Wook's Totally Dirty (TD) Build - AP

wook1138

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I really like where you’re going with this, Greg. I’m really enjoying seeing your effort to make it look natural, and to specifically mimic screen used. You can’t get better than the look of screen used, in my opinion. :-)

Out of interest, what did you do with the airbrush? Just a light dusting?

Thanks! 

For the airbrush, yeah - mostly a light dusting and to help blend in the hard edges of the base layer (acrylic rubs).   The first layer of airbrush is put on a bit thicker and is used to build up the darker areas and it gets partly wiped away with mineral spirits.  The last layer is the sand coloured layer - this is strictly for the purpose of light dusting. 

• Like 1

Well, it pains me but I decided to redo my chest to match the shins a bit better. Plus, it will be easier to match other pieces moving forward. I want to get the reddish colour from the burnt umber to match the sandstone of the original filming location.

Removed most of yesterday’s work except a few dark spots.
2fae37054a30a6f7771c6ad26221c132.jpg

I used several light washes of burnt umber to bring back the colour and contrast.
6d67d9079f1b8be95669f6ba9e310625.jpg

And then work some of the extra paint away with a damp cloth. I haven’t added the airbrush layers yet. I’ll let this paint dry/set overnight.
505921b1486bebcd1e9602867ca811e9.jpg

4b9793e83d7784eb2ed3ca941e8789df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Love the pattern. :-)

Is it just the camera or is the screen used a little more brown - like a soil type colour?

Thanks!  This has proven to be more difficult than I anticipated.  I shouldn't be surprised at this point.  :)

Short answer: yep - I'm not done with the colour yet. ;) The colours go on in layers as washes.

Long answer: To be honest - who knows what colour the actual screen-used weathering was.  But, based on most of the pics I've found, yeah, the weathering appears more dirt or dark grey coloured than the reddish burnt umber brown.  I still have to add the black / grey colour layers yet - so it will (hopefully) look more like the reference pic (if that is what you mean).  Also, don't trust that reference pic above for colour - I think I ran it through a filter or two in photoshop to bring out other details. 

About the colour:

Word on the street is that there is some amount of red or rust in the colouring of the weathering (ukswrath) - to match the on-location (Ajim, Tunisia) sand/soil.  Also, motor oil used with local dirt was used on set (I think I got that from Pandatrooper at MEPD), and recent attempts to replicate this process returned a rich brown colour.  I am under the impression that the film process and lighting would desaturate the warmer brown colours (the majority of the reference pics).  I recently found a behind the scenes pic of the troopers in the alley before the Falcon takes off - you can distinctly see areas of reddish brown weathering and areas of just black or charcoal coloured weathering.  Is this what it looked like in person?  Is the picture's crappy quality affecting the colour? Who knows, but the pic probably has better colour representation than what you will see on the release film stock / Blu-ray transfer.  I can't post pics right now, I'll try to remember to post the pic later. 

This doesn't help me with the colouring on the chest, but it has helped me decide on how to approach the weathering in general. 

Also, you may have noticed that I've flipped-flopped on my subtle or "realistic" approach to weathering.  I'm still using the airbrush to make it look a bit better up close in person, but it seems one needs that stronger colour and contract to hold up in photos (to a certain point) - and it seems to be more accurate in terms of on-set appearance.  Somebody did tests (maybe Pandatrooper again) with the strong weathering by taking pictures and blurring/compressing them to match the reference pictures - the test compared very nicely with the reference pics.

I'm going for a balance of how it appears in the movie and how it may have appeared on set.  And with that, I'll probably get both wrong. :P

• Like 1

I’m just adding washes of burnt umber and black. Trying to build up the dirtiness of certain areas. It is a slow process and I’ll be too busy this weekend to work on the armour. So close!

bc5ede384c2e9b9f693770d75dd2c03b.jpg

• Like 2

Weathering of everything but the helmet and soft parts is done. I also removed the paint run line from the helmet and redid it with a better colour. I also added the cheek crack and some random spots of HDPE green to simulate paint chips. Of course I won’t have as many chips as the non-screen capture reference pics since they are way after the fact, but they do give ideas as to where the paint may have chipped off. Overall the weathering is stronger than I planned, much stronger, but I’m generally happy with it.

