11B30B4’s ROTK Build

Big Deal, the mouth mesh was cut about ½” larger than the mouth then hot glued in place. The chest and back are supported by the shoulder straps and side plates. Think of them at the 4 supports that connect the back and chest. This assembly then hovers over the abdomen although, hover is not really the best word. It fits snugly over the abdomen. See if these pictures helps any.

DRE2RNf.jpg

TA7gHAK.jpg

435b2LM.jpg

Darthcue, thank you for pointing out the two end teeth. I should be able to correct that this weekend.

Ok guys, I need your input… Other than the two outer teeth need paint on the helmet, please look over these pics and let me know if I am ready for EIB and Centurion approval. I think I have met all the requirement for both categories. Pending your input here, I will paint the two teeth Darthcue noted and re-shoot pics of the helmet and submit my applications for EIB then Centurion.

54N8dZS.jpg

GQuSrPM.jpg

CeRGs8i.jpg

MuGcoOT.jpg

litwV6k.jpg

0MqbOJ9.jpg

8cbv78m.jpg

CpiTo2G.jpg

n5SXFco.jpg

r0YB7GY.jpg

vkB4RgA.jpg

ys5Vpmd.jpg

KQNROvv.jpg

I await your comments. Thanks for the interest.

This is amazing work! Looks fantastic! Jealous as I have an ESB TK but love the RO Trooper! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sskunky, thank you.

Zsherman, thank you.

Ok guys, I have a question for those of you who have a Rogue One kit. Do you have issues with the lewer leg armor (shin/calf armor) rotating outwards when you walk? Even with the flex seal lining on the inside and the foam under the knee, these pieces keep rotating when I walk. They do not fit loosely, so I have no idea why they are rotating and how to stop it.

Update,

Well I have masked off and painted the two outer teeth on the helmet.

jbqxwwT.jpg

After my last group of photos I noticed that when I removed one of the lower leg armors the Velcro pulled away from the armor and took the paint with it. For whatever reason, the paint did not stick to the primer here. So I masked off the area and repainted it. After 45 minutes, I applied a layer of clear gloss and let it dry. Tomorrow, I will reapply Velcro and it will cover most of the area.

9V2jTv8.jpg

And here are the new pics of the helmet. Once FISD decides to update my account to Stormtrooper I will be able to apply for EIB and Centurion.

K9yOk7D.jpg

oxIxL2S.jpg

5r2Kjoi.jpg

Ks4s3Z0.jpg

BrNtkTr.jpg

tzQUa9X.jpg

RY2tTRf.jpg

89aa3tp.jpg

UWWfmkm.jpg

SUgQsAs.jpg

And that is it for the update. Thanks for the interest.

Edited by 11b30b4
  • Like 3

Sskunky, thank you.

Zsherman, thank you.

Ok guys, I have a question for those of you who have a Rogue One kit. Do you have issues with the lewer leg armor (shin/calf armor) rotating outwards when you walk? Even with the flex seal lining on the inside and the foam under the knee, these pieces keep rotating when I walk. They do not fit loosely, so I have no idea why they are rotating and how to stop it.

Hey bro Jeff. To stop the shins from rotating just add velcro on the upper part of your boots and the shin armor. Hope it helps.

Regarding your application to EIB and Centurion for ROTK, did you know that on the CRL for level 2 and Level 3 they require us to have the butt and joint connection on the biceps, forearms using coverstrips? Our armor currently have the overlapping connection which is only allowed for Level 1.

Did you upgrade your handplates to have a small indent on the front? This is required fir Level 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darthcue, thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I have posted a request for this to be address on the CRL thread.

As for the overlap method, Jimmiroquai’s armor is designed to give the look of the butt-joint and cover strip. Since Jimmiroquai is the only armor available, I do not see this being a determining issue for EIB and/ or centurion.

Further, the only two parts of armor that address the butt-joint are the bicep and the forearm. From what I can see, it looks like most of the CRLs were copied from another TK and then modified for the ROTK. I think the butt-joint was removed from the leg armor pieces and the arms armor got overlooked. Additionally, the butt-joint requirement is only for level 3 centurion and should not affect EIB.

