of plastic added to either side of the kidney plate.

05d59270d21cf7d223ce8fc7117e55ab.jpg

These should be fine for basic and (I believe) EIB, but would need to look “seamless” for Centurion.

Best wishes,

Dan

Thankyou for the further follow up, and clarification on the shims.  I'm focusing on basic approval so I can actually join some local troops, but I do now intend on addressing the button paint & shoulders as well either way.  I know, I AM over thinking the buttons but now that it's been pointed out, that's all I'll constantly remember.  I'm concerned about movement constraint with shoulders pressed up against chest....  I'm a reasonable candidate for "too short for a storm trooper" and the constraint on my ability to move much physically such as... run (no way), jog (not really), crouch (great difficulty), lunge (difficulty), sit (no way and will crack butt plate) is already an issue.  I'm still learning to "walk" with armour on as at the moment it looks like I basically walk with a pole shoved up my behind as I over compensate for the armour size constraints..  :(

My next practice run will be at the local miniature railway for maybe 4 hours or so - I'm a volunteer there but no chance I'll be driving a miniature train or riding one on the day :(:lol: 

• Like 1

Hehe. I’m about 5ft 11 and can’t do ANY of the things you’ve mentioned above!! ;-)

Don’t take anything we’ve mentioned as a negative. As we said, you’re looking AWESOME for basic and will be a great addition to your local Garrison.

Once you’ve done that bit, you can then decide if you do any little mods down the line.

I’m sure we’ll be seeing a post from you shortly when you announce your TKID as a 501st Imperial Stormtrooper!!! Now, get that clearance request in.

Best wishes.
Dan

Looking good man. I’m in the same boat. Hard to do anything in that suit. Realized that after I decided to build. Although your gonna love it when you troop it’s a lot of fun. When I started my build I was shooting for centurion, got basic and I’m good for now. Fine tune everything and go back afterwards. Main thing is basic and making kids smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dave - nice looking RS suit and as others have stated basic approval is a slam-dunk:salute: And I think you are right to fix the ab buttons and shoulders, althoug the general public would never notice it looks so much better  :jc_doublethumbup:  I do have a question about the shims, do you even need them?:)

• Like 1

Hi Dave,  I had to add shims to my RS kit as I’m 86kg and the kit really suits someone with a smaller frame. Have a look at my EIB application (second EIB page in Mworm1974) you can see how I did them there, but like Daniel says it almost looks like you don’t need them, however if you do like Dan said they have to be seamless for Centurion.

Basic should be all good.

matt

Edited by Mworm1974

G'day again,

I really appreciate the compliments and feedback, and will look into the buttons and get the shoulders re-aligned.  However, you've all been saying great job and patting me on the back for an awesome looking build when I don't deserve it, this is an RS Props FULL COMMISSION kit, they shipped the kit fully assembled and finished Ready to wear.  So all kudos goes to RS Props for a quality fully assembled kit.

I understand a majority core of this large group is likely kit builders that strive for quality self built costumes which I admire & respect, however, I chose to spend a few extra dollars as I'm most keen to get out and troop.  A combination of family life and probably some laziness (or hurry to get out trooping) lead me to this choice as it would have taken me MONTHS if not longer to find the time to hand assemble a kit.  This was my "quick way in" to get started - my intent is to purchase an Anovos First Order stormtrooper kit once I've gotten some experience in the group and slowly build that kit.

Hopefully you don't feel cheated or miss informed - I never intended to miss lead anyone or hide that this was a full commission, but hindsight tells me I should have provided this detail in my initial post.  Thanks again for the reviews, comments and feedback.  The approval is now with the GML.

Cheers,

Dave

Great to hear your approval is in. :-)

Don’t worry about it being a commission build. The important thing is enjoying your armour and enjoying some trooping.:jc_doublethumbup:

Best wishes,

Dan

Edited by CableGuy

In the end of the day it`s about beeing a Stormtrooper and putting smiles to faces, how one go about it is up to each and everyone to decide for themselves, some like the building aspect and some rather buy a comission. Kudos though for not taking kudos for someone elses work:duim: 

Best of luck with your approval but as I said - it`s a slam dunk:salute:

• Like 1

Im the GML reviewing Dave's costume.

Just a quick question on the screw heads at bottom of chest plate, back plate and top of kidney plate.

Obviously they are holding some strapping in place but to me that doesnt look right and is not listed in any of the CRLS.

I am also going to ask for the frayed belt to be fixed as i have seen it in person and it does need some attention.

Other than that the costume is good, just concerned about those screw heads

Cheers

Duncs 8503

Chest.jpg

1 hour ago, Duncs said:

Im the GML reviewing Dave's costume.

Just a quick question on the screw heads at bottom of chest plate, back plate and top of kidney plate.

Obviously they are holding some strapping in place but to me that doesnt look right and is not listed in any of the CRLS.

I am also going to ask for the frayed belt to be fixed as i have seen it in person and it does need some attention.

Other than that the costume is good, just concerned about those screw heads

Screws or rivets where used on the bracket system, there was also some fraying to some belts

Ab_Plate_06.jpg

DSC03112_zpse6984261.jpg 

DSC02490.jpg

IMG 20160313 153241

IMG 20160313 153024

Great thanks for the info on the screw heads.

The frayed belt however is still a problem in my eyes. Perhaps the costumes have fallen apart over time (Time stamp on those pics are 2007)  but were the original belts frayed on set?

Anyway ill approve it as its a slight thing but personally its something i might want to fix on my own in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

Duncs

20 minutes ago, Duncs said:

The frayed belt however is still a problem in my eyes. Perhaps the costumes have fallen apart over time (Time stamp on those pics are 2007)  but were the original belts frayed on set?

ScreenShot72473.jpg

ScreenShot69033.jpg

ScreenShot68946.jpg

Well done for getting your clearance! :-)

Glad the strapping screws are being allowed. Very screen accurate.
Belt looks lovely in the pictures. That wear looks very ANH. Maybe it’s more frayed than the pictures show?

Time to get that EIB application in? :-)

Best wishes,
Dan