Wook's Totally Dirty (TD) Build - AP

wook1138

So, I'm starting another build - much to my wife's chagrin.  I got another AP kit a while ago (untrimmed with belt and flexible handguards) and I'm finally starting the build.  The difference this time is that I'm building a Sandtrooper.  The build is very similar so I'm posting the build here at FISD and I will post the more TD-specific stuff over at MEPD.  The only real differences between the TK and TD are:

• TD is dirty
  • TD has a pauldron, pouches, and sometimes a pack
  • TD does not have plastic shoulder bridges or large button panel on ab.  They also don't have the 4 button panel - they have a three button panel (not painted)
  • TD is dirty
  • TD does not have the black lines on the traps or tears of the helmet
  • Sniper knee plate if different shape.
  • TD is dirty
  • TD does not have holster or TD (or drop boxes) on the belt

I think that is pretty much it.

I thought a TD build here might be good for new troopers who are debating a TD build.  And I know a lot of people here have completed a TD as well as a TK, so I'm sure I will get pointers on either site.

The fun part about the TD build is that one is encouraged to build a specific onscreen trooper.  There was no question for which trooper I wanted to build.  This guy:

DHL9PL3.jpg

The captain that talks to Garindan.

cwujtKH.jpg

The first shot above was one of the most memorable trooper scenes for me back in '78 (didn't get a chance to see the movie until '78 - longest year ever).

The best part about this trooper is that the helmet is still around (it was recently at auction - I think it went for $250K, but don't quote me).  Anyway, there are pictures of the helmet floating around.  Starwarshelmets.com is a good place to see these images.  Here is an example:

Vu93m3C.jpg

MEPD has a bunch of additional reference.  They have also broken down all the different sandtroopers and what equipment they have.  This is an example of the graphics created for reference.

YLAjgLl.jpg

There is one snag to the whole process.  For basic approval in to the 501st as a TD, you need at least two pouches with one of those being a proper shoulder pouch.  So I will need to add a shoulder pouch in addition to the belt pouches.  For level 2 (PO), I need a backpack.  This trooper does not have one - so If I want to advance to level 2 I need the pack (and from what I understand, I don't need said pack for level 3).  To put together a proper pack takes some time - so I won't be doing that right away.  My plan is to build the actual armour as close as possible to what would be expected at Level 3 (SWAT) and just go for basic approval for now. 

I'm still waiting for some more pouches to arrive, but I should have a variety of pouches so that I will be able to emulate other characters - most notably the Cantina Captain who wears the exact same armor as the Garinden captain.  He also has a pack - so this might be a Plan B.

I'll post some pictures of all my collected gear later.

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 3

So I started with my helmet

d9e9668784065f7d37998b832ab3af0a.jpg

I trimmed around the ears but used a drill to avoid a sharp corner (I get nervous with sharp corners as they invite tearing).
6439db3042a12045a86584fc0447b5ff.jpg

Then I scored and snapped the extra off. cb89cc788247c82359733fe503e205ed.jpg

And then with reference pics in hand I started to carefully shape the eyes to match the original.
9fcbee853f9ba954a6b82715fc03700d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Looking good:duim: and now you got me thinking to have the same approach with my Sandy-build :huh: (UPS says my RS will be delivered tomorrow *yeey*) 

Thanks!  And that is awesome BBB-day news!  :D  The RS helmet should lend itself very well to this (with all the texture).  I was debating getting a RS helmet for this build.  Well, if I totally 'F' up this helmet I can try again with a RS.  ;)  I'm planning on re-creating some of the bumps/paint runs with ABS paste.  I'll do some tests with paint first to see what I think.  The fun begins!

12 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

The RS helmet should lend itself very well to this (with all the texture).

My thoughts exactly:duim: Had planned on yet another TM but also really wanted the direct lineage that RS provides and It fits perfectly on the sandtrooper look as you say. Although I got a pair of Shins from TM to use with the build as I like them better. (got them today as it happens - super-fast as TM shipped just 1 day after my order, thank you Paul:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:)

19 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I was debating getting a RS helmet for this build. 

I say get it! Use the "spare" to go ESB for another Centurion :jc_doublethumbup: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

I say get it! Use the "spare" to go ESB for another Centurion :jc_doublethumbup: 

Damn you, Daniel. Now you've got me thinking.  And me "thinking" usually results in my wife getting annoyed.  :icon_eek:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

I just priced out a RS helmet with shipping to Canada.  :vomit-into-the-toilet:

The Canadian dollar is not very strong... apparently. 

another belt, holster, handguards, and blaster (I just ordered another ANH E-11!).  :o

This is like one of those cults where you give away all your money to the "cause" - but in this case, I'm sending it all to various stormtrooper-related vendors.  At least here I end up with something tangible and totally cool and not just a paper cup of Kool-Aid.   

I sure hope my wife does not read this thread.  Or look at my VISA statements.  :engel:

• Like 3

That's awesome!  I'm already well down this path, but its great to see a veteran chart the same course :)

btw....TD's do not have the dropboxes...."we don't need no stiinkin dropboxes!!!"  jk

I wasn't happy with my paintjob on the traps and tears so I just tore apart my AP helmet and pretty much started from the top.  I tried to get it as close as I could to the captain you have chosen.....number of tube stripes, vocoder shape, ear rank orientation......etc.  One thing I could not mimic was the brow height as Mark had already predrilled the holes for me.  So before you grab that drill, see if you can tilt the cap upwards just a tad to mimic the onscreen high brow.....BUT, make sure your noggin can still get inside the bucket...LOL

That would be reason number two for me not mimicking the high brow as I wouldn't be able to get my head in and out.  I could trim the cap manually, but didn't want to take it there.

I'm also using the MEPD CRL that you've selected but chose to go with large Spanish pouches instead of the small ones.  I'm only looking for basic approval at this point :)

Good luck brother!

5 minutes ago, GilFran007 said:

That's awesome!  I'm already well down this path, but its great to see a veteran chart the same course :)

btw....TD's do not have the dropboxes...."we don't need no stiinkin dropboxes!!!"  jk

I wasn't happy with my paintjob on the traps and tears so I just tore apart my AP helmet and pretty much started from the top.  I tried to get it as close as I could to the captain you have chosen.....number of tube stripes, vocoder shape, ear rank orientation......etc.  One thing I could not mimic was the brow height as Mark had already predrilled the holes for me.  So before you grab that drill, see if you can tilt the cap upwards just a tad to mimic the onscreen high brow.....BUT, make sure your noggin can still get inside the bucket...LOL

That would be reason number two for me not mimicking the high brow as I wouldn't be able to get my head in and out.  I could trim the cap manually, but didn't want to take it there.

I'm also using the MEPD CRL that you've selected but chose to go with large Spanish pouches instead of the small ones.  I'm only looking for basic approval at this point :)

Good luck brother!

Ah yes, drop boxes!  I knew I forgot something :)  I'm going to add that to the first post. :salute:

Thanks for the warning!  I can barely get my melon in my current TK AP helmet, so anything that reduces the size is probably a no-go for me too.  I was hoping to trim enough away from the brow area to get the proper look.  Might be a careful balance of the two so the side traps' alignment with the ears and brow still look OK. 

Good luck on your build as well!  See you over at MEPD.

• Like 1

Loving this thread - we can definitely use some more Sandy’s in the Garrison... hmmm?

( pondering the idea )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyrates said:

Loving this thread - we can definitely use some more Sandy’s in the Garrison... hmmm?

( pondering the idea )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do it.  Give in to the dirty side.

• Like 2

So, this will be a slooooow build.  I used up all my favours with my family during my TK build.  Anyway, all I’ve managed to do is get one eye more or less shaped and started to test the positioning of the brow.

Having a number of detailed images of the helmet is great – the light plays tricks with the subtle return edges so many angles of the same thing are necessary.  And the return edges on the AP armor are a little soft, so that makes things a little tougher when you’re trimming to match the original.

5fb22153b70430b129e47925b7aa8be3.jpg

Also, that brow is as far up as it will go without trimming.  So… I guess I will be trimming the brow area of the helmet.  Also, it looks like the brow in the reference pick is thinner too.  I will also need to trim the opening at the bottom of the helmet a little more than I did with the TK so my head will fit in.

To match my helmet to the original, I’ve been taking pictures of my helmet to match the reference pictures (relative camera location and lens zoom) and overlaying the images in Photoshop.  I think I have a set-up that matches the original photos. Now I just have to mark up my helmet with some tape with reference points and I should be able to place things like tube stripes, paint runs, and cracks in the right location.  I’m terrible at free-handing anything.

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 3

Some pics of the stuff I've acquired for this build. 

I think this is all from trooperbay.  Sniper knee, original strapping kit (the screws showing on the outside of the armor is a upper level requirement), three button plate (as well as all the other button plates), S-trim, and strip stencils.  Although the stencils are the "sandtrooper" stencils, they don't match this helmet - so I will need to modify.
df419e1749c2c9f92a8fb9b66b8bdffb.jpg

Collection of pouches and my pauldron.  I couldn't decide on which pouch configuration I was going to do, so I ended up with a little of everything.  I still have a canvas shoulder pouch and two more leather MP40 pouches on the way.  I'll have plenty of pouches - I can pretty much emulate both versions of the docking bay 94 captain and the cantina captain.
dfec9777e8476d0843ed3f18d1ddc494.jpg

3D print of a T-21 from TK421 propstop
373fc60b519052bd26867b7f8f8691a3.jpg

Sling, sling swivel, tubing for theT-21.  Some wire for my DLT-19 as well.  I'm still missing a few greeblies for the T-21, but I think I have them sorted out.
462e36a6bde7a9251d672c23d1cc3f26.jpg

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 4

Just now, henselmonster said:

This is great man! You should cross post this over at MEPD as well! 

Absolutely!  I usually do the posts while I'm at work  - and for whatever reason, MEPD is blocked on my work computer.  Weekend task ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wook1138 said:

These arrived today from Anthony (blaster 8266) over at MEPD. Nice!!

327eaee6fff7fb83028f055c629eec9e.jpg

I ordered these ones as well - they look awesome:duim: well actually I sent him a PM 30min ago so don’t have them yet

Edited by TheSwede