As for the hand plates, the hand plates included in Jimmiroquai’s kit have the indention and are the correct Rogue One hand plates. Please see the picture below.

aIh9bEp.jpg

Also, thank you for the suggestion about the velcro on the boots. I will be playing around with that and another idea I had to see if the stop the rotation.

Update…

So I stated in a previous post that I was making individual bags for each piece of armor. Here is an example of these bags. I purchased several micro fleece blankets from Walmart for 2.50 each. I cut them to fit and uses para-cord to close them off. I have since gone back and replaced the brown para-cord with black para-cord and used black plastic slide locks on the para-cord to close the bags. So this picture is one of the forearms bags and a lower leg bag.

H6b5cn6.jpg

Also I do not recall if I mentioned that I did cut down the sides of the abdominal armor but here is a picture where you can see that it no longer protrudes above the side plate.

1ZwkjKX.jpg

And that is the update. Thank you for the interest.

• Like 1

My ROTK armor from jim is version 1 so my hand plates has no small indent on the front. i guess i will have to order the new parts from Jim. I already have the updated ab armor ug drop boxes but i still have to mod the ab details to closely match screen used armor.

darthcue, I was not aware that he made more than one version. If you wanted to do the work, I would think you could mill out the front hole with a dremel and then back it with a thin piece of polystyrene.  Another option would be to see if who ever makes the rubber hand armor for OTTKs if they do or could make a set of rogue one hand plates for you.

• Like 1

darthcue, I was not aware that he made more than one version. If you wanted to do the work, I would think you could mill out the front hole with a dremel and then back it with a thin piece of polystyrene.  Another option would be to see if who ever makes the rubber hand armor for OTTKs if they do or could make a set of rogue one hand plates for you.

I am thinking of DIY my hand plates but Jim is near my location so ordering from him is not really that a hassle.

• Like 1

Welllllllll, I posted my request for EIB on Monday and have heard nothing since. Not one post.... I assume the EIB approval guys are either way busy or they just dont know what to do with a ROTK. Anyway, here is the link.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45329-tk-20980-requesting-rotk-eib-status/

• Like 1

i checked out your build and application.  I hope you get it man, its really beautiful.   I would not be surprised if you are one of the... first or first few ROTK's requesting that level.  I wouldn't worry.  :D 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

Welllllllll, I posted my request for EIB on Monday and have heard nothing since. Not one post.... I assume the EIB approval guys are either way busy or they just dont know what to do with a ROTK. Anyway, here is the link.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45329-tk-20980-requesting-rotk-eib-status/

We're busy but we'll be with you shortly ;) 

• Like 2

KABOOM!

bEnzltG.jpg

And if my head was not inflated enough, there were no recommendations to fix anything or do anything different for Centurion. I am totally speechless since I know and see all the issues with my kit but I guess that is always the case with people who seek to do their best and are never completely happy with the results. Don't get me wrong, I do love my kit and I am very pleased with how it turned out but there are things I would like to fix on it. I also realize that I can get stuck in a cycle of fix this or that and never finish the kit. 

• Like 9

KABOOM!
bEnzltG.jpg
 And if my head was not inflated enough, there were no recommendations to fix anything or do anything different for Centurion. I am totally speechless since I know and see all the issues with my kit but I guess that is always the case with people who seek to do their best and are never completely happy with the results. Don't get me wrong, I do love my kit and I am very pleased with how it turned out but there are things I would like to fix on it. I also realize that I can get stuck in a cycle of fix this or that and never finish the kit. 

Congrats bro!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11b30b4 said:

KABOOM!

bEnzltG.jpg

Congratulations!!!! Well done and well deserved. Awesome to be the first as well. Setting a super example to follow!

• Like 1

Darthcue, Bulldog44, DEVOLVER and everyone else who has congratulated me, thank you and I appreciate all your comments.

So EIB is under my belt and I have submitted my application for Centurion, fingers crossed.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45367-tk-20980-requesting-rotk-centurion-status/

• Like 2

KABOOM!
bEnzltG.jpg

An excellent job that deserves respect! Happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zsherman, thank you for the support.

Update,

Well I got my ukswrath’s TK helmet audio system and figured out how to mount all the components. Since most people mount everything behind the chest plate I chose to do the same however, since I coated the inside of my armor with flex seal, Velcro will not stick to it.

Since I had the suspenders attached to my abdomen I incorporated a chest rig that would connect to the suspenders. The first one I build was just to rough-out the design.

aRIyyxk.jpg

Here is the second version in place. I modified this version but forgot to take pictures of the final design. So what you see here is two elastic strap pockets for the Icon and the Amplifier w/ rechargeable battery. The two strap that run vertical are secured along the top with a 1” square of Velcro. I later changed the top strap on the Amplifier w/ rechargeable battery and used some 1/8” shock cord. I also added two outside edge elastic wire routing loops. The back side of the whole chest rig is a pouch that can hold my money clip or even a cell phone since I have been at a loss for where to carry this stuff when I am in costume. The whole chest rig is held in place with two Velcro straps that wrap around each suspender straps and Velcro to the backside of the chest rig.

pJAIcUR.jpg

Inside the helmet, I mounted the two Hovi speakers and routed the cabling with Velcro.

QGOFzqz.jpg

I made two elastic loop that will slide along my left arm and hand to hold the PTT cable in place under the armor and secure the button inside my left hand. Sorry no picture, but you get the idea.

Once all this was figured out I packed up the TK kit and my Mando kit for DragonCon. 16 days and a wake-up. This is the first time in 10 years that my DragonCon kits were done with time to spare for DragonCon. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

4Vvmed1.jpg

Well that is everything so far and I am still waiting to hear back on the Centurion status. I hope to start on the Jedah Patrol Pack in the next few days. Thanks for the interest.

• Like 5

Well I was working on the Jedah Patrol pack and pulled out the laptop to get some reference pictures and noticed that I had a notification on FISD. Soooooooo it is official. I am not the first ever Rogue One TK to be approved for both EI and Centurion. I am very humbled and speechless. Just Wow!

ASKWXoe.jpg

• Like 6

Congratulations once again from a fellow first achiever, looks good on you’re side profile too ;)

• Like 1

gmrhodes13, thank you. 

Ok guys, well I assume that most if not all of you noticed the site outage over the past week? I was not complacent during this time. I started and finished my Crystal Patrol Pack. I would have preferred postings daily and you guys providing feedback but that would have been impossible since I could not post anything about the build on the site.

I did log all my activity and post it here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45419-11b30b4’s-ro-crystal-patrol-pack-build/

And here are a few pictures to entice you.

7qfDRkL.jpg

mjicZC6.jpg

Next I will be starting on my T-21 and I will link the build on this thread as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

Parade pic with some other Rogue One kits.

TNh06uZ.jpg

Mando Con Crawl pic.

pvkBvLF.jpg

Well DragonCon has passed and trooped (for the first time ever) my kit with the Crystal Patrol Pack for the parade. This was my first troop in this kit and I had some issues with the kit that I will detail here:

1.       I needed to remove the thermal detonator from the back belt because the pack was pushing down on it and was causing the back belt to come off. Luckily, I realized this before the parade and made the adjustment. Thank God I made the thermal detonator removable.

2.       Even with the added felt strips to the pack frame I still experienced some damage to the back plate.

3.       One of my biggest concerns about the pack was that it would damage the armor shoulder straps but that turned out to not be an issue at all; however, when I packed all the armor in my transport box to take to DragonCon, I must have failed to pack everything correctly. When I unpacked everything in the hotel room I realized that one of the shoulder straps was cracked and the back plate on the left shoulder under the shoulder strap had cracked as well.

4.       I had planned on getting a touch-up pin for the white paint I used but forgot to do so. When I noticed the crack in the armor and was already at DragonCon, I had a repair kit with me but no paint.

5.       The backpack and pauldron worked out perfectly and took no damage at all. I even snagged the antenna a few times getting to and from the parade and the fishing pole held up great.