5fe93480d6cb4b9df9b88d6892c30ec8.jpg

89e32533dd78cac22ca1065a9763c1cc.jpg

f9cca55873a701812c118d71a8d4cc9f.jpg

90b5cb5c9afaa63f5552a54377e4c942.jpg

5d7453438a4c22261e1b5f6dad3a4d54.jpg

6e211ea87fa589b56b18847da06c96f2.jpg

• Like 4

Last major weathering hurdle - the bucket. There isn’t much reference for the left side or back so I took some artistic license. I still need to attach the Hovi mics and install the lens.

bc68455df9087185ad19d8f2f5c67bee.jpg

aed5b3b1168a6c4769f189ec9ab7e926.jpg

ccc96a2755244ddf3a4546d0a7ae9c1f.jpg

570a76ce0ea7ebbe14f45f80743a511e.jpg

c6fd664d2dd901335d849b2a8d1cea98.jpg

Reference
7d5cfaadeb4278bb68cd414e62069302.jpg

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trixim said:

I know there is an entire article on this exact trooper I read it last night. Very thorough. Check out http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-move-along-helmet.htm

They have handled and photographed the original helmet.

Greg is doing the ”stop that ship-Trooper” which is a different helmet, they do a comparision in the one you linked though and another article with just the ”stop that ship”  http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-stop-that-ship-helmet.htm but @wook1138 have you cut a 4th tooth? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Greg is doing the ”stop that ship-Trooper” which is a different helmet, they do a comparision in the one you linked though and another article with just the ”stop that ship”  http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-stop-that-ship-helmet.htm but @wook1138 have you cut a 4th tooth?  

No.  Three teeth per side.  I forgot to use the flash when I took the pictures. - everything looks so dark.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trixim said:

I know there is an entire article on this exact trooper I read it last night. Very thorough. Check out http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-move-along-helmet.htm

They have handled and photographed the original helmet.

Thanks.  Yeah, I used images from this site a lot.  Like Daniel mentioned, my helmet is the "stop that ship" guy, but both helmets were well photographed after the fact.  Starwarshelmets.com is great reading for anyone in this hobby for sure!

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 1

I can’t let Daniel ( @TheSwede ) be the only one posting pics of dirty buckets. Added the Hovi mics and green lens. I used the screen accurate green. I might switch out for the darker lens. Also shaved some more off the ears to increase the ear gap. Took pics inside and outside to test the look.

71e9b459e2797f43e88779d25e0b52ca.heic

534195ab3ccb5721d3c7f69e02da5816.heic

0a8db5cc4ce0b515de58e53d490f4afb.heic

afe952b0cc25695d681f3753581c4465.heic

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 3

First test fit with the weathering and pauldron. Still need to make my thigh garter (temp setup being used) and proper shoulder straps. And yes, those are my dancing shoes (need to weather boots, pauldron, and pouches). I didn’t bother with the pouches but the wife snapped a few pics of the fitting so I tried some poses. Daniel, I was in a hurry and totally botched the pose. Next time :) And I need to finish the T-21.

c7a7462ccdbdcf7b64f188a51343afc2.jpg

6291817d9f7bae7ef53ddfecf0a9b9ac.jpg

68b69fe8ec832ae71be7da4c48bc2e20.jpg

0e03abd5694e80613060e991365d3a9f.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, CableGuy said:

VERY nice!!! Looking incredibly screen used. Really nicely weathered. :-)

Thanks!  My five year old son told me the weathering looked fake.  I told him it was paint.  He asked why I ruined my armour.  :glare:

• Like 2