6.       My left lower leg kept rotating outward. Even when I added Velcro inside the armor and sewn some on the boots, the Velcro simply detached from the armor and did nothing to hold the leg armor in place. I noticed the industrial strength was not staying stuck to the inside of the armor before I headed to DragonCon and I even used some non-sticky backed Velcro that was glued inside the armor with CA glue and that still came off. Not sure what to do to fix this issue.

7.       Industrial strength sticky-backed Velcro failed all over the armor. Most of the time is came loose when it was stuck to a non-painted surface like the inside of armor. In these instances it was applied to the primed side of the armor that I did not coat with the flex seal. It seem to stick just fine at my house but in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity, it came loose in a lot of places. Not sure how I will address this either.

Ok, so here is my damage assessment of the armor:

The cracked left shoulder on the back plate, damaged in transport. The arrow shows that the crack continues under the shoulder strap.

ixB8QKw.jpg

The right shoulder strap cracked during transport. I had CA glue in my repair kit but no paint. I found some white finger nail polish at CVS and used it over the superglue. It worked in a pinch but I need to get a touch-up paint pen.

6EM2NFs.jpg

The damage to back plate from wearing the backpack. Paint worn off in several areas. I kind of expected this but I will need to add some foam to the pack frame to keep this from happening in the future.

LwOxU0z.jpg

bKBzeZD.jpg

Left thigh experienced paint being worn away near the top front. The red circle is my attempt to cover with nail polish. I think this is being caused by the drop boxes or possibly if I bend over, by the belt boxes.

c5ZvvM3.jpg

This is a crack on the side of the left thigh. I actually did this a few weeks ago when I experminted with sticking my cell phone inside the thigh armor but I bent down and cracked the armor. The cell phone survived but the armor didn’t. I tried to use nail polish on this before the parade.

YqMkcKq.jpg

Right thigh, same kind of paint wear.

tT5jplo.jpg

Left gauntlet paint wear, no idea what caused this. However, I did have issues with the gauntlets rotating on my arms. Not sure how to fix this.

PibR3eh.jpg

Right bicep paint wear in the armpit area and side. I guess this happened from just rubbing on the side of the abdomen.

A7mqgXW.jpg

Similar type or wear on the left bicep as well.

glv0xeq.jpg

Right thigh cracked along the front cover strip. Since I do not open and close this part, I think this is caused when I squeeze the Velcro on the back closed.

Ax6Cwot.jpg

Right lower leg cracked on side of the front and again I think this is due to opening and closing the armor. Also notice the arrows point to paint damage.

J6G8CAk.jpg

Right lower leg cracked along the front cover strip. Most likely due to opening and closing this part to put it on and off.

Q4t05nK.jpg

Outside the right side lower leg paint damage. Also notice the Velcro that detached from the inside of the armor. Almost no adhesive left on it.

rMK4Fy8.jpg

Back cover plate, lots of paint damage. I guess this is just the back plate rubbing on it.

3XaWdmq.jpg

Cod piece paint damage from under the front box belt.

pzhlpiV.jpg

But plate cracked in two places.

jn0j0eS.jpg

Abdomen plate cracked along front and paint worn. Possibly from wearing too tight and rubbing from chest plate.

5LbwnEG.jpg

Abdomen plate worn on both sides along the top rim. I think this was the bicep armor.

ms43vEg.jpg

VFNHxSV.jpg

Right side outer box on the front belt. The bottom rivet has come loose.

oBuVQGr.jpg

The thermal detonator before I took it off. This must have been the back pack frame.

gY3JSIP.jpg

fjl3jkV.jpg

Lastly, those $65.00 gloves from Imperial Boots busted seams again. I am not happy with the quality of these gloves and will be contacting IB.

V7wuPaO.jpg

kGO6fLm.jpg

So, I have my work cut out for the foreseeable future. Some of this stuff will be touch up but some of it will require more extensive repairs. Overall, I am not a happy camper. A $1,200 set of armor should not be this damaged from one troop. Granted it was parade, but come on, I am in the process to getting a full vacuumed formed rogue one kit and we will see if it holds up better.

That’s the update, thanks for the interest.

Edited by 11b30b4
  • Like